Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default The times when we are the most vulnerable

I was noticing today that I had a bad habit. When I take my shower, I get undressed in the bedroom, put on a bathrobe, and then go to the bathroom and take my shower. I realized that from the time I get undressed to the time I get dressed again, I am completely unarmed. The only weapon I'd have in case of a break-in is the plunger, which may only kill the intruder with laughter.

It got me to thinking about all the times we're vulnerable, and especially the time that we don't know how vulnerable we are... I'd never thought about it before, but when I'm in the shower, I'm unarmed, naked, and preoccupied... I would not be ready for an attack.

People feel safest in their homes. However, simply feeling safe makes us more vulnerable. When we feel safe, we let our guard down. So, in light of my shower realization, I have decided to make some changes, as well as reinforce some of my older safety guidelines:

From now on, my gun will be placed on the tank of the toilet, just outside the shower when I'm bathing.

Because my carry gun is a DA, and does not put pressure on the firing pin when the hammer is down, I always carry with a full mag, a round in the chamber, safety off and hammer down.

At night, the gun goes on the nightstand, easily accessible in case I need it.

I clean my guns every time they are used, and if they are not used for more than a month, I break them down and make sure they are oiled and ready.

Everyone, post your little "rules" for situational preparedness, and tactical preparations. Perhaps we can all learn a little something and be a little safer!
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Delaware County)

Default Re: The times when we are the most vulnerable

I'm all about being prepared...but some of you guys are para-noid

My biggest fear is taking a shiet...a messy shiet, you know when you sneeze halfway through it coming out and you cut it in half?

Then you need to spend half a roll trying to get clean.

THAT'S! when a fire is gonna break out in my house and I will need to take my chances with eating up precious minutes wiping or choose to run out the front door with shiet running down my leg.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; March 11th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

i put mine on the toilet, or the sink.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    From now on, my gun will be placed on the tank of the toilet, just outside the shower when I'm bathing.
    Why not take it into the shower with you?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Why not take it into the shower with you?
    I sincerely hope that was a joke...
    Everyone should have an AK-47

I sincerely hope that was a joke...
    Get some of THESE and you're good to go.

. . .

Because my carry gun is a DA, and does not put pressure on the firing pin when the hammer is down, I always carry with a full mag, a round in the chamber, safety off and hammer down.
    . . .
    Making a mental note here, to bookmark this so I can link back to it and explain some variation of this story: "Police investigate mystery shooting in local bathroom: Naked man found shot once in his shower; forensic experts believe that the shooter fired from the vicinity of the toilet tank, where a gun was found. The bathroom door was locked from the inside."

Personally, any intruder has to get past my dogs, which gives me the 3 seconds I'd need to retrieve a loaded shotgun from the bedroom, a location which won't rust a gun.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Adams County)

Two of the most common times people are most vulnerable are when they are getting into their vehicles or entering their home. Nearly all of your attention is focused on getting to the car/home, unlocking the respective door, and either driving away or settling down. Those two moments are two of the most likely times anyone with ill intent will choose to attack. So what to do?

Personally, while walking towards my car, I will approach my vehice from about a row of parking spaces over, so I have the necessary distance to ensure that no one is around or under mine, or anyone else's car. I don't fiddle with my keys, nor do I unlock my doors until I am right next to the car (for those with remote access). I scan the parking lot as I walk to the car, and usually perform a quick walk-around to check that everything is as it should be.

My routine for walking to my door is fairly similar. When I lived in an apartment on the second floor, I occasionally took the back set of stairs so I could approach from a different angle. Once again, I didn't fiddle with my keys, and I never dallied around outside my door. I would get the key, scan the area as I unlocked the door, open the door and get inside quickly before locking the door behind me. Now that I no longer live in an apartment, my routine is different, but still encompasses the same basic ideas; scan the area, don't frequent the same entrance/exit points if possible, and don't loiter around an unlocked door, as that can invite some unwanted attention.

With most of my doors and windows locked even when I'm home, two German Shepherds, and me carrying 95% of the time when I'm home, I don't feel too uncomfortable inside my own home.
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Montgomery County)

I am deeply, deeply ashamed of all of you.

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Adams County)

You know, the real benefit to that is you don't even have to take it out of the bag...
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast