Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default 'Flash mobs' and what would you do??

I live in south philadelphia not to far away from where these so called 'flash mobs' are happening and have been wondering what would I do, or should I do if I ever was caught in a group of 1,000 kids with no regard or respect for anything.
    If you havnt heard about these 'flash mobs' that are happening around here, they are basically when very large groups of teens gather together and terrorize whatever is in their path. This includes random beatings to bystandards.
    Now, I know the first defense would be to get out of there, but these kids have no problem dragging people out of their car or taking over a store, just as what happened before. Say you were in that store, or in that car and hundreds of kids wanted your wallet, or just to kick you in the head for a while.
    So what would you do? Would you draw down on a large group of teens and probably cause even more of a riot? What are the options? Theres probably to many "what ifs" in this question, but I think its a good question.
    Please, please save the "move out of philly" answers, I know, I know, I know!

(Chester County)

Default Re: 'Flash mobs' and what would you do??

One... stay the hell off south street. wait... stay the hell out of filthadelphia.

Two.... carry extra ammo, lots of ammo.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lycoming County)

It's a tough situation to be in. If you draw and fire you better be able to convince the DA especially in Philly that your life was in danger.

I would try to find an area, maybe a bathroom, storeroom or closet to try to hold up in. Secure the door and wait out the mob.

My opinions....
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Allegheny County)

Avoid a known threat. (fyi, you don't have to read Sun Tzu to to understand that.)

Otherwise, I hear people are curious about carrying Dracos these days. But, maybe more experienced executors of tactics could chime in. If I have to engage over 1,000 "bad guys" densely packed into a certain area, I would choose an A-10 or AH-64D.
    F*S=k

"Broken Arrow!"
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I can see the impulse to open fire.....but there is almost no way your going to win that fight. Alive or dead your going to lose. Your going to hit people who WILL claim innocence to the rioting. So your going to prison. If you survive. Sometimes a fight simply cannot be won, regardless of the rightousness of that fight. In this case your up against an entirely corrupt entity and there is very little you can do about it. This is one of those situations where situational awareness and avoidance comes in. Those are your best defenses. Myself, I'm not sure what reaction I would take if faced with the event. Besieged from all sides believing that I may not survive the attack....I just might open fire if no escape is possible, and I believe my life is on the line. I may go down but at least I won't be on my knees when I do.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Allegheny County)

I thought Flash Mobs were when oodles of people instantly gather in a public place to dance to a Michael Jackson song. (or other such gaiety)

When did they start beating up on people?

I think the appropriate response for something of that sort is an Epic Beard Man Flash Mob.
    Bring plenty of Amber Lamps.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

i thought flash mobs were just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYmRyuhn9k i guess everything is more hardcore in philly

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I thought Flash Mobs were when oodles of people instantly gather in a public place to dance to a Michael Jackson song. (or other such gaiety)

I think the appropriate response for something of that sort is an Epic Beard Man Flash Mob.
    While the problem is relatively small, it's a growing threat. It lasts just minutes. But in that time a lot happens and it's a matter of time before it becomes more violent. As soon as police begin to arrive the party breaks up and it's impossible for the police to do much other than watch them split apart and fade away. Another emerging problem in Philly is Asian kids being attacked at school by large groups. Right in the schools, or nearby after school. One of the results is the banding of gangs for self-protection which will lead to other gang related problems. The dangerous degeneration of our society is continuing to expand.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

I have heard though very reliable sources (the college grapevine) that a small group with other motives have changed the 'mobs' into a real mobs at times. However, specifics were left out.

But about the OP's question, I would NOT draw on a crowd like this. I could see it going downhill quickly. But if you don't, things could do the same. My initial vote would be run like hell to a 'safer' place and hope the part of the mob between you and there is less violent. If they aren't and you need to draw, at least you're closer to the edge.

This assumes situational awareness has already failed.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast