Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Springfield micro compact .45 1911????

Anyone have one or know of anyone that does? I just looked at one at Trop gun shop for $599. It basically was a chopped down gi model. It wasnt a Kimber but it was half the price. The bug for a short 1911 is still biting me. Another shop is offering the Kimber Crimson Carry for $999 which I wish I could get without the Crimson Trace grips for a few hundred less but no such luck. I shot a friends and when I index the pistol I block out the laser which makes them pointless imo. Thanks, Brian

(Elk County)

Default Re: Springfield micro compact .45 1911????

I have a Springfield Micro Compact purchased used and it's been 100% reliable after cleaning of the weapon and slight tweaking of the extractor.

Everything about a 3" 1911 MUST be "just right" in order for them to work, because the functional window of tolerance of a 3" is so much narrower than that of the 5" or even the 4.5" or 4" 1911. Springs have to be the right force at deflection, extractor tuning must be spot on, and the magazine feed lips (early release type), follower design, and mag spring force all have to be proper in order for the 3" 1911 to run well. This is NOT a weapon for which a new owner should run out and purchase Wolff "extra power" springs (grrrr!) because the gun WILL crash and burn.

FOR MAGAZINES: Buy McCormick "compact" mags. They have proven to run 100% in my MC and my Colt Defender.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

my Colt Defender.

Noah
    Lets talk about that! Defender is what I was trying to hold out for. Does that seem well put together and reliable?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Lets talk about that! Defender is what I was trying to hold out for. Does that seem well put together and reliable?
    Yes and yes. I bought both of them used about 6 wks apart. Both needed extractor tweaks. The Defender's factory Colt-marked mag SUCKED for feed reliability. The floorplate was M-stamped, and I tried my C-stamped factory Colt compact mags and they worked fine. The difference? The M-stamped mag had feed lips of a different configuration, and the mag itself did not have an orange follower as did the Colt mags for the Defender. The orange follower came in two flavors: Coated steel and molded plastic. The reason? The follower jumps forward on the last round and can nick the alloy frame just under the feed ramp. The orange followers don't ding up the feed ramp, except the coated metal follower will once the coating is worn.

I use McCormick compact mags with aftermarket plastic followers and Wilson Combat compact mags (come from Wilson with plastic followers) in the Defender and both makes have been 100% reliable.

The extractor in the Defender was way out of tune. Dropped empties in my face and on my head, and had occasional failures to feed. I did a standard fit, tension, claw profile, and polish job and the empties now roll out the side of the Defender and there've been NO FTFs.

As for performance, I can say the exact same for the Springfield MC. Both guns can do minute of pop can or 20 oz soda bottle on the 25 yd berm. In fact, this afternoon I was chasing a pop can (or what was left of one) around the 25 yd berm at the one local club with the Springer MC.

Some photos for the pleasure of our viewers at home:

Springfield MC, Colt Defender, and Wilson Combat Mag; the MC wears thin OD anodized Alumagrips (cold in winter), Defender wears stock Defender laminated wood grips:

Same guns, right side, with WC mags installed:

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Butler County)

I went the Kimber route and picked an Ultra Carry II from the Custom Shop. It's been 100% reliable except that it doesn't like JHP's in Tripps Cobra Mags. Anything else it feeds and functions just fine.

(Washington County)

Smile Re: Springfield EMP 1911A1 3" 9mm ????

Just purchased a 3" 1911A1 in 9mm When I got the gun home and tried to load JHP ammo it had major FTF problems. I took the package back to the seller who demonstrated with great finese that I was being a wimp. (I read somewhere that one should not let the slide ram home.). So I was releasing the slide maybe have way and it jammed every time. The armour explained the gun will work at least 4 times faster then we can operate it. Every time I pulled the slide all the way back it functioned perfectly. Felt very small but learned big time.
    Have not been able to fire it yet but already I'm in love with SA trigger pull which I practice with every night.

FYI
    Last edited by Al1195; March 21st, 2010 at 08:28 PM.

I've got the Springfield MC .45 in stainless with Hogue ribber grips I put on in right after I bought it new. I emailed Noah about it. I see you recommend a couple different mags for it. I'd like to order better mags but am having a hard time finding ones that say they're for the micro compact. Do you guys have part numbers, and maybe recommendations of where to order them from? I'd like the 7 round mags, but I really just want whatever is, in your opinion, most reliable.

I'm dealing with feed problems, have been since new, and often have to push the slide forward the last 1/8" or less to close it. I do keep it clean, but y'all know how quickly it gets dirty at the range, and the longer I shoot it, the more it hangs just ever so slightly. It shoots lights out, and my last CCL renewal I shot a 248/250 with it. Even at 25 yards, I can really score with it. Love the gun, and love shooting it. Lively little banger!

I downloaded a manual for it in pdf, and noticed that occasionally you're supposed to remove the firing pin and extractor to clean them. Could be part of my problem. Never have. I don't recall this being in the little handbook that came with the gun, but now I'll have to go look. Anyway, I'm hoping this little gun and it's owner gets that little kink worked out as it will make me much more confident of it for personal protection. I have gotten pretty quick at noticing and pushing the slide closed! In fact, while practicing and before the qualification at the range, an older gentleman had noticed my issue and came to ask if he could help me. I pulled the gun apart and he bathed it with G96 gun cleaner/lube and after I wiped it down good it shot the rest of practice and the entire 50 round qualification without a glitch, so I feel like it might be really close. Since then, I have still had the problem, so hopefully cleaning the extractor might improve it.
    fergy, Kyle, Texas