Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: What's the deal with Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrand69 View Post
    ... In PA we are asked only "to respect" those signs. The reality of the situation is that the concealed carry law in Ohio only boosted the sales for sign manufactures, and gave law abiding citizens very few and very restricted rights. My dad, who still lives in Ohio, was blown away when I told him I can carry ALMOST any where I want in PA, and a sign on the front door isn't worth the paper it is printed on--unless it is a legitimately restricted building or area. If nobody can see my firearm, they can't complain.

Nate
    This topic has been discussed many times, most recently here

Entry contrary to signage is trespassing in PA.
    IANAL

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post
    Thanks for the info on Utah... I will definitely consider that.
    It's definitely worth it. I took the class a few years ago when it was offered at Pine Run Sportsmans Club in New Sewickley. I don't know if they have offered it since. I found out about it at Brown's in Rochester.
    Last edited by bdevil73; March 20th, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    I got my Utah permit for just this reason. I end up in Ohio on a semi-regular basis, and I disliked having to go disarmed.
    Me too. I spend a good bit of time in Ohio traveling to Nashville.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Lancaster County)

"Of course here, we have an unambiguous right to record conversations to which we are a party. Hassle away, Chief Wiggum... just make sure you get your check book out first."

Take the above at your own legal risk. There is PA caselaw going both ways on the question about recording police, so it is far from unambiguous as PA Patriot's Court of Common Pleas judge discussed recently. So, be prepared for a battle trying to pierce the LEO's qualified immunity defense if you claim they violated your 1st Amendment right by not permitting you to record their words. Of course you should consult your own attorney for matters involving your legal rights and seeking legal advice. EDIT: However, as the below poster noted, this could be a reference to Ohio law. So, if in Ohio, seek legal advice from a member of your bar and disregard my posting. If in PA, heed the advice. And yes, IAAL [PA].

Summary Judgment Order (part-in-part).
    http://paopencarry.org/dicksoncity/o...ndants_msj.pdf

PAFOA discussion on incident and SJ Order:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...-page-261.html
    Last edited by KMAG; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: bdevil73 noting an alternate interpretation (OH vs. PA)
    Why do people fearing guns call persons with guns (cops) when threatened?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by KMAG View Post
    "Of course here, we have an unambiguous right to record conversations to which we are a party. Hassle away, Chief Wiggum... just make sure you get your check book out first."

Take the above at your own legal risk. There is PA caselaw going both ways on the question about recording police, so it is far from unambiguous as PA Patriot's Court of Common Pleas judge discussed recently. So, be prepared for a battle trying to pierce the LEO's qualified immunity defense if you claim they violated your 1st Amendment right by not permitting you to record their words. Of course you should consult your own attorney for matters involving your legal rights and seeking legal advice.

Summary Judgment Order (part-in-part).
    http://paopencarry.org/dicksoncity/o...ndants_msj.pdf

PAFOA discussion on incident and SJ Order:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...-page-261.html
    The poster you quoted lives in Ohio according to his location. I believe he was addressing Ohio law with that statement.

(Lancaster County)

I have a couple of questions regarding my previous post and the replys. I don't want to read volumes, so I am hoping that folks can point to specific posts.

When I went to get photographed for, and to pick up my LTCF, I specifically asked about "No Firearms" signs, and was told by a deputy sheriff that "we ask that you respect them". First, I must point out that I have only seen them on very few buildings that are not barred from carrying by statute--most of them medical facilities.

My understanding is that if you are observed with a firearm, asked to leave, and you don't--then you can be charged with trespassing. If I am carrying in a non-prohibitated business--with a no firearm sign--and nobody notices or says anything, I have commited no crime. The sign on the door means nothing. The only meaning to the sign is that I can be asked to leave, and if I don't--I am trespassing.

Am I, and the deputy sheriff, wrong?? As a side note, when I carry nobody can tell and I make sure of that. No point in scaring the gun-fearing public.

BTW, it has been some time since I have heard the details about carry laws in OH, so I may be sadly mistaken about the current state of affairs.

Nate

I have a couple of questions regarding my previous post and the replys. I don't want to read volumes, so I am hoping that folks can point to specific posts.

When I went to get photographed for, and to pick up my LTCF, I specifically asked about "No Firearms" signs, and was told by a deputy sheriff that "we ask that you respect them". First, I must point out that I have only seen them on very few buildings that are not barred from carrying by statute--most of them medical facilities.

My understanding is that if you are observed with a firearm, asked to leave, and you don't--then you can be charged with trespassing. If I am carrying in a non-prohibitated business--with a no firearm sign--and nobody notices or says anything, I have commited no crime. The sign on the door means nothing. The only meaning to the sign is that I can be asked to leave, and if I don't--I am trespassing.

Am I, and the deputy sheriff, wrong?? As a side note, when I carry nobody can tell and I make sure of that. No point in scaring the gun-fearing public.

BTW, it has been some time since I have heard the details about carry laws in OH, so I may be sadly mistaken about the current state of affairs.

Nate
    I believe what you said holds true in PA, but not OH. They have much more strict carry laws

(Chester County)

I have a couple of questions regarding my previous post and the replys. I don't want to read volumes, so I am hoping that folks can point to specific posts. Wouldn't take much time to read the thread link I provided and you wouldn't be asking the question - it probably took longer to type in your question rather than read thread. But in a nutshell read the quote I provided form GunLawyer001 who IS A LAWYER.

When I went to get photographed for, and to pick up my LTCF, I specifically asked about "No Firearms" signs, and was told by a deputy sheriff that "we ask that you respect them". First, I must point out that I have only seen them on very few buildings that are not barred from carrying by statute--most of them medical facilities. You can also find 'NO WEAPONS" listed as a condition of entry at most malls.

My understanding is that if you are observed with a firearm, asked to leave, and you don't--then you can be charged with trespassing. Yes pursuant to 18 Pa CSA 3503(b)(1)(i) [" notice against trespass is given by: (i) actual communication to the actor].

If I am carrying in a non-prohibitated business--with a no firearm sign-- whats a 'prohibited business'? If there is signage then it is a 'prohibited area' including places of business.and nobody notices or says anything, I have commited no crime. If you park in a NO PARKING zone and don't get noticed, haven't you still ILLEGALLY parked? If you commit the perfect murder, haven't you still committed a crime. The fact that you crime does not come to someone's attention doesn't make it any less a crime - it just means there is not societal retribution for your transgression because noone knows about it.

The sign on the door means nothing. The only meaning to the sign is that I can be asked to leave, Nope. Your entering contrary to conditions of entry is a violation of a separate subsection dealing exclusively with signage and you're subject to citation without any further actions on the part of the 'owner' [18 Pa CSA 3503(b)(1)(ii) notice against trespass is given by: (ii) posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders] and if I don't--I am trespassing.

Am I, and the deputy sheriff, wrong?? YES As a side note, when I carry nobody can tell and I make sure of that. No point in scaring the gun-fearing public.

Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I believe what you said holds true in PA, Incorrect for PA
    but not OH. They have much more strict carry laws
    red inserts mine

Am just so there's no misunderstanding, my comments are referring to PA, NOT OH.
    IANAL

(Franklin County)

I find it amazing that you can get a ccw permit in a state that you don't reside in. I been told that you can only get a permit for pa (if you don't live here) if you own property here . That true? What kind of hassel do you have to go thru to get a permit from one of those states and what would the cost be. Couldn't find anything that explained it easily enough on those webs sights..
    In God We Trust............................

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    I been told that you can only get a permit for pa (if you don't live here) if you own property here . That true?
    No. But you do need to have a license/permit from your home state, if they issue them (IL, WI, and VT get a pass on that one).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast