Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Trip to Northumberland County Courthouse (Sunbury, PA)

So there I was.

I took my girlfriend today to get her LTCF. We arrived at the Northumberland County Courthouse, walked in the front door and up to the security checkpoint. Here goes the conversation:

Me: I need to check my firearm.
    Him: You need to check a firearm?

Me: "Yes."
    Him: "May I have it?"

Me: "My license to carry, or the firearm?" (I was carrying concealed upon entering, I assumed they would ask for it)
    Him: "Hand me the firearm."

At this point, I'm shocked enough that he would just ask to be handed it, in my previous experiences at other courthouses (Berks County), there was always a separate area and lockers, and they had the good sense not to handle a firearm that they were not familiar with.

Me: "Do you have lockers for it?"
    Him: "I have a locker, don't worry."

I handed him my firearm, muzzle down (I did not unload it, but I did tell him there was a full magazine and there was NOT one in the chamber. I figured this would be the safest course of action instead of clearing the weapon in a lobby full of people) at which point he grabs it by the slide from me. He then proceeded to clear the firearm (dropped the mag and racked the slide back to check the chamber) and puts it in a small safe inside a desk behind the metal detectors. He hands me a small laminated piece of paper that says "Weapons Receipt."

Me: "Do you need to see my license?"
    Him: "Nope."

I go through security, (I forgot about my Gerber Multitool that was on my belt, I was still analyzing this whole situation), we go to the Sheriff's Office (5 feet from the security checkpoint), and we do our business there.

When the girlfriend is done getting her license, I casually ask the deputy that had been handling the paperwork:

Me: "Isn't it normal for security to ask for my license to carry if I walk in the building with a concealed firearm?"
    Deputy: "You're not allowed to bring guns in here."

Me: "I understand, not past security, but you are allowed to carry up to that point"
    Deputy: "We/They usually ask people if they come in with one, to take it back outside"

Me: "Oh, okay"

I had realized at this point that the sheriff's deputy handling the firearms licenses really had no firm grasp on any firearms laws. Needless to say it was unnerving at best. I also figured out that if someone had a concealed weapon, instead of checking to see if they were legally carrying it, they would rather you just leave with it, legal or not.

So upon leaving, I handed the security guard my laminated receipt (the one with no information whatsoever on it). He handed my magazine to me first, and then my firearm. He said "Don't put that back in until you leave the building." So they would rather that I load my firearm on the front steps of the courthouse in full view of about 30 police officers, sheriffs, moms pushing their strollers, etc, than to do it to the side of the inside doors somewhere.

This place scares me if that's how they usually run things.

Default Re: Trip to Northumberland County Courthouse (Sunbury, PA)

At least the security guard at the checkpoint knew enough about the law not to tell you take your gun back outside and locked it up for you.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    At least the security guard at the checkpoint knew enough about the law not to tell you take your gun back outside and locked it up for you.
    I would have rather had it the other way around. (An ignorant security guard and a semi-knowledgeable deputy.)

(Northumberland County)

i got my LTCF there last year , they are nice people,but i dont know Sheriff Reiner very well but i heard he is pro-gun. I voted for him cuz i am a Dumocrat.

(Delaware County)

Dude, that is friggin terrifying.

I think that would be an excellent time to find out how appropriate it would be to tell the guard "Noone handles my firearm but me - I will place it in the locker myself."
    Junior

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCRich82 View Post
    So there I was.

I took my girlfriend today to get her LTCF. We arrived at the Northumberland County Courthouse, walked in the front door and up to the security checkpoint. Here goes the conversation:

Me: I need to check my firearm.
    Him: You need to check a firearm?

Me: "Yes."
    Him: "May I have it?"

Me: "My license to carry, or the firearm?" (I was carrying concealed upon entering, I assumed they would ask for it)
    Him: "Hand me the firearm."

At this point, I'm shocked enough that he would just ask to be handed it, in my previous experiences at other courthouses (Berks County), there was always a separate area and lockers, and they had the good sense not to handle a firearm that they were not familiar with.

Me: "Do you have lockers for it?"
    Him: "I have a locker, don't worry."

I handed him my firearm, muzzle down (I did not unload it, but I did tell him there was a full magazine and there was NOT one in the chamber. I figured this would be the safest course of action instead of clearing the weapon in a lobby full of people) at which point he grabs it by the slide from me. He then proceeded to clear the firearm (dropped the mag and racked the slide back to check the chamber) and puts it in a small safe inside a desk behind the metal detectors. He hands me a small laminated piece of paper that says "Weapons Receipt."

Me: "Do you need to see my license?"
    Him: "Nope."

I go through security, (I forgot about my Gerber Multitool that was on my belt, I was still analyzing this whole situation), we go to the Sheriff's Office (5 feet from the security checkpoint), and we do our business there.

When the girlfriend is done getting her license, I casually ask the deputy that had been handling the paperwork:

Me: "Isn't it normal for security to ask for my license to carry if I walk in the building with a concealed firearm?"
    Deputy: "You're not allowed to bring guns in here."

Me: "I understand, not past security, but you are allowed to carry up to that point"
    Deputy: "We/They usually ask people if they come in with one, to take it back outside"

Me: "Oh, okay"

I had realized at this point that the sheriff's deputy handling the firearms licenses really had no firm grasp on any firearms laws. Needless to say it was unnerving at best. I also figured out that if someone had a concealed weapon, instead of checking to see if they were legally carrying it, they would rather you just leave with it, legal or not.

So upon leaving, I handed the security guard my laminated receipt (the one with no information whatsoever on it). He handed my magazine to me first, and then my firearm. He said "Don't put that back in until you leave the building." So they would rather that I load my firearm on the front steps of the courthouse in full view of about 30 police officers, sheriffs, moms pushing their strollers, etc, than to do it to the side of the inside doors somewhere.

This place scares me if that's how they usually run things.
    Who was the deputy?? Did you get his/her name? I can talk to Chad about it.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    Who was the deputy?? Did you get his/her name? I can talk to Chad about it.
    I'll send you a PM.

(Indiana County)

I think that would be an excellent time to find out how appropriate it would be to tell the guard, "No one handles my firearm but me - I will place it in the locker myself."
    Except you're forgetting one important thing - they're not required to provide lockers. They're required to provide storage facilities, which they did.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Except you're forgetting one important thing - they're not required to provide lockers. They're required to provide storage facilities, which they did.
    (e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing the court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

A reasonable person would believe that "lockers or similar facilities" would constitute a secure place to store said firearm. In Northumberland, they do have a locker, so that is not an issue.

In another thread, linked here: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ourthouse.html

The firearm is placed in a drawer and no receipt given.

(Northumberland County)

I had almost the exact same experience as the OP this past Friday...

Took the wife to the courthouse so she could get her license. Walked up to the security guard (not a deputy) working the checkpoint, handed him my LTCF and had the following conversation:

Me: I need to check a firearm for storage.
    Guard: The sherif is the first door on the left.
    Me: (confused look)
    Guard: You have a firearm on you now?
    Me: Yes. I need to check it into storage.
    Guard: Hand it over.

Having read this thread, I had previously decided not to carry +1 to the courthouse. I removed the gun from the holster, dropped the magazine and handed both to the guard who then locked them up. I was never issued a receipt.

We went in, got the wife her LTCF and had a nice pleasant conversation with the two people working in the office. We were heading back out in less than 10 minutes.

After exiting through the security checkpoint the guard retrieved my firearm and asked me for my receipt... which I was never given. No problem though, he gave me my pistol back. I proceeded to re-insert the magazine and re-holster. Again, not chambering a round. While I am re-holstering, this conversation starts:

Guard: Next time, leave it in the car.
    Me: You are required by law to provide secure storage here.
    Guard: Are you a constable or something?
    Me: No. Just a citizen.
    Guard: Then I prefer you leave it in the car.
    Me: And I prefer not to walk around Sunbury without my firearm. Have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast