Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default My lesson at Classic Pistol

I posted this in the General forum but I wanted to toss it here to wholeheartedly endorse Classic Pistol and its instructor, John- I saw several threads here about the place, but none about the instruction.

I went and had a lesson with John at Classic Pistol. I'll get the 'bad' out of the way first- and note, the 'bad' isn't necessarily objectively so, it's just a few things that turned me off.

1.) They don't permit rapid fire. That seems kind of lame, to me. I'm sure they have their reasons (safety, preventing damaged equipment from rapid fire, other customers being irritated, etc.) but it is still a turnoff to me. Granted I haven't been to many ranges (only three indoor ranges and one outdoor range), but this is, I believe, the only one so far with this restriction.

2.) The cost of the lesson is high. I enjoyed it very much, so this isn't really what I'd call a legitimate 'bad' thing, but hey, it always sucks to shell out top dollar, even when you're getting your money's worth.

---

Otherwise, I was super pleased with CP. Before we get into the lesson I want to talk about the good things about the place in general:

1.) The workers are super attentive. I once browsed at Tanner's and ended up walking out because they were too busy ordering lunch to give me the time of day, even though I tried for five minutes to establish eye contact. At CP I was greeted immediately, and we all joked and talked about various things. If I walked away from the counter for a few moments, as soon as I was back and obviously looking for assistance, someone was back to talk to me. I felt completely catered to without being 'overwhelmed' at all.

2.) Their selection is wonderful. Lots of pistols (my main passion), ammunition, ears, targets, bags, safes, reloading equipment, etc.

3.) The owner himself is very cool. When I got there Bob had just finished getting FUBAR by a little Diamondback 380 that had come apart in his hands and gashed up his face. Despite bleeding through his bandages, he still took the time to joke with me (a totally new face) and ask me about my lesson and how I liked it and all.

So, to the lesson itself: it was awesome! My instructor (John, the former owner) was very friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. His rate is by the hour, and so he was quick but thorough. At every turn he gave me the option to 'move on', so to speak, or to have him continue. It was a very courteous way for me to control the level of instruction and manage the cost.

He addressed all of my issues (from my concern about my slide not locking back to my awful double action trigger control), and I walked away better educated and far more competent.

My first run through (with the ability I 'brought to the table'), it looked like this:

Out of 40 shots fired, 20 were touching orange (50%).

With John coaching me, my second run through looked like this:

Out of 10 shots fired, 9 were touching orange (90%).

I don't mean to brag but that is by far my best shooting yet. That's at about 18 feet, and every shot is double action. The last five rounds made a single hole, as you can see. John is an amazing instructor, and it still stuns me that I improved so much over a single box of ammunition.

Great job, Classic Pistol. I don't have a vehicle (I need to take two buses for over an hour and then walk 20 minutes to get there), so for now I won't be able to join... but I will definitely be back the next time I'm looking to buy an accessory or maybe even my next firearm. I want to reward this kind of excellent service with my business.

Thumbs way up.
    Last edited by runningfast; March 17th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Default Re: My lesson at Classic Pistol

I'll admit in the past I wasn't a fan of the place at all, but it seems like they've really stepped up their customer service and attitudes in general and now I feel at home there.
    There are one or two employees I'm not a huge fan of, but besides them I like everyone else there. Bob is great.
    I've bought 3 pistols and a IWB Holster there and a friend bought 1 pistol, and myself and friends have shot there numerous times. I think the range and membership prices are just a tad bit high but it is one of the nicer facilities around.
    Overall I enjoy going there. Thumbs up for CP.
    edit: by the way, nice macbook I LOVE mine.

(Bucks County)

Interesting.

I have been wanting to take several courses there myself. The self defense in and out of the home.

I am also interested in the IDPA, but all of this will have to wait until I am back to work.

Recently was let go on Feb 15.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by runningfast View Post
    1.) They don't permit rapid fire. That seems kind of lame, to me
    I've never been at CP, but just want to make a general point. This restriction (that is clearly coming from range's SOP) has often something to do with newbies' ability to handle the jams and misfires. This restriction is usually lifted for ex-military (who knows exactly what are they doing) and some other categories.

I personally find it somewhat reasonable.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I've never been at CP, but just want to make a general point. This restriction (that is clearly coming from range's SOP) has often something to do with newbies' ability to handle the jams and misfires. This restriction is usually lifted for ex-military (who knows exactly what are they doing) and some other categories.

id like to also point out, that you really need to be blasting away for it to be a problem... ive "quickly" fired several weapons there and they havent given me any problems about it.

(Bucks County)

They don't allow rapid fire (even though You can shoot very quickly) but...

You can shoot full auto. Gotta love that.

Great shop and great staff.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    They don't allow rapid fire (even though You can shoot very quickly) but...

You can shoot full auto. Gotta love that.

Great shop and great staff.

Seems a bit contradictory huh??

(Montgomery County)

The proof is indeed in the pudding. The difference between the first target and the second is proof you got what you paid for. I would consider that 100 bucks well spent. Consider the economics of shooting including the expense of ammunition.

I endorse the shop as well, not just because Bob is a revolver guy. The prices are reasonable, their gunsmith can work magic and the range is quite nice.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post

Yeah, like I said I'm sure they have a good reason for the restriction.

(Bucks County)

Saw this thread and figured I would chime in also.

Bob and the staff at Classic Pistol are Top Notch.......The place is clean, the selection is great, and the staff are always very friendly. I lucked out when I moved within 5 minutes of the place. Don't hesitate to give them a shot at your business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast