Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Any serious use for a short double barrel for defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana71 View Post
    Forgive me, but I don't quite understand. If the barrel is over 18" and the overall length is over 26" what would require a $200 stamp? And why would it matter that it's a pump? Or are you saying that there isn't an available stock that's short enough to give you the overall length without also trimming the barrel below 18" and thus requiring a stamp?
    I was thinking the same thing? This had me thinking there was some kind of loophole I didn't know about... and a vintage S/S was about to jump to the top of my want list.
    Last edited by DVE; January 23rd, 2011 at 02:26 AM.

(Berks County)

Anyone have any info on pre serial numbered SXS shotguns and barrel length? I though the tax stamp was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    I have made several of them over the years, usually from Stevens 311's and similar guns, just because I like them - I'm wondering if you think there is a serious reason to have one around for a house gun. They are certainly reliable, but so is any decent pump.
    FWIW, I now rely on a short barred Mossberg 500 and have no plans to change that, but I'm thinking about another coach gun type just for????

mark
    If you already have it, heck yea there is a good reason. One intruder? You are a good shot? It is the first gun you get your hands on? Yea, there is a good reason.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Berks County)

Seems like the double would have a few advantages over the repeating shotgun.

Getting two shots off can be done in seconds, whereas pump riot guns require working the action.

One bad guy or two can be finished off in short order, given the right 00 loads in the chambers.

Those who are practiced in the art and are equipped with ejectors can reload quickly.

Of course when one compares to a semiautomatic scatter gun or other tools referred to by the Brady Bunch as assault weapons, the advantages disappear quickly.

My personal preference is the 870 pump, due to familiarity and equipment (red dot sighted). I can't bring myself to lop the barrels on a good double - especially one with some history.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Franklin County)

The wife and I just got back from Gander mountain. Since I've read this thread , I thought I would check and see what they had available, while i was there. The have a Amaniti / stoeger In 12 ga and 20. a double barrel coach gun that with a tactical rail mounted underneath and center of the barrell. Both barrels are ported on top. $429.00 In black of course.they also had one in 410 in wood without the rail for $379.00. Tryed to talk my wife into it, but no go for now. My arms budget is used up for this year. Never seen them in stores before. Are they getting popular?
    In God We Trust............................

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    The wife and I just got back from Gander mountain. Since I've read this thread , I thought I would check and see what they had available, while i was there. The have a Amaniti / stoeger In 12 ga and 20. a double barrel coach gun that with a tactical rail mounted underneath and center of the barrell. Both barrels are ported on top. $429.00 In black of course.they also had one in 410 in wood without the rail for $379.00. Tryed to talk my wife into it, but no go for now. My arms budget is used up for this year. Never seen them in stores before. Are they getting popular?
    I inquired about that exact one at the Sportsman's Shop in New Holland, and they had it way cheaper than that. I think it was $379. I asked him about used ones. He said they sell a lot of Stoeger coach guns but not many of them ever come back in used.

I've only ever seen one at a gun show and that was at the show I went to in VA a couple weeks ago, and they wanted too much for it. I've wanted one for quite a while, eventually I'll have one, because there's just something really cool about a SxS shotgun.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Gentleman do NOT pay more than $175 for a sxs!

I got mine for less than $150 professionally cut down at a local shop. Forget a new stoeger. Call all your local shops and ask if they have any sub $200 side by side 12 gauges. It took me a few months and hearing several times "I just had one and sold it for $125" before I was at the right place at the right time.

Mine is a 195. Stevens 311a in perfect shape, beautiful patina, georgius wood, and super tight action, paid $145 otd.

And your wife will think you're a rockstar when you show up with a new sxs and she can't help but be proud you only paid $150.

Last edited by Zet70; October 31st, 2011 at 08:46 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Gentleman do NOT pay more than $175 for a sxs!

I got mine for $150 professionally cut down at a local shop. Forget a new stoeger. Call all your local shops and ask if they have any sub $200 side by side 12 gauges. It took me a few months and hearing several times "I just had one and sold it for $125" before I was at the right place at the right time.

Mine is a 195. Stevens 311a in perfect shape, paid $145 otd.

And your wife will think you're a rockstar when you show up with a new sxs and she can't help but be proud you only paid $150.

Good advice, but how much did it cost to get it cut down?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

$0. That's what I'm saying, I got mine with machined down barrels for $145 otd. You just have to keep looking. Worst case is you find a sxs with full length barrels for cheap and find a mom and pop machine shop to shop them down for $25 on a ban saw.

You can have a real side by side for less than $200 with very little effort. Shit, isn't half the thrill of a new gun the process of tracking it down?

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Mine is a 195. Stevens 311a in perfect shape, beautiful patina, georgius wood, and super tight action, paid $145 otd.
    Stopped for a celebratory beer on the way home, huh?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast