Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Lights

(Cambria County)

Default Shotgun Lights

I was at the PAFOA shoot, and at the end of the day saw a black shotgun with a light on it. There was a wire leading from the flashlight to the foregrip. The foregrip had a pressure pad on it. When you grabbed the shotgun to shoot it. The pressure pad as in a good positions to operate. At least it seemed that way. I was wondering how well this worked? It seemed like it should work pretty good. And if it is worth it, who makes it?

May be a cheap fix till I can save up for a Surefire stock. I imagine it is cheaper than the Surefire stock anyway.

And while your reading this. Why not post some pics of how you have your lights mounted on your shotguns so I can get some ideas.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Default Re: Shotgun Lights

Many companies make them , all the way from much $$$ , to a little $$$
    , heck you get even get a pressure cord for a mini maglite
    Of course with a gun with some recoil you will want one that holds up

(Philadelphia County)

If you don't waste your money now, you're all the closer to the surefire forend.

Do things right the first time.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    If you don't waste your money now, you're all the closer to the surefire forend.

Do things right the first time.
    There you go.

No matter how much or how little you spend, nothing is as practical, efficient or as elegant as a surefire forend.

WOW!!! At only 249 for the mossberg model... Wait, thats what I paid for the shotgun!!!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire...hts-623fa.html

Starting to like the MiniMag a lot more
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I was at the PAFOA shoot, and at the end of the day saw a black shotgun with a light on it. There was a wire leading from the flashlight to the foregrip. The foregrip had a pressure pad on it. When you grabbed the shotgun to shoot it...
    If it was the one on the main range closest to the steel plate racks, it may have been mine.

Ignore those guys who said to get a Surefire, they're idiots.
    LOL! Just kidding guys!

Obviously, if you can afford it, get the best... if you're gonna use it, and abuse it, get the best. I can't afford one. I went with the TacStar and it's OK. You're not gonna permanently blind anyone with this light, for sure... there are others that are much brighter, but it's a LOT brighter than using one of those "Maglight" attachments.

The pressure switch can be placed where it works best for you. I will note that I needed to file down some of the grip ridges on the pump handle to create a flat surface to mount it. I took my time and only the area the size of the switch needed filed, with a casual glance, you'd never notice it. Filing also allowed the switch to be somewhat "recessed" which keeps the switch closer to the grip surface, making it that much easier to operate.

I really don't recall what I paid for it, but I want to say it was around $60-$70 and that was several years ago.
    I wouldn't "recommend" this one, because there are others that are better. I just see it as "better than nothing". Kinda' like my Cavalier, I'm happy with it, but there are other vehicles that are better, if you can afford them... like my Silverado!

Hope this info is of some use to someone.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

Hey Emptymag. That was your shotgun I was oogling. Nice set up that got there. I was impressed with the work.

I guess if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right. And put the light on hold till I can get the Surefire. But your right Frenchy, it cost almost as much as my shotgun. But, then it is a heck of a set up. They have them on the Shotguns at the Prison. I was playing with one in the Armory. Very nice. Love the switching system on it.

Now, about them Ghost Sights you have on there Emptymag. Do you like them? Did you install them, or did it come with them.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

I do not have much experience with shotguns but I do have some experience with using lights during low-light and nighttime shooting.

Generally, long guns (carbines and shotguns) tend to benefit from a mounted white (non-LED) light of at least 60 lumens.

The SF foreends for the shotguns are the way to go if you have the money, although I personally am not enamored with pressure pad tape switched - too easy for a light ND. One model of the SF does have a lockout switch, though.

Emptymag, your solution looks good. I persoanlly am a big fan of the SF G2 Nitrolon and 6P flashlights. For a long gun application I would recommend using a shock-isolated bezel and possibly also the click on/off tailcap switch.

As a sidenote, if any of you are running Benelli inertia-operated guns, I'd keep any accessories off of them. These are awesome guns but IMO are daylight guns. They do not like having things attached to them.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Allegheny County)

Thekatar, Good point.
    I neglected to mention that when I decided on a location for the pressure switch, I placed it so my thumb wasn't "forced" to rest on the switch for exactly the reason you stated. (light ND) Just because there's a light on the gun, doesn't mean you should use it. It's placed in a position that's optimal for my hand placement and enables me to choose "light or no light".

Mtbkski, Regarding the Ghost Ring sights... yes, I like them. No I did not install them. That's a Mossberg Peruader (500) with the 18" (18 1/2?) barrel and it came from the factory with the Ghost Rings. (I just changed the rear stock) I can't recall if the guy at the shop recommended them and ordered it that way or how exactly they came to be on that shotty, but I'm pleased with them.

As a kid, I never hunted much small game, (only fired my 12GA single shot a few times back then) so I don't really have much to use as a comparison for "sights". I just know that when I shot Bigjlen's gun with no sights, I missed all 5 shots on the star, and when I used MY persuader, it felt like I was cheating... it was so easy.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post

The SF foreends for the shotguns are the way to go if you have the money, although I personally am not enamored with pressure pad tape switched - too easy for a light ND. One model of the SF does have a lockout switch, though.
    Actually there are several switch options available for the 618 forends.

The one I have and prefer has both a pressure pad as well as an on / off rocker switch. I primarily use the on / off rocker switch but Surefire provides a pressure switch "block" which is about half the length of the pad to expose just enough of the pad to actuate the light. This feature mitigates to a great extent the potential for light ND's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast