Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Pistols - hey I can shoot! What's next?

Ok, I'm a relatively new shooter. After having a pistol for two seasons, starting my third now... I find I'm getting to be a good shooter!

Ok, so now I can stand at 15 yards, unsupported, and keep the 9mm pistol putting them into a 3" group on the target. (Weaver stance, etc.) Something I am VERY happy with.

What's the next step for me?

I've started working on the following:
    -target acquisition from a low ready
    -transition from target to target
    -putting two bullets rapidly on a target

And at home, doing drills drawing from a holster (clearing any shirts) and presenting the weapon on target.

I'm trying to take a Utah CCW class, but health and timing issues have stymied it. (do have my PA LTCF, but I work in DE, so...).

What recommendations would you make for "where I go next?"

The range doesn't like moving and shooting, FYI.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pistols - hey I can shoot! What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post

it depends on your goals, of course, but, if your goal is to be able to use the gun for self-defense and maximize your chances of doing so successfully, i would recommend you go to places next:

1. a different range. if you cannot practice moving and shooting, drawing and shooting, shooting from retention, etc. you cannot effectively practice self-defense shooting.

2. take a class like randy cain's handgun 101 or FIRE institute's basic tactical pistol or any of a bunch of other quality 3 to 5 day basic tactical pistol shooting classes offered by reputable trainers.
    F*S=k

(Tioga County)

Try IDPA International Defensive Pistol Assosication

All you need is three mags, servicable hand gun, cover garment, about 100 rds of ammo. Lots of clubs have monthly matches in PA. Goto http://nepaidpascores.net/
    and find a club close to you.

You will be shooting a course-of-fire which is definsive based, with moving and using cover. usually 4 to 6 stages for each monthy match.

Also check out
    http://www.idpa.com/

You won't be sorry you started this game.

Shooter

(Allegheny County)

IDPA and IPSC are definitely great forums for practicing gun handling and shooting skills. no question.

however, i would suggest getting some good training before starting...or find someone at the game who really knows how to shoot and is willing to coach you.

if you practice a lot before you learn proper technique, you will only ingrain bad habits and make learning proper technique later more difficult (as you will first have to unlearn all the incorrect stuff you have ingrained into yourself).

just my two cents.

(ETA: also, do not use IDPA to teach you how to use cover in a self-defense situation. i do not mean to bash the gun games...i think they have great value. but, one of the shortcomings is that the way you use cover in IDPA is *not* the way you want to use it in a self-defense situation. you do not want to get that close to the cover...and you do not want to expose 50% of your body. the gun games are *great* for honing gun handling and marksmanship skills. they are not good for tactics.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; March 23rd, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

Thanks for the info, I was kinda leaning in those directions, and this is just what I needed.

(Tioga County)

Little red toyota is correct in the tatics involved vs the gaming going on in a IDPA match, but you will find new shooters will get plenty of good shooters that will mentor your gun handling and shoot skills. Also it is very cheep to get involved, you do not need expensive gun mods or lots of extra mags. Check out e rule book on IDPA.com and brush up on the rules. Get to the first match early because there will be a safty breif for new shooters. Good luck and good shooting.

Shooter

Thumbs up Re: Pistols - hey I can shoot! What's next?

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Ok, I'm a relatively new shooter. After having a pistol for two seasons, starting my third now... I find I'm getting to be a good shooter!

Ok, so now I can stand at 15 yards, unsupported, and keep the 9mm pistol putting them into a 3" group on the target. (Weaver stance, etc.) Something I am VERY happy with.

What's the next step for me?

I've started working on the following:
    -target acquisition from a low ready
    -transition from target to target
    -putting two bullets rapidly on a target

And at home, doing drills drawing from a holster (clearing any shirts) and presenting the weapon on target.

I'm trying to take a Utah CCW class, but health and timing issues have stymied it. (do have my PA LTCF, but I work in DE, so...).

Hello MTech,

Not really that far from you ... we have many friendly + knowledgeable members who would be happy to assist/recommend .... and our dues are cheap !

You can always observe .... however, observation usually infects you with ' The Bug ' !

http://www.toptonfga.org/IPSC.html
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "