Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Had a sit-down with the Chief of Lansdale Police

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    the laws for recording audio are much more restrictive than the laws for recording video. if the dash cam only video tapes, and does not record audio, there is no problem at all.

if the dash cam also records audio, there is a specific exception in the statute for that, but the officer/trooper is supposed to inform you that you are being audio recorded at the earliest safe time (like immediately for a typical traffic stop).
    Some do record audio as well as video. The officer will have a mic on his duty belt.

I skipped here from Page 1, but I will tell you that you don't want to conceal the recorder, that's closer to illegal (whatever the case law says) than openly recording would be.

PA's all-party consent means that all parties have to be aware of the recording, not that all parties say "I consent". If a cop tells you to turn it off, ask him what he's afraid of, and tell him that you refuse to participate in any conversation where he's free to testify that you said something that you never said. Tell him that you're recording "for everyone's safety".

The case law may say that police can be recorded surreptitiously, I don't know. But the statute applies to secret recording, so unless you want to be arrested while they sort it out, I wouldn't secretly record them.

As for "permits" vs "licenses", I'm looking at the 1976 Crimes Code right now, and Section 6109 from 34 years ago refers to "licenses", so the Chief might want to brush up on the law a little more often.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    ... there's no reason for the goon squad to show up. if they do, it will be a mistake on their part, one they'll regret.
    Excuse me???!!!!! LOL!

(Chester County)

Viper, you get an A+ for effort but with nothing but good will to you a big fat F for the overall grade. In a perfect world the DA will actually make the PD aware of the mistakes they made. What do I really think? I think you fucked this up big time Viper.

You cannot put a caveat in the beginning post saying that we should not ostracize you simply because your intentions were good. It does not work this way when you act on other people's behalf.

I am irritated with the reputation that you project for the rest of us. Fact is.. they won this battle and unless they do actually educate themselves and do the right thing I doubt this incident will do little more than bolster their arrogance to the issue.

When I do eventually get stopped for OC (only a matter of time I am sure) I will not say a word and the next thing they see will be a letter from my lawyer and possible suit.

I totally understand your enthusiasm Viper but did you really think they would take kindly to you telling them how to do their job? Did you think it would help the rest of us by going in there like a loose cannon? Because in their eyes that is exactly what you are. Some young punk who has too much time and wants to teach them a lesson.

People do not change unless they have to! The LE you spoke with today are probably sitting with their famalies right now with not a thought about this at all. Where, if they had gotten their asses chewed out by the DA and were scared about losing their jobs because of an impending suit then they would remember and not do it again.

Cmon! We need as a whole to do better than this. If we plan on actually being able to maintain or rights then we MUST do better!

(Delaware County)

Your meeting went HORRIBLE.

Props for taking the initiative to do that, but you were not prepared.

The captain, sargent and department are OBVIOUSLY clueless about the law, among other things.

The questions you asked and the incorrect responses that followed are extremely common, and you should have been better prepared to respond.

Please follow up ASAP and put that office in it's place. Thanks

We do more harm than good when we aren't prepared. you may have strengthened their incorrect opinions and mentality by not correctly correcting them, promptly and accurately

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    svltrack, since you seem to know exactly how to handle this type of situation, why don't you help me draft a letter to send to the police chief here in lansdale, as well as one to send to the DA, that will help resolve this corruption of power?

There's an awful lot of people telling me how wrong I am, and pretty much not one fucking person who is offering to help aside from being an armchair motherfucking quarterback. I know this is my small, insignificant little 3-square-mile town, but I'm doing what I can here. I've owned a gun for a month and have been stopped by the police once (and haven't even really been looked at funny by another citizen, letalone asked questions or berated), so please forgive me if I make some rookie mistakes.

Why don't you go back and read post #47 before making such a statement? LRT has provided everything you need and put it on a silver platter and handed it to you.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

pretty much not one fucking person who is offering to help aside from being an armchair motherfucking quarterback.
    please go back and read my earlier post (number 47)

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ml#post1136104

if you need more help than that...well, something is wrong.
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

I'm going to wait until after I set up, and many people attend, a meet and greet. If I send a letter or have another meeting with the Chief, his response will be, "You're 23 and you're not a lawyer, so you have no idea what you're talking about, lol"

If we show up and exercise our right en masse, he'll be more willing to listen.

I apologize for that last post - I'm fucking frustrated right now.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; March 12th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.

(Allegheny County)

f I send a letter or have another meeting with the Chief, his response will be, "You're 23 and you're not a lawyer, so you have no idea what you're talking about, lol"
    not if you actually go in prepared...and i gave you everything you need to be prepared. don't let him focus on you...make him focus on the law and court rulings. and go with him if he says that..."you are correct, i am not a lawyer. but these statutes and case law that i am citing definitely give rise to questions. i simply suggest you talk to lansdale's lawyer and get his opinion."

and, frankly, learn a life lesson from this. always have your ducks in a row *before* challenging someone (especially someone in a position of authority).

and learn to ignore MMQBers, naysayers, etc. you will live a lot longer, healthier, happier, and more productive life that way.
    F*S=k

(Chester County)

This is not a popularity contest, say what you want. I spoke my mind about what you did today. I know you have nothing but good intentions and maybe I was a little harsh. I am also pissed off that they walked all over you and your rights.

Some might disagree here however the thing that would piss me off most was their possible defamation of character through either negligence or malice. What makes them any better than you? You are the one who knows the fucking law regarding these issues! Yet YOU are the one who has to deal with their charade.

The fact that you are frustrated about your rights being violated is a good thing! Ask if you have questions like you have on many of the threads here that I have read. As the cliché' goes... the only stupid question is the one not asked. One more thing… get a fucking lawyer!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast