Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default living in Hershey...looking for nearest public ranges & local clubs

I am located in Hershey, PA and need some help finding public ranges in the area that are closer than those outside Carlisle (Cumberland Co.), outside Dillsburg (York Co.), and outside Halifax (northern Dauphin Co.); I am also looking for a good, fun, and down to earth club that offers indoor pistol, outdoor pistol, outdoor rifle, recreational trap, and shotgun patterning facilities;

thank you for reading and posting info...

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: living in Hershey...looking for nearest public ranges & local clubs

Palmyra Sportsmen's Association is a great club...
    Sunday October 14 is Field Day Open House 10am to 6pm, it's open to everyone FREE bring your handguns, shotguns, rifles and ammo and have fun.
    I been a member since 1989...

http://www.palmyrasportsmens.com/
    Last edited by ssom003; September 8th, 2007 at 06:42 AM.

(Lebanon County)

I'll second that!
    Palmyra Sportsmens Association is a great facility. You'll find everything there that you asked for, plus indoor and outdoor archery, action handgun, PPC and more.
    There's a range in the Hummelstown area too, but I don't have any details on it.

(Berks County)

And I'll add a third- PSA is great,been there for over 2 years, a great place to shoot.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Lebanon County)

Palmyra it is then...how is their indoor pistol range...lead only? jacketed ammo allowed? magnum calibers allowed?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
    Palmyra it is then...how is their indoor pistol range...lead only? jacketed ammo allowed? magnum calibers allowed?
    Unless things have changed, which is a good possibility, here are the rules to the best of my knowledge:

Jacketed ammo is allowed. There is a sign posted with recommended calibers and if I remember correctly there are no magnum calibers listed. The reason is report rather than velocity. The back stop is sufficient, they just want to keep the noise down to a tolerable level. Being in an indoor range I always double up with ear protection and I can tell you that even with the sound deadening measures that are built in, and wearing foam plugs and mickey mouses, magnums are still loud, I understand the reasoning. They also prohibit bottle neck cartridges, it's straight wall only. I can't shoot my Thompson Contender there with a .22 Hornet barrel, regardless of the load, even if I'm shooting a 45 grain lead bullet at 900 FPS, it's not a straight wall cartridge, therefore it's not allowed.

The reason I say there is a good possibility of rule changes is that the last time I was there I saw a sign posted warning everyone about the possibility of rule changes and the possible installation of video surveillance due to continued use of shot shells and way too many errant shots hitting the ceiling and other places that they shouldn't hit.
    These problems have been mentioned in the news letter, but they continue to be problems.
    (Like anything else, It just takes a few to ruin it for everyone).

(Lebanon County)

thanks all...sounds like a good place to check out

for those curious about the PGC ranges being shutdown...go over to the thread about it under the ranges section...some interesting insights and info over there; seems we might be losing some ranges permanently and private clubs might be effected in the indefinite future