Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default I want to remove my 1911 ambi safety.

I have been carrying a Taurus 1911 iwb and every once in a while I will notice the safety has disengaged. It has the ambidextrious safety which I dont need as Im right handed so I was considering removing it. I feel this is whats causing my safety to switch while I am carrying. My first thought was to just dremel it off. Its a Taurus so its not like Im going to destroy a masterpiece here but how should I go about doing it the right way. Thanks..

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I want to remove my 1911 ambi safety.

OC it in a nice molded holster. problem solved
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Put the dremel away

The design of most ambi-safeties is two pieces and cutting off the opposing side would cause it to fall out and render pistol *broken*

You need to have it replaced with a regular (non-ambi) safety. And yes, thumb safety will need fitted by a gunsmith or someone *competent* in the task. But it's a simple job.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

OK desire was put to rest. Im an impulse dremeler. Ambi safety is still intact.

(Adams County)

Just thinking here. You carry IWB strong side? You see, my Para-Ord. P14 has an ambi safety, and because I too am right handed, I use my thumb to snap the safety off on the left side of the weapon as I bring it into a firing position. For the safety to disengage on its own, I'm seeing the left edge snag and disengage, so should I remove it, that would leave me with an awkward safety disengage. Am I missing something, or am I just completely off the wall here?
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Erie County)

Ditto what PA Patriot said.

I bought a Wilson replacement safety for my PT1911 because the right side of the original interfered with the Crimson Trace laser grips I added.

I studied some pictures of how to fit the new safety myself but decided against doing it myself. The added cost of having a competent smith doing it is offset by the peace of mind in that your firearm is less likely to malfunction when you need it.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orion0317 View Post
    Just thinking here. You carry IWB strong side? You see, my Para-Ord. P14 has an ambi safety, and because I too am right handed, I use my thumb to snap the safety off on the left side of the weapon as I bring it into a firing position. For the safety to disengage on its own, I'm seeing the left edge snag and disengage, so should I remove it, that would leave me with an awkward safety disengage. Am I missing something, or am I just completely off the wall here?
    The right side of th safety would be what is getting snagged or bumped to the off position,b/c the holster doesn't cover it. So don't remove the left side of your safety. Yes you missed something and I can't tell you if you are off the wall cuz I don't know you. That is something you find out for yourself, anyway.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    The right side of th safety would be what is getting snagged or bumped to the off position,b/c the holster doesn't cover it. So don't remove the left side of your safety. Yes you missed something and I can't tell you if you are off the wall cuz I don't know you. That is something you find out for yourself, anyway.
    Right...I think I understand now.

No worries, I'm comfortable in my insanity.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum