Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Is my LTCF valid when I move?

I live in Illinois (which as many know doesn't allow concealed carry), and I recently got a PA LTCF, which I am able to use when I travel to Missouri. I may be moving to Missouri in the near future, as I have gotten a job offer over there. A few of my friends (gun and CCW enthusiasts) have told me that my PA permit will not be valid when I move to Missouri, and they based this on the fact that PA does not ISSUE permits to people if there state issues permits and they do not have their state's permit, but they were unable to provide any concrete evidence of the permit becoming invalid once I moved to Missouri. I contacted Sheriff Nau of Centre County, PA, and he advised me that my permit would still be valid and honored by PA since I received it while I was a resident of Illinois. I am more inclined to believe Sheriff Nau, but I figured I would ask here for anyone's input. Also, if anyone has any links to specific laws regarding this, that would be appreciated.

Here is how the PA non-resident statute reads, and it does not say anything about your permit becoming invalid if you move:

" People who are not residents of Pennsylvania may apply for and receive a Non-Resident License To Carry Firearms in Pennsylvania. The process is exactly the same as it is for residents except that non-residents must possess a similar permit in their home state per the following statute:

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi.../non-residents

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by carryad; March 23rd, 2010 at 11:46 AM.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Is my LTCF valid when I move?

I can't give you an exact quote for the UFA. However. your license is valid until it expires or is revoked by the issuing authority.
    USNRET '61-'81

I would think it matters most how Missouri feels about this, regardless of what Sheriff Nau says (in my opinion he is correct)...it would ultimately be up to the authorities in Missouri as if it is valid or not, wouldn't it?

I'd check with the Missouri Attorney General's office for their advice

BTW, here is the reciprocity agreement between PA and MO:
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...0Agreement.pdf
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:03 AM.

(Bucks County)

Your PA LTCF would still be valid...as noted check with MO if a MO resident can use a Non-res license. However, in order to renew the PA LTCF you would need to obtain the MO endorsement anyway.

MO Law for applying

Thanks for the input everyone. I will check with the Missouri Attorney General to make sure, but I believe I will be good. Many Missouri residents carry in Missouri on a Florida non-resident license. I just wanted to make sure that PA didn't deem my LTCF invalid following my move. I will get the Missouri license eventually, but I have 4 years left until my PA license expires, so I'll be alright if I get my Missouri license a couple months after I move there.

(Centre County)

http://www.missouricarry.com/mocarry_faq.htm

"I will be moving to Missouri soon. I currently have a CCW endorsement from [state] where I live now. Will I be able to carry in Missouri on that endorsement? - Unless your current endorsement is an OOS endorsement recognized by your current state and Missouri, No. If you carry a resident endorsement issued by your current state of residence, once you move to the state of Missouri, you are no longer a resident of that state, and their resident CCW endorsement would be invalid, as well as their Drivers License, etc... you must apply for new license(s) in Missouri."

I did not check their sources.

There was a loophole when Missouri began issuing CCW which allowed residents to carry on non-resident permits from other states. I believe they have closed that loophole, but I am not positive on that. When this occurred Centre County got flooded with non-resident applications from Missouri. Centre County stopped issuing permits to Missouri residents, at least temporarily.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by njhkt6 View Post
    http://www.missouricarry.com/mocarry_faq.htm

"I will be moving to Missouri soon. I currently have a CCW endorsement from [state] where I live now. Will I be able to carry in Missouri on that endorsement? - Unless your current endorsement is an OOS endorsement recognized by your current state and Missouri, No. If you carry a resident endorsement issued by your current state of residence, once you move to the state of Missouri, you are no longer a resident of that state, and their resident CCW endorsement would be invalid, as well as their Drivers License, etc... you must apply for new license(s) in Missouri."

I did not check their sources.

There was a loophole when Missouri began issuing CCW which allowed residents to carry on non-resident permits from other states. I believe they have closed that loophole, but I am not positive on that. When this occurred Centre County got flooded with non-resident applications from Missouri. Centre County stopped issuing permits to Missouri residents, at least temporarily.

If I'm reading it correctly...that is referring to a person with a resident permit from "whatever" state. The OP currently has a non-resident LTCF from PA so the quote doesn't really fit the situation.

Centre County does issue to MO residents now...the applicant just needs to supply a copy of MO license.

From Centre County
    Special Note: Missouri is now considered an issuing State, therefore it is mandatory that Missouri residents obtain a license to carry from Missouri and include a photo copy with the application.

(Centre County)

Smile Re: Is my LTCF valid when I move?

Quote Originally Posted by njhkt6 View Post

Unless your current endorsement is an OOS (OUT OF STATE) endorsement recognized by your current state and Missouri, No.
    This is the sentence I was looking at in particular, so I think it does fit. It gets a little tricky though since the OP is in Illinois. I would actually want to read the MO code on cc, before I move to Missouri, which I will be doing in the next few years.

Does the PA LTCF become invalid since Missouri is considered an issuing state and the OP does not have a Missouri CCW even though he did not live in Missouri when the LTCF was issued? I would assume that the LTCF becomes invalid as soon as the licensee becomes a Missouri resident. Looks like I need to do more research before moving back.
    Last edited by njhkt6; March 24th, 2010 at 09:40 AM.

I contacted the Missouri Attorney General, and he advised me that Missouri honors the LTCF when I move. I'll contact the Pennsylvania Attorney General to confirm what Sheriff Nau said, to make sure that the LTCF still remains valid when I move, so that I'm covered from both sides. Looks like it should work out.

(Franklin County)

IMO, not possessing a license from your (new) home state make you just as ineligible to retain the license as a conviction for one of the enumerated criminal offenses.

It is clearly a condition of eligibility. That condition no longer exists, thus you are no longer eligible. However, it is up to the issuing authority to revoke the license. You are only required to notify them if you "ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms", not if you become otherwise ineligible to be licensed.
    (e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

(ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act. [FN1]

(iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.

(iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.

(v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.

(vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.

(vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.

(viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.

(xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.

(xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).

(xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.

(xiv) An individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.
    (i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.
    Because the word "shall" is used, and Sheriff Nau has already been notified of the situation, he is clearly NOT fulfilling the duties of his office if he does not revoke the license. Legally, it is not up to his discretion. Of course, this isn't the first time we know of that Sheriff Nau has disregarded the law and substituted his own personal opinion.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; March 24th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.