Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 ?

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up AR-15 ?

I am looking into buying an AR15 very soon. I have been doing some price shopping, but I am a little confused on what to look for when I am shopping for one. the main thing is what brand should I buy? I know as with most things you get what you pay for, but I also dont want to over pay. I know the most popular is a Bushmaster, but do I need to pay Bushmaster price to get a good rifle? I have seen some online from Atlantic firearms for a few hundred less then a bushmaster. I am not going to be entering in any competitions with the gun, so do I really need to go with a Better known brand as a Bushmaster? Is the Atlantic gun just a huge piece of shiate?

Also I have noticed there are different types of ar15's available. If I am just going to use it to have some fun shooting at targets, do I need a better flash supressor and so forth? I guess what I am really asking is, if it is just going to be a target gun, and a show piece. What specs should I look for in the gun? Hmm now with that bieng said I should probably mention that I would like to put a red dot scope on it, and possible a light.

Please give me your advice on what I should look for, and what brands are good, and witch to stay away from. Please give me some unbiased opinions! I dont want the best gun on the market, just the best gun for what I will use it for.

P.S Emptymag if your reading this, I just want to let you know that I read that other article, and loved it! I school everyone I can on the subject, when they bring up gun laws

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: AR-15 ?

I'll be damned... I was gonna say something snappy like..

"It was about time somebody started an AR-15 thread. These rifles are very popular but nobody talks about them..."

then I searched the forum for AR-15 to point you in the right direcction and nothing came up.. ....

... ....
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Yes, indeed there are LOTS of options for a AR-15......Just about every part on that rifle has a option for it.

As there are far better other people on this thread that can give you better specifics than i, i can just give you some general things you might want to consider on.

What size barrel length are you looking for? A long 20in that is very good for longer ranges....or a shorter M4 version that is 16in which is better for closer distances?

And if i am not mistaken, you can just about mount anything to any AR-15 lol so i wouldnt worry about having it not be able to put a red dot on it.

Anouther question would be....do you want a Flat top upper, or a upper with a carry handle? depending on the look you are going for.

I myself like the flat top with rails, with a good red dot your line of sight is much more close to the barrel, giving you a better cheak weld. Along with quad rail handguard, it turns out to be pretty slick.

The twist of the barrel is also another option(others can give you better specifics).
    the 1 in 9 twist i own is good for 55gr rounds, which i believe are the standard.

As for companies, a two off the top of my head that are very good are DPMS and Stag Arms.

I can only give you my recommendation on the ones that i have tried and own.
    Its not much info, but its a start buddy!
    I just got in AR15's not to long ago and they are very sweet.
    Drakin

(Philadelphia County)

[QUOTE=DrakinClaw;105470]Yes, indeed there are LOTS of options for a AR-15......Just about every part on that rifle has a option for it.

I noticed lol...

What size barrel length are you looking for? A long 20in that is very good for longer ranges....or a shorter M4 version that is 16in which is better for closer distances?

I dont see myself realy going past 200 yards with the gun, if even that far.

Anouther question would be....do you want a Flat top upper, or a upper with a carry handle? depending on the look you are going for.

I do love the look of a carry handle, but does it need to be removable to put a red dot on it?

The twist of the barrel is also another option(others can give you better specifics).
    the 1 in 9 twist i own is good for 55gr rounds, which i believe are the standard.

Very good to know!!!!

As for companies, a two off the top of my head that are very good are DPMS and Stag Arms.

Thanks!

It is a great start, and I thank you for your help

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=Pierce8468;105520]
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    Yes, indeed there are LOTS of options for a AR-15......Just about every part on that rifle has a option for it.

I noticed lol...

I dont see myself realy going past 200 yards with the gun, if even that far.

I do love the look of a carry handle, but does it need to be removable to put a red dot on it?

Very good to know!!!!

Thanks!

It is a great start, and I thank you for your help
    no problem man! glad to help.
    As for the carry handles, they are usually perminetly installed if you have a upper with one. There are custom red dot mounts for carry handle uppers i believe.
    unless you have a flatop with a detachable carry handle.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks Drak!!!! I just found the gun I am going to buy. It is a DPMS panther elite 16. It has the exact look I want for when it is sitting in the gun cabinet, and also has the 1*9 barrel you recomended. along with a chrome lined barel.

It has the two features I really wanted in the look, the cary handle, and the colapsible stock, and after your help I see that it will have all specs that I need, for what I need it for.

I cant thank you enough for your help! Perhaps after I get this in my posession we could meet up at classic, and have some fun with it. My treat of course as a thank you for your help in finding the right gun.

(Allegheny County)

This is a chart that has been put together by some very knowledgeable shooters. You can trust it to help you make your selection. You must first know what you want the rifle for, though, then the rest of your decision should be easy.

NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    I just found the gun I am going to buy. It is a DPMS panther elite 16. It has the exact look I want for when it is sitting in the gun cabinet...

It has the two features I really wanted in the look...
    I read this after I posted the chart. Any AR will work just fine for you sitting in the case; the DPMS should be good to go.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    Thanks Drak!!!! I just found the gun I am going to buy. It is a DPMS panther elite 16. It has the exact look I want for when it is sitting in the gun cabinet, and also has the 1*9 barrel you recomended. along with a chrome lined barel.

It has the two features I really wanted in the look, the cary handle, and the colapsible stock, and after your help I see that it will have all specs that I need, for what I need it for.

I cant thank you enough for your help! Perhaps after I get this in my posession we could meet up at classic, and have some fun with it. My treat of course as a thank you for your help in finding the right gun.
    i did not .....recomend anything, i just gave some info on what i know from my experiences, i am far from an expert man. Just a little information that i learned along the way when i first got one.

Classic pistol? nice place, i used to be a member there not to long ago. Im always down to group shoots man! But you dont need to pay for me lol

however my new range is Langhorne Rod and Gun Club.
    www.langhornerodandgunclub.org
    If you really want to stretch that DPMS legs out, you should come out as a guest sometime.All outdoor ranges, they have 100-200 yard range. along with far far more other things!
    Send me a pm!
    Drakin
    Last edited by DrakinClaw; September 11th, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

(Lawrence County)

If it's just for fun and cost is an issue......just build one. You can get out for $560 with a Del Ton kit on a Stag lower these days.

I have AR's from full custom I built myself with race parts to, custom guns built by smiths to shelf guns down to kit guns.

I've seen several kit guns break in the first 1000 rounds without issue.....without cleaning.....and I've seen some shelf guns that choked on everything. $1200 shelf guns are better than $600 kit guns.......but not twice as good. In the AR world you pay a lot for a rollmark. You could build your own with the same options for much less and a little bit if research. AR's are perhaps the easiest modern gun to build.

Lycanyoucanshootminethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast