Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Think you saw less deer this year?

You did,

Harvest numbers down 8% from last year, lowest since 1987

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...emailAFriend=1

Pa. deer harvest drops to lowest level since 1987

March 24, 2010

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Deer hunters in Pennsylvania bagged the lowest number of deer in the commonwealth since 1987, according to state figures.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission says hunters killed an estimated 308,920 deer during the 2009-10 deer season, an 8 percent drop from the season before. The record low was 300,014 deer taken in 1986-87.
    Links

The agency's chief deer biologist, Chris Rosenberry, declined to speculate on the reason for the low total.

But Stephen Mohr, president of Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania, called the current deer management program "fatally flawed." His group has filed suit accusing the commission of mismanaging the deer population.

Commission officials say they are trying to correct decades of mismanagement allowing too many deer that degraded the state's forests. An independent review last month cited pluses and minuses but called the program generally "sound."
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Think you saw less deer this year?

The agency's chief deer biologist, Chris Rosenberry, declined to speculate on the reason for the low total.
    Here Chris, let me help you out. Coyotes and mountain lions are the key words of the day.

I don't even know why they call it "wildlife management"... they don't manage crap.
    III%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Here Chris, let me help you out. Coyotes and mountain lions are the key words of the day.

I don't even know why they call it "wildlife management"... they don't manage crap.
    No, key word of the day is Over-allocation of doe tags, urban sprawl, and predators.

just for fun...

870,000 antlerless permits
    850,000 hunting licenses

1720000 total permits to harvest deer with

308000 total harvested

thats a less then 18% success rate

and lets not forget that the PGC automatically inflates the total harvest by 50% - 100% to account for people who didn't tag any deer, so its most likely lower then the 308k that is reported
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    No, key word of the day is Over-allocation of doe tags, urban sprawl, and predators.

just for fun...

850,000 hunting licenses

308000 total harvested

and lets not forget that the PGC automatically inflates the total harvest by 50% - 100% to account for people who didn't tag any deer, so its most likely lower then the 308k that is reported
    Oh, no doubt. I was just hitting on the very tiny tip of the iceberg. There is definitely a DEEP problem with the PGC management and has been for a few years now...
    III%

(Wayne County)

In my neck of the woods, SG 312 , the deer are all in the private communities that surround it getting fed , There's lot's of deer , there just not where you can hunt them..

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    In my neck of the woods, SG 312 , the deer are all in the private communities that surround it getting fed , There's lot's of deer , there just not where you can hunt them..
    That's another viable reason. A LOT of land is posted private property anymore. If you don't have land, or know someone that does, you're pretty much going on the SGL with the other 85% of the state's hunters. It's a shame. I can't really blame the property owners too much, but it just sucks. When some people have 100+ acres but wont let anyone hunt on it. You KNOW that's where some of them are staying, but you can't get them... it's especially bad when the land you hunt on is adjacent to the posted land, and you know they are all over on the other property.
    III%

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

just for fun...

850,000 hunting licenses

308000 total harvested

Link to the deer management info.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576872&mode=2
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post

Mountian lions??
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    Mountian lions??
    Yes. .....

BTW: I'm not cutting down any rangers or officers by any means. I'm talking about the management officials.
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; March 24th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    III%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    You mean they are changing from the "Kill everything with a white tail that can get hit by a car" plan that they've been using for a few years now?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast