Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What's the deal with Ohio?

I live in PA about 5 mins from the Ohio border and it frustrates the hell out of me that I can't carry there. Is a required firearms course issue. They honor Michigan's permits!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: What's the deal with Ohio?

Get Florida or Utah CCW. That will give you Ohio plus a bunch of other states via reciprocity.
    Utah: http://www.myutahccw.com/2008/10/wha...iprocity-mean/
    Florida: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    Last edited by Corn Flake; March 20th, 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added links

ohio sucks...next question

(Allegheny County)

I got my Utah permit for just this reason. I end up in Ohio on a semi-regular basis, and I disliked having to go disarmed.

(Lancaster County)

Easy on Ohio, it is my home state--but I am glad to live in PA, for gun rights anyway. Even if you get a permit that has reciprocity--be careful and know the laws in Ohio. From I have heard, they are very conveluted (SP?). For example, if you are in your car, the firearm MUST be in plain sight. When you exit your car, the firearm MUST be concealed. If a business has a "no firearms allowed" sign--which is most of them--it is ILLEAGAL to carry in that business. In PA we are asked only "to respect" those signs. The reality of the situation is that the concealed carry law in Ohio only boosted the sales for sign manufactures, and gave law abiding citizens very few and very restricted rights. My dad, who still lives in Ohio, was blown away when I told him I can carry ALMOST any where I want in PA, and a sign on the front door isn't worth the paper it is printed on--unless it is a legitimately restricted building or area. If nobody can see my firearm, they can't complain.

Just be aware that even if you get a reciprocity permit, Ohio's law is MUCH different than ours. Yes the issue is a "training" class, but most of the class deals with the legal issues if you have to use your firearm, rather than any real safety training.

Nate

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrand69 View Post
    Easy on Ohio, it is my home state--but I am glad to live in PA, for gun rights anyway. Even if you get a permit that has reciprocity--be careful and know the laws in Ohio. From I have heard, they are very conveluted (SP?). For example, if you are in your car, the firearm MUST be in plain sight. When you exit your car, the firearm MUST be concealed. If a business has a "no firearms allowed" sign--which is most of them--it is ILLEAGAL to carry in that business. In PA we are asked only "to respect" those signs. The reality of the situation is that the concealed carry law in Ohio only boosted the sales for sign manufactures, and gave law abiding citizens very few and very restricted rights. My dad, who still lives in Ohio, was blown away when I told him I can carry ALMOST any where I want in PA, and a sign on the front door isn't worth the paper it is printed on--unless it is a legitimately restricted building or area. If nobody can see my firearm, they can't complain.

Just be aware that even if you get a reciprocity permit, Ohio's law is MUCH different than ours. Yes the issue is a "training" class, but most of the class deals with the legal issues if you have to use your firearm, rather than any real safety training.
    Nate

I do believe the plain sight provision has changed and Ohio is an open carry state. Check out the AG's website.There is a booklet you can download that covers the laws pretty well. You should also be aware that ignoring the signs in PA can get you charged with trespassing, as has been stated by one of the legal gurus on PAFOA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post
    I live in PA about 5 mins from the Ohio border and it frustrates the hell out of me that I can't carry there. Is a required firearms course issue. They honor Michigan's permits!
    Ohio and Pennsylvania will likely not enter into a reciprocity agreement unless PA adds an educational requirement.

A Utah permit would solve your problem.
    You may carry in PA or OH on the Utah permit alone.

A PA or OH resident carrying using the Utah permit alone has 30 state coverage.
    A PA resident with a PA LTCF & UT CFP has 34 state coverage.
    An OH resident with a OH CHP & UT CFP has 33 state coverage.

I offer the Utah permit course not far from you in Coraopolis, Allegheny County several times a month.
    A discount program exists for PAFOA members.

You can review my posts under the "Training Courses" forum for further info or visit my website at www.utahbcicertifiedinstructor.com for details and contact information.

(If interested, please contact me using my website's webform or email information, not via the PM feature here - I often do not have forums access while traveling)

Also - the Ohio Attorney General's website has a concealed carry handbook available as a pdf file that you may view / download / print, it offers a fairly decent overview of Ohio firearms laws related to concealed carry and includes a plain language Frequently Asked Question and Answer section.
    Last edited by BCI Instructor; March 20th, 2010 at 04:52 AM.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

For example, if you are in your car, the firearm MUST be in plain sight.
    Nope. The plain sight requirement is long gone.

When you exit your car, the firearm MUST be concealed.
    Nope. Ohio is an open carry state. You can get hassled for it, but you can get hassled for it in Pennsylvania, and we know several cases where that's happened, don't we?. Of course here, we have an unambiguous right to record conversations to which we are a party. Hassle away, Chief Wiggum... just make sure you get your check book out first.

If a business has a "no firearms allowed" sign--which is most of them--it is ILLEAGAL to carry in that business.
    Gun buster signs have the force of law in Ohio. Where I live, most businesses are NOT posted, including NONE of the banks, grocery stores, fast food restaurants and drug stores.

Having a gun in a car in a posted parking lot is civil trespass... if they find out. If asked to leave, do so.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    ohio sucks...next question
    Bing! You get a star.

Thanks for the info on Utah... I will definitely consider that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast