Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default 18" vs. 20" question

I've noticed while perusing various home defense shotguns available on the market that guns with an 18" barrel almost always have a feed tube that is shorter than the barrel, whereas the feed tube on the 20" version of the same gun is often even with the end of the barrel.

Can anyone explain to me why this is, and more specifically, why manufacturers wouldn't automatically make the tube longer on the 18.5 so you could get another round in there?
    Last edited by rikilii; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(York County)

Default Re: 18" vs. 20" question

You can buy extended mag tubes for most of them.

The Remington 870 can be purchased from the factory with an extended tube (6+1 i believe) and has an 18 inch barrel.

(Lehigh County)

if they made it flush with the 18.5 inch barrel i think it would just interfer with the fitting of the shells themself in the tube(i mean like ALOT more pressure than whats needed without chopping the following spring) and I dunno if the math would work out to were you can get it to be exatcly flush. i know like the previous post they make tube extensions but most I've seen stick out a little futher than the barrel atleast on the 18.5 models. I have a NEF Pardner Pump Protector 18.5 with a two round tube extension and it comes just a tad bit father (about 1/4 inch) past my barrel.

So to answer your question. I would have to say that the gun just wouldn't look pleasing to the eyes, nor would the math work to fit the extra 2 rounds and keeping it flush with the 18.5 barrel.

atleast I think so.. lol

(Jefferson County)

Because the 18.5" guns are usually just shortened hunting guns. ...just made shorter for easier handling and retaining the run-of-the-mill equipment for cost effectiveness.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    if they made it flush with the 18.5 inch barrel i think it would just interfer with the fitting of the shells themself in the tube(i mean like ALOT more pressure than whats needed without chopping the following spring) and I dunno if the math would work out to were you can get it to be exatcly flush. i know like the previous post they make tube extensions but most I've seen stick out a little futher than the barrel atleast on the 18.5 models. I have a NEF Pardner Pump Protector 18.5 with a two round tube extension and it comes just a tad bit father (about 1/4 inch) past my barrel.

So to answer your question. I would have to say that the gun just wouldn't look pleasing to the eyes, nor would the math work to fit the extra 2 rounds and keeping it flush with the 18.5 barrel.

atleast I think so.. lol
    I see. Maybe they ought to make them 18.75 inches then ;-)

How do like that gun, by the way? I've been trying to find one locally, but no one near me seems to carry them.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    I see. Maybe they ought to make them 18.75 inches then ;-)

How do like that gun, by the way? I've been trying to find one locally, but no one near me seems to carry them.
    Love it... it functions great and feeds anything I put throught it. Easy to clean. and if it breaks.. so what.. I paid $180 for it. lol