Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: carrying on the appalachian trail

For most of the trail you can legally carry.

A larger point is will you want to? I am not talking about your right to do so, but most people shed every ounce they can in this long and arduous trek.

Extra shoes, etc., are dumped.

Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Hokkmike; March 24th, 2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

ok great guys. Thanks for the info. I am just going for a 3 day hike on the PA side of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginBonnie2 View Post
    .... if I alert others with my whistle, will they race to my aid with their whistles and we could whistle in unison

I know how it sounds but a whistle is no joke on the trail. In a busy area like the Appalachian Trail everyone within ear shot will be running to your side as if it were life or death. It by no means takes the place of a firearm, but it is not a resource to be underestimated.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Montgomery County)

I can attest to the effectiveness of a whistle. Years ago when I lived in CA, I did a lot of camping. Around this time there were a lot of mountain lion attacks and I read carrying a whistle is a good idea. One trip I hiked into the desert approximately 7 or 8 miles and set up camp at a small spring. Went to sleep and eventually awoke in the middle of the night by the unmistakable deep purring of a large cat in close proximity of my tent. Scared stiff, all I could think of was this thing jumping on top of tent, destroying me, and some one finding my bones years later. I slept with the whistle right by me and was able to get to it with little movement. Once I did, I laid into that sucker as if my life depended on it. Didn't hear a purr for the rest of the night.

Thumbs up Re: carrying on the appalachian trail

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    I know how it sounds but a whistle is no joke on the trail. In a busy area like the Appalachian Trail everyone within ear shot will be running to your side as if it were life or death. It by no means takes the place of a firearm, but it is not a resource to be underestimated.

Never been on the Trail emsjeep, and I don't doubt you for a minute ... I would prefer the security of knowing I needn't depend on others for my life, but would be all too thankful if someone came to assist, especially if Significant was along.

You ever hiked the App Trail emsj, I only know one person who did it and he had quite a time .. plenty of adventurous stories ?
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

I love this quote from the NPS:

[QUOTE]Carrying firearms is strongly discouraged. They are illegal on National Park Service lands (40 percent of the Trail) and in most other areas without a permit. The threat of them being turned against you or an accidental shooting may outweigh the benefit. An increased presence of firearms could also change the culture of the Trail. State laws vary on the carrying of nonlethal weapons, such as pepper spray; the possession and use of a defensive weapon is a big responsibility with potential consequences. A whistle may scare off a potential threat from humans or animals and will serve to alert others in the area to your location./QUOTE]

How can self-protection "change the cuture of the trail"?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post
    How can self-protection "change the cuture of the trail"?
    Makes it harder for the 'Deliverance' crowd to find easy prey...

"Hike faster I hear banjo music!"

The one remark you don't want to hear on the App trail: "You gotta purdy mouth"

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post
    I would definitely want to carry while hiking the AT or any other trail system because there simply are no police. I also consider my handgun a key part of my survival gear should I get lost or stranded unexpectedly.

Best of luck and enjoy you trip.

I defiantly agree that I would want to carry too, not only for people on the trail, but also if you would happen to run into a very unfriendly animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Devrbd View Post
    I can attest to the effectiveness of a whistle. Years ago when I lived in CA, I did a lot of camping. Around this time there were a lot of mountain lion attacks and I read carrying a whistle is a good idea. One trip I hiked into the desert approximately 7 or 8 miles and set up camp at a small spring. Went to sleep and eventually awoke in the middle of the night by the unmistakable deep purring of a large cat in close proximity of my tent. Scared stiff, all I could think of was this thing jumping on top of tent, destroying me, and some one finding my bones years later. I slept with the whistle right by me and was able to get to it with little movement. Once I did, I laid into that sucker as if my life depended on it. Didn't hear a purr for the rest of the night.

I don't know Devrbd, if I'm a few mile into the desert hiking, I'm sort of figuring I'm going to be ' All Alone ' ... glad the cat vacated.

Only ever saw 2 Mountains, and they were in West Texas ... had one in the scope and just about to drop him as he cleared a barb-wire fence .. about 02:00 .. what a rush !

Ever been in the Glass Mtns., West Tex ? ... if not, go ... I think you'd love it

.... every time I go down there my wife figures the odds are I'm not comin' home
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast