Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Taurus 709 SLIM.....FTEs Galore...help!!

SEE UPDATE AT END
    Just got an Taurus 709 Slim last week and finally got out to shooting it today.
    Well, I had read a bunch of reviews on this gun in different magazines, forums, etc. and came to the conclusion that this little gun either works absolutely flawlessly or jams every other shot.
    I took a gamble and thought perhaps I will get one of the ones that works great...alas, I was wrong....terribly wrong.
    I got through the first magazine(7 rounds) fine, put in the second mag and then it started. Got my first FTE. Didn't think much of it considering it's a new gun and perhaps it's was just the ammo. Cleared it and fired again...FTE. Cleared, fired two more rounds and FTE again. Thought perhaps it was the magazine, so I reloaded the first magazine. Got through 3 rounds and then two consecutive FTEs. Changed ammo from Blazer Brass FMJ to Federal JHP. Boy, it didn't like that Federal at all. FTE on 14 consecutive rounds.
    Switched to Remington UMC, 14 rounds/4 FTEs. Switched to Hornady Critical Defense, 14 rounds/6 FTEs. Had a FTF with this ammo also. The Slim has "Second Strike Capability" so I pulled the trigger again and NOTHING. Pulled it again and it fired.
    Well after trying about 4 different ammos (FMJ and JHP) with a total around 120 rounds, I got about 30-some FTEs and 1 FTF.
    Pretty much all the FTEs were exactly the same. The spent casing was only slightly or partially extracted from the chamber and the next round was trying to come up. I had to lock back the slide, kick out the magazine and either shake out the empty or go in after it with my knife to pop it out. See pic below
    I am guessing there is something wrong with the extractor. Anyone out there with a 709 Slim? Looking for some advice. Don't want to have to send it to Taurus for repair, but if that is all that can be done, then I have to.
    Wanted this gun for a compact concealed carry weapon. At this point, I would never depend on this gun for carry. Thanks for any info

ETA: HOLY CRAP! Finally got my gun back. This thing eats EVERYTHING up now. I put 300 rounds through it trying out 5-6 types of ammo...even the infamous WWB. NOT ONE SINGLE FTE or FTF! Taurus customer service was extremely friendly and they fixed it right.
    Last edited by Germothy; May 4th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Default Re: Taurus 709 SLIM.....FTEs Galore...help!!

Sell the Taurus, and buy a REAL gun......

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

If it was my pistol, I'd first look carefully at the extractor. Is the spring strong enough ? If you can move it by your finger without exerting a real effort, it is probably too weak.

Second, the geometry of the claw must be right. It must hook the case and not slip off. The empty hitting the ejector is what allows the empty to pivot in the claw and flip out of the ejection port, and it needs the proper geometry to have that happen withreliability, without slipping off the rim of the case, as it appears is the process in yours.

My guess is that it may be a combination of the two. The empty should not stop where the pic shows it, against the mouth of the next case. With proper claw hold, the case should stay in the claw until it hits the ejector. Anyway, the empty should not rise into the lips of the mag until after the slide clears the mag, by which time the empty would have been fully drawn out of the chamber and past the hood.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

And what Fingers said. Normally I'm not so direct, but since the subject has been broached...

KelTec highly recommended

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

I had the same problem with mine. Sent it back to taurus. They put a new extractor in. It took them two weeks to send it back. Now it works fine.
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by rey View Post
    I had the same problem with mine. Sent it back to taurus. They put a new extractor in. It took them two weeks to send it back. Now it works fine.
    Rey
    What about FTFs? any problems?
    Would you trust it for a CCW?

(Allegheny County)

I never had any failures to fire with mine. The only problem was FTE. Since I got it back it has run like a top. Yes, I do use it as my primary carry weapon most of the time.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Germothy View Post
    What about FTFs? any problems?
    Would you trust it for a CCW?
    Break down the slide and clean out the firing pin channel - probably lots of gunk in there that might be the problem.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Hokkmike Guest

I think you have gotten good advice here. I just wanted to share that I was sorry for your troubles. It is a shame that we pay ggod money for our pistols, take them home and they don't do the basic job we paid for.

There should be a free replacement or money back period for this type of problem. Alas, guns are like running shoes - you really don't know how well they will serve you until you have gone a few miles.

I hope you get it resolved.

(Bucks County)

Did you clean the pistol before firing? These things came packed with a shit ton of super thick grease/lube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast