Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Selling a longgun on Gunbroker?

Has anyone do it? My question I have is does the FFL holder send a copy of his FFL to me as a non-dealer?

Thas how I read it but I'm just tring to make sure.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Selling a longgun on Gunbroker?

Yes, they'll send you a copy of their FFL. When you ship out the gun, most likely via UPS, they will ask to see it.

A photocopy, or scanned/emailed printout is acceptable. It does not need to be signed in ink.

UPS will ship it out directly for you, you don't have to go to an FFL to send it out. Most long guns, using UPS Ground, will ship for anywhere from $15-$25.

Whether the FFL themselves sends it, or the buyer sends it, doesn't matter. If you want to play it safe, if the buyer sends the form, give the dealer a call just to make sure they know they'll be receiving the package. In my experience, dealers appreciate that because their transfer customers don't always let them know what's coming, and it can get confusing on their end when a mystery gun shows up.

Good luck!

(Luzerne County)

FFL's are not obligated to send their FFL copy to anyone but other FFL's. The ATF has even discouraged the practice.

It's internet lore that you must obtain an FFL copy, as a non-FFL. There is no such requirement in law. You are required by law only to ship to a licensed address.

That said, a fair percentage of FFLs will simply send you a copy.
    Those that do not will send you their FFL# or the first 3 and last 5 digits of their FFL.

Whichever one they send you it is imperative you check the FFL number against the ATF EZ-Check:
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/
    Put in the first 3 and last 5 of the FFL and EZ-Check will tell you
    1) License is valid
    2) Licensed address

Happy gun auctioning!
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; March 21st, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(York County)

be reminded that you as a PA resident may ship a long gun to another resident of PA without FFL involvement. you may ship upon receipt of a signed statement that the buyer is not a prohibited person. a copy of drivers liscense or LTCf is great for documentation.

this is not something i would be comfortable doing with someone i do not know. but i would do it for an acquaintance or a person i had earlier shipped gun to via an FFl. it is within the letter of the law.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    you may ship upon receipt of a signed statement that the buyer is not a prohibited person.
    The above is an opinion, not a requirement of law. The law simply says you may not transfer to anyone you have reason to believe is not eligible. The reality is, you are not even required to ask them, let alone obtain some type of documented proof. That said, sellers all have their own comfort level and personal requirements which you may or may not choose to comply with, and may cause you to pass by a particular seller.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Yes, they'll send you a copy of their FFL. When you ship out the gun, most likely via UPS, they will ask to see it.

A photocopy, or scanned/emailed printout is acceptable. It does not need to be signed in ink.

UPS will ship it out directly for you, you don't have to go to an FFL to send it out. Most long guns, using UPS Ground, will ship for anywhere from $15-$25.

Whether the FFL themselves sends it, or the buyer sends it, doesn't matter. If you want to play it safe, if the buyer sends the form, give the dealer a call just to make sure they know they'll be receiving the package. In my experience, dealers appreciate that because their transfer customers don't always let them know what's coming, and it can get confusing on their end when a mystery gun shows up.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    FFL's are not obligated to send their FFL copy to anyone but other FFL's. The ATF has even discouraged the practice.

It's internet lore that you must obtain an FFL copy, as a non-FFL. There is no such requirement in law. You are required by law only to ship to a licensed address.

That said, a fair percentage of FFLs will simply send you a copy.
    Those that do not will send you their FFL# or the first 3 and last 5 digits of their FFL.

Whichever one they send you it is imperative you check the FFL number against the ATF EZ-Check:
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/
    Put in the first 3 and last 5 of the FFL and EZ-Check will tell you
    1) License is valid
    2) Licensed address

Happy gun auctioning!
    Thanks Guys. I wanted to make sure because gun brokers says they will send you a copy.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger