Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vfg on a shotty

(Delaware County)

Default Re: vfg on a shotty

No offense but 19 and going off to school next year?
    Someone texting on their phone (prolly and shotty and the other abreviated terms) and worrying about the accessories to get on a SHTF shotgun for after next semester?
    My first thought is that at college, young folks away from their parents home for the first time, other young folks in the place as well?
    Your biggest threat will be you or your buddies shooting one another.

I would say no shotgun at all unless you have some kind of history where people are coming for you. If that were the case you would already know how to use the shotgun and what extra items helped you.

Moving "into the city" is not like moving into Iraq.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by eells View Post
    though i have to ask, what makes fumbling with a laser switch so much harder than with the switch for the light?
    There really isn't a difference in the act of fumbling with the swithch. The diff. is in what the device does for you. In a dark room, a light, which is activated by a pressure pad mounted on the forearm, allows you to see an area. A laser only allows you to see a red dot in a dark room.
    By the way, I have a similar eye issue. I have to squint the crap out of my left eye. When shooting clays, I usually just close the eye before pulling the trigger. It's not a big deal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    No offense but 19 and going off to school next year?
    Someone texting on their phone (prolly and shotty and the other abreviated terms) and worrying about the accessories to get on a SHTF shotgun for after next semester?
    My first thought is that at college, young folks away from their parents home for the first time, other young folks in the place as well?
    Your biggest threat will be you or your buddies shooting one another.

I would say no shotgun at all unless you have some kind of history where people are coming for you. If that were the case you would already know how to use the shotgun and what extra items helped you.

Moving "into the city" is not like moving into Iraq.
    not that it matters, but ill be 20 tomorrow. i am actually the only one leaving for the first time, everyone im moving in with has been down there this whole year, and all have some sort of experience with firearms, and all have a healthy respect for them. one of the guys already has a shotgun of his own, and im bringing the rest of my meager collection, so this isint going to be a major addition. i guess an important mention would be a decent cabnet/safe for the rest of them and a good lock for the HD gun in my absence. i know im not entering a warzone, but the temple area isint exactly known as a very friendly neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjrk View Post
    There really isn't a difference in the act of fumbling with the swithch. The diff. is in what the device does for you. In a dark room, a light, which is activated by a pressure pad mounted on the forearm, allows you to see an area. A laser only allows you to see a red dot in a dark room.
    both? lol, i know, gun first, practice second (or vise versa, or equal importance, whatever), gizmos last. but its something i like to think about. hope for the best, plan for the worst, especially when planning is fun.
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Monroe County)

it may be pricy and others have mentioned how you wouldnt want to fumble for a switch for a laser or light in a quick moving home defense situation, but this might help you out a bit with that problem.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-ct-ls-mvf515.html
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Keep in mind that learning to use a light the right way is just as important as having one.

(Berks County)

My advice is to avoid all of that tactical crap and just keep it simple. A pistol grip or folding stock is not at all necessary for a defensive shotgun. It's just one more thing to fumble with when seconds count and lives are on the line.

I would recommend a magazine extension and some sort of flashlight with a pressure switch.

Most importantly learn how to shoot it. It would seem that alot of people think that the shotgun what wins the battle, but it's really your skills that will matter. A missed shot inside of a house could be deadly to innocent bystanders.

And stop calling it a "shotty".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12