Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default How to carry AK / AR rifle magazines in your carrier.

After watching a couple of the videos of guys reloading AK's at a high rate of speed. I went and got my magazine vest and put it on. (First, I lost so much weight that I had to tighten the darn thing up all over) I put a mag in the AK, then, grabbed a mag from my pouch, kicked the old one out, went to insert it, and voila... the darn thing was upside down.

So, do you carry your magazines right side up or upside down in your vest pouches. With them right side up, you would think they are more prone to getting water (from rain) and dirt (if your on your belly moving around) in the magazine if they are in there with the magazine opening toward the top.

Since they are AK magazines, they have the curve to them, and aren't totally covered by the flap on top of the carrier holes. So, this is a concern of mine. Or should I not be concerned about this at all?

So, do I want them right side up, or upside down while carrying them in my vest?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Default Re: How to carry AK / AR rifle magazines in your carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    After watching a couple of the videos of guys reloading AK's at a high rate of speed. I went and got my magazine vest and put it on. (First, I lost so much weight that I had to tighten the darn thing up all over) I put a mag in the AK, then, grabbed a mag from my pouch, kicked the old one out, went to insert it, and voila... the darn thing was upside down.

So, do you carry your magazines right side up or upside down in your vest pouches. With them right side up, you would think they are more prone to getting water (from rain) and dirt (if your on your belly moving around) in the magazine if they are in there with the magazine opening toward the top.

Since they are AK magazines, they have the curve to them, and aren't totally covered by the flap on top of the carrier holes. So, this is a concern of mine. Or should I not be concerned about this at all?

So, do I want them right side up, or upside down while carrying them in my vest?
    I use belt worn pouches for my mags, baseplate up and bullets facing forward.

When I need to reload the manual of arms is slightly different for each situation but I dump the inserted mag while grabbing the baseplate in the palm of my hand and index the front of the mag with my fingers. Indexing is important so you have firm control of the magazine...rectangular peg into rectangular hole and charge as necessary depending on the reload type.

I would consider a chest pouch for reloading with retention so that mags can still be easily accessible that are not topped off and are not mixed with fully loaded mags or completely empty mags (dump bag or just mixing mags)

The art of the tactical carbine covers this in the gear/reloads section/drills.

If you're taking that Vickers AK class, he should be covering that as well.
    Last edited by Kaos; March 16th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

(Cambria County)

Lots of looks, but only one comment. Guess I'm not the only one confused on this matter.

Lots of looks, but only one comment. Guess I'm not the only one confused on this matter.
    There isnt a right answer really. Some guys do the bullets facing rear and bear can grip it, some do bullets facing forward. I haven't seen anyone run with their ammo exposed though.

You have to find what works for you and stick with training that way.

For me it's the method above. I don't like chest pouches because in the reality that Im going to need my gun quick, Im going to grab my gun and maybe my mags (I usually have them on the sling so I'm kind of forced to take them with me)...that gives me 3 mags out the door.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Im going to grab my gun and maybe my mags (I usually have them on the sling so I'm kind of forced to take them with me)...that gives me 3 mags out the door.
    How the heck you doing this. Got any pics. Would love to see it.

(Delaware County)

reverse engineer it, go from the mag in the rifle and remove it and put it back in your vest. How it is oriented will probably feel the most fluid for loading it.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by TimtheDestroy View Post
    reverse engineer it, go from the mag in the rifle and remove it and put it back in your vest. How it is oriented will probably feel the most fluid for loading it.
    Ahhh come on. It really can't be that simple.

How the heck you doing this. Got any pics. Would love to see it.
    belt clips just snapped onto the sling. I've got them off now because I'm making new AR mag pouches now (kydex) so I'll show you how they turn out once those are down.

(Allegheny County)

I don't run any pouches right now for carbines so I can't really help that much. My first instinct would be to have them they same way that I store my pistol mags.

Baseplate facing up, bullets pointing forward.

I know that there are videos on YT of guys in LAV's class. Check them out and see how they are running them.

Here is an example from LAV's class ...

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TimtheDestroy View Post
    +1

This is how I decided. Whether using 1 mag in an individual pouch, or 6 mags in a SAW pouch; I have them rounds down, facing away from my navel toward my hip.
    The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast