Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Good ol' Washington DC

Not sure if this is new or old news, or whether or not its even reliable information at that. I took a trip to DC to visit a friend of mine, and left the guns at home because I was under the impression that there is a handgun ban there. As we were walking around , I noticed that many of the buildings had signs that said firearms were not allowed past this point( except for law enforcement blah blah blah). I asked my buddy why the signs were necessary if handguns were not allowed in general. He said that he heard something about how Washington DC has this "taxation without representation" campaign going on, and since they are technically not a state that they are not following local and state law until they get appropriate recognition, so the handgun ban has been lifted? They even have "no taxation without representation on their license plates? Have I just been clueless for some time on this matter, or whats the deal?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Good ol' Washington DC

The old ban on new guns being registered and the requirement that they be unloaded, locked, disassembled was lifted, but you still need a license to carry there and the gun to be registered. ...which, the only thing that effectively changed was the "no new guns" to be registered/locked up/disassembled clause.

You still cant take your guns there unless you register them and get a DC license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Soon DC is going to be forced to recognize any LCTF/CHL/CCW. The case is Palmer v. DC which we soon expect a ruling on.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Indiana County)

Nice place, our Nation's Capitol. You can't carry unless you're licensed, and they're not issuing licenses. Hence Palmer v. D.C.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Nice place, our Nation's Capitol. You can't carry unless you're licensed, and they're not issuing licenses. Hence Palmer v. D.C.
    plenty of people carry guns in D.C. without a license, so yet another FAIL for D.C.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    plenty of people carry guns in D.C. without a license, so yet another FAIL for D.C.
    That's because D.C. won't give them a license, so they're weighing their odds and going in favor of safety.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I guess the signs are for criminals, since the only people carrying guns in DC are law enforcement and criminals.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by redbeard86 View Post
    Not sure if this is new or old news, or whether or not its even reliable information at that. I took a trip to DC to visit a friend of mine, and left the guns at home because I was under the impression that there is a handgun ban there. As we were walking around , I noticed that many of the buildings had signs that said firearms were not allowed past this point( except for law enforcement blah blah blah). I asked my buddy why the signs were necessary if handguns were not allowed in general. He said that he heard something about how Washington DC has this "taxation without representation" campaign going on, and since they are technically not a state that they are not following local and state law until they get appropriate recognition, so the handgun ban has been lifted? They even have "no taxation without representation on their license plates? Have I just been clueless for some time on this matter, or whats the deal?
    Interesting. I have to ask, when were you there? What kind of buildings were posted(gov. bldgs or buisnesses)? Was this a recent trend or were these buildings always posted?
    Reason I ask is because this may be DC trying to pre-empt a Palmer victory by posting everything possible off-limits to CCW. Right now, I'm not sure if there are any legal non-LEOs with permits in DC. The DC council revoked the police chief's authority to issue permits a few months after Heller, and the said permits were only good for 1 year anyway. Not to mention there were probably very few issued before that time as well.
    If that's not the case I don't know what it could be. If you go to NJ or MD where CCW is severely restricted you don't see any buildings posted. Why waste time posting a building for the few people who have a CCW?

(Franklin County)

"Federal facilities" nationwide have long been prohibited places, with the same statute requiring notice in the form of signage at the entrances. Given the denser than usual scattering of "federal facilities" in DC, I suspect that is what the OP was seeing.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

I noticed a sign on two different buildings, one a historical house from the 1760's, and the other at the entrance to a bookstore/cafe. Both were located in the Georgetown area.