Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default carrying on the appalachian trail

Doing a backpacking trip and would like to carry while hiking the trail. Is this legal?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: carrying on the appalachian trail

I'm not an expert, but I assume since it's owned by the NPS you are permitted to carry as long as you have an LTCF. Just be sure to stay in PA and not unknowingly walk into another state.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lightsdarkness View Post
    Doing a backpacking trip and would like to carry while hiking the trail. Is this legal?
    You were VERY general in your question so no one can given you a real complete answer. The issue is that the AT goes from GA to ME and of course many of the states between. It passes through national parks, state parks, national forests, state forests, state game lands, private property, small towns and large towns.

Within PA you should be good to go if you have a valid PA (or reciprocal state) LTCF. The other states all depend on your particular license/permit situation and in many cases the laws of those states. I would definitely want to carry while hiking the AT or any other trail system because there simply are no police. I also consider my handgun a key part of my survival gear should I get lost or stranded unexpectedly.

Best of luck and enjoy you trip.

(Adams County)

Forget about it coming through Maryland.

The whole thing, no, but many of the northern parts, yes. I want to go back to NH and do the complete PA section...perhaps this summer. Tagged for further.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Dauphin County)

Here is what the NPS website ( http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm ) says about carrying on the Trail:

Carrying firearms is strongly discouraged. They are illegal on National Park Service lands (40 percent of the Trail) and in most other areas without a permit. The threat of them being turned against you or an accidental shooting may outweigh the benefit. An increased presence of firearms could also change the culture of the Trail. State laws vary on the carrying of nonlethal weapons, such as pepper spray; the possession and use of a defensive weapon is a big responsibility with potential consequences. A whistle may scare off a potential threat from humans or animals and will serve to alert others in the area to your location.

It sounds like it was written by someone from the Brady Bunch, but none-the-less, it is what is on the website......

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post
    Here is what the NPS website ( http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm ) says about carrying on the Trail:

Carrying firearms is strongly discouraged. They are illegal on National Park Service lands (40 percent of the Trail) and in most other areas without a permit. The threat of them being turned against you or an accidental shooting may outweigh the benefit. An increased presence of firearms could also change the culture of the Trail. State laws vary on the carrying of nonlethal weapons, such as pepper spray; the possession and use of a defensive weapon is a big responsibility with potential consequences. A whistle may scare off a potential threat from humans or animals and will serve to alert others in the area to your location.

It sounds like it was written by someone from the Brady Bunch, but none-the-less, it is what is on the website......

Man, it sure does appear as if it was written by promoters of the ' Anti 2A Agenda '

I especially enjoyed this Einstein Thought ... " A whistle may scare off a potential threat from humans or animals and will serve to alert others in the area to your location " ... that gets a ROFLMAO

.... if I alert others with my whistle, will they race to my aid with their whistles and we could whistle in unison

.... if one encounters a Park Ranger while on the trail, should you CC your whistle, or is a list of States that permit OC of your whistle available - I wouldn't want to intimidate him

You just can't make that stupidity up ... it has to be true !
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

Thumbs up Re: carrying on the appalachian trail

Quote Originally Posted by lightsdarkness View Post

Enjoy your trip Lightsdarkness, I've never done it. I do know a guy (Gizzy) in Nazareth, Pa. who did the ' Entire Trail ' a few years ago ... all in one shot, not pieces at a time ... now that's a Workout !
    He has some interesting tales of his experiences. I usually only see him at Hunting Season, but if you'd like to talk to him I'll see if I can get a phone number.
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PRRFan View Post

How old is this website? Has it been updated lately (to reflect the new laws)?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Found this on the NPS (Appalachian National Scenic Trail) website. It's a brief excerpt. Below is a link to the full Q&A.

Questions & Answers

Q. Can I have a firearm in every park after February 22, 2010?

A. If you can legally possess a firearm outside of a national park, you can possess it in that park on and after February 22, 2010. It is up to visitors to understand the requirements of federal law and the laws of the states/localities they live in or are travelling to (or through). Park websites have been updated to offer basic information about the applicable state law(s) and will generally include a link to a state website with more information.

Q. How do I know where I can take a firearm?

A. It is the responsibility of each individual to know and understand applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I openly carry my firearm in a national park?

A. If it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Q. Can I carry a concealed firearm in a national park?

A. If it is allowed by applicable federal, state, and local firearms laws.

Link:
    http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/que...nd-answers.htm

I assume that since the law changed just one month ago, not all of the available information has been updated.
    Last edited by Devrbd; March 24th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast