Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Selling a bare Ruger 10/22 reciever. FTF or FFL?

I have a spare Ruger 10/22 receiver that I don't need... So, I'm going to sell it..

Question is, does this need to transfer through an FFL dealer or can this be a FTF transfer like a long gun? The unit was pulled from a rifle (and for verification, the serial number is in defined 'rifle' numbers according to Ruger.com)

I think it's the later, but since in theory a charger 'could' be built, does that make it a handgun transfer.

Thanks in advance.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Selling a bare Ruger 10/22 reciever. FTF or FFL?

If it was assembled as a rifle it is a rifle receiver.
    Period.

FTF, FFL, whatever., same as a complete rifle.

HTH

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Period.

HTH
    That's what I thought,,, Thank you for the prompt reply...

Period.

HTH
    And just to emphasize a point, it's a Federal felony to ever assemble that receiver as a pistol, without a pre-approved, tax-paid Form 1.

A "short barreled rifle" is defined as any weapon made from a rifle, if it is under 26" overall or has a barrel under 16". A pistol will likely fall under at least one of those. So making a pistol from a stripped rifle receiver that's otherwise identical to a Charger pistol, is a felony.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    And just to emphasize a point, it's a Federal felony to ever assemble that receiver as a pistol, without a pre-approved, tax-paid Form 1.

A "short barreled rifle" is defined as any weapon made from a rifle, if it is under 26" overall or has a barrel under 16". A pistol will likely fall under at least one of those. So making a pistol from a stripped rifle receiver that's otherwise identical to a Charger pistol, is a felony.
    That was not his question

Pa.liketokeepitsimplePatriot

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

That was not his question

Pa.liketokeepitsimplePatriot
    As though that's going to even slow me down.....

Seriously, I like to head off anyone who thinks they see a loophole in the PA statutes that restrict FTF sales of handguns, but allow private sales of rifles (the Commissioner of the PA State Police comes to mind.) It's counter-intuitive that 2 identical pistols could have a completely and drastically different legal status, based only on the prior assembly history of the receivers.

One of the reasons that I have my workshops is because of the many sensible but dangerously incorrect beliefs held by some PA gun owners. "I can drive around with a handgun in my car without a license, as long as it's unloaded" is one; there's no obvious danger presented by an unloaded gun, so SURELY the law only punishes people with LOADED guns, right? Nope. And that mistake is at least a Misdemeanor 1, which is a lifetime prohibitor for all firearm ownership.

(Montgomery County)

well, 2 things:

you cant buy a bare stripped ruger 10/22 receiver from ruger, only a 22 rifle, thus its clear the previously assembled receiver was a rifle.

also, the Ruger "Charger" pistol receivers are marked CHARGER not 10/22, and are also not available stripped or unbuilt from ruger.

there 's no loophole to exploit
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    well, 2 things:

you cant buy a bare stripped ruger 10/22 receiver from ruger, only a 22 rifle, thus its clear the previously assembled receiver was a rifle.

also, the Ruger "Charger" pistol receivers are marked CHARGER not 10/22, and are also not available stripped or unbuilt from ruger.

Well, that would sure make the prosecution simpler.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    ..... Seriously, I like to head off anyone who thinks they see a loophole in the PA statutes that restrict FTF sales of handguns, but allow private sales of rifles (the Commissioner of the PA State Police comes to mind.) It's counter-intuitive that 2 identical pistols could have a completely and drastically different legal status, based only on the prior assembly history of the receivers .....
    I guess I can see how that correlates to my original question... Not what i was asking, but good info for someone,,,, While I have you posting though, here is a question on the subject...

Not related to me or this sale,,, but....

Lets say you found a receiver for a 10.22 for sale that was originally a charger from the factory. it's now stripped. You might or might not know it was a charger. If the the FFL transfers as a pistol it can be assembled as pistol (obviously?) but what if an FFL transfers without a the white form and it goes through as a rifle... is it always a rifle than? regardless if it ever was. Does the buyer even have the option to transfer as pistol? Same question but backwards....

or, What if one takes charger and adds a stock and a 16" barrel which is legal. Is it now a rifle... and if so, it should transfer as such, Correct? Even though the S/N if researched would be a pistol. How is a prospective buyer to know that what they had was once a pistol?

Hope my line of inquiry makes sense....

EDIT: jaybell answered the second part of my inquiry... Obviously you can tell I've never seen a charger receiver up close...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    well, 2 things:

but you can buy stripped from many 3rd party firearm manufactures. 10.22 clones or more specific improved 10.22 receivers are pretty common.

Volquartesen, Tactical Innovations, MOA, Razor, etc, etc....
    Last edited by BIA_Design; March 24th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast