Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default S&W .357 Snub Questions

Some of you may have read the thread I started on a carry revolver that I am looking to purchase. This is a spin-off of to that..

Can someone please explain why they only make the .357 snub in the few options (340, 360 & performance series) vs the 87 options that they have for the .38 Sp Snub?

I guess one could argue that the masses who use these pistols are happy with the .38 Special +P and thus it makes sense to cater to them. Though I would think a revolver such as the 340/360 series in a standard weight with no frills would be the pick of many people who rather something more than an Iphone in their hands as well as the option to run either .357 or .38

Am I missing something?

(For the record, the M&P340 which is what I have decided to go with for this particular need is slighly heavier than the 360 and without the fancy symbols on it. This comes in at a whopping 13.3oz!, where the 386 series night guard comes in at 24.5oz or the 640 series is 23oz)
    Last edited by svltrack; March 18th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.

(Elk County)

Default Re: S&W .357 Snub Questions

There may be others weighing in with all manner of speculative technical explanations, but IMO the simplest explanation is most often the accurate one.

IMO, and speaking as a businessman the reason for the plethora of 38 Spl snubs and the dearth of 357 snubs in the S&W alloy-frame line results from simple economics -- demand for one and relative lack of demand for the other. S&W has demonstrated a history of canning models that don't sell well, and IMO they watch the numbers. If people aren't clamoring for more variety of lightweight snubbie 357s, they aren't going to tool up and incur the costs for low turnover offerings.

"Follow the money."

Why aren't super lightweight 357 snub nose revolvers popular? They are a handful to shoot. IMO and experience, not pleasant. After two cylinders of ammo in a 12 oz 357, I am willing to offer more than name, rank, and service number. You'll see.

That said, there are many other S&W snubbie 357s available if you get out of the lightweight alloy versions.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; March 18th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

(Centre County)

I think that if you go to the S&W web site you will find a lot of other short barrel 357's (Model 19, 60, 640, 649,686, etc.)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

One of the issues I've encountered is that apparently .357 snub ballistics are not all that impressive. From what I've been told, your really just wasting more powder when you fire a 357 round out of a 2" barrel. Apparently 357's need more barrel (3-4 inch minimum) to fulfill their velocity potential. For this reason, in a 2" snub, the .38 is much more popular, and does comparable damage. This is what I've been told, and JMO.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    One of the issues I've encountered is that apparently .357 snub ballistics are not all that impressive. .
    Yeah, but they double as a flame thrower.

This is true, and why they are required in bug out bags. Zombies are highly flammable....

(Wayne County)

Also if you have to let loose a .357 inside with a short barrel be prepared to start using the phrases "pardon" , "would you repeat that please" , "huh' ...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Also if you have to let loose a .357 inside with a short barrel be prepared to start using the phrases "pardon" , "would you repeat that please" , "huh' ...
    Nice

ten

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Montgomery County)

Noah hit the nail on the head, the business demands steer the offerings.

My daily carry is a 19 ounce Smith and Wesson 386 Mountain Lite 7 shot in .357 Mag. I have never shot a .357 mag round in my Mountain Lite and I am not curious. (that makes me straight since I am not Mag-Curious) I see no additional benefit in having twice the pressure, muzzle blast, recoil and more velocity for my personal defense.

I have shot magnum loads in J frame scandium framed revolvers and they are absolutely horrid experiences. Go check the used shelves at your favorite gun store, there will be a few of them there for sale.

Very little additional defense utility is gained by .357 mag in a 2 inch (1 and 7/8ths actually) barrel. In fact, a larger fireball and recoil impulse may decrease your ability to deliver follow up shots. If you want .357 Mag performance, get a full sized revolver (L frame, N frame) since that is what they excel at. Take a long hard look at the hand of this poor guy during the recoil impulse with the ultra light weight Smith revolver compared to the 1911 in .45 ACP!!!

I am not advocating a 1911, I am a revolver guy (a Smith Revolver Guy) through and through. However, compare the trauma. Why buy the super lightweight .357 if you are only going to shoot .38 through it. Take the challenge and rent or borrow one and shoot a box of 50 through a .357 scandium J frame...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

It will be here saturday or monday most likely so we shall see.. Though I have read Steve's & Noah's posts on other threads and know that they offer great insight, I am that stubborn ass who has to experience it for myself.

My expectation is a decent shock at first, then it will be normal like anything else after 3-4 visits but still with a decent bite. My real curiosity is not the pain so much as it is the recoil as well as muzzle flash.

Thanks Steve for the video's, that was very neat and quite helpful since I love shooting my 1911's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast