Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Newbi SA/DA question

So I'm thinking of buying a pistol for range shooting and home defense. (Hopefully more target shooting than home defense)

I seem to be drawn to the SA/DA pistols. The two that have my attention are the Rugar P345 and the FNP-45 by FNH. I think on both of these the manual safety is also the decock mechanism. Is this standard on most SA/DA pistols?

Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Newbi SA/DA question

Some will have that some will not. There will also be different versions of pistols with that feature. Take the Beretta 92fs for example: safety and decocker in one. Then there is the Beretta 92g which is pretty much the exact same pistol but the lever only acts as a decocker and will spring back up (no safety). There are others too, like the 92ds and 92d models.

The Ruger I think only has one option. They FN may have several different choices such as DAO or SAO. I'm not sure. Just make sure which ever one you want, that you write down the exact model # so you don't end up buying the wrong gun.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Newbie SA/DA question

Thanks. I think the FNH has the DAO option.

And that brings up another question. What is the thinking behind DAO? The hammer needs to be cocked back by the trigger every time the pistol is fired?

(Montgomery County)

The idea behind DAO is a long steady trigger pull needed before firing AND a uniform trigger pull all of the time. For example, with DA/SA autos the trigger pull is not the same for every shot. In a DAO pistol, it is the same, uniform trigger pull.

Also, with the DAO there is no safety or decocker... which makes the platform easier to use.

I prefer DAO for my carry revolvers, as it is the only practical way to use a revolver in the usual circumstances.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Newbie SA/DA question

Quote Originally Posted by KTN65 View Post
    Thanks. I think the FNH has the DAO option.

And that brings up another question. What is the thinking behind DAO? The hammer needs to be cocked back by the trigger every time the pistol is fired?

The hammer being cocked back before every shot is a single Action and only with a revolver AFAIN. A Single Action on a semi-auto requires the first cocking but the working of the slide recocks the hammer.

The thought behind DAO guns is since it requires such a pronounced pull of the trigger their is no need for an external safety and becomes easier to use in a "situation" where your fine motor skills may go out the window.

The DA/SA use the long trigger pull as a safety but follow up shots in SA mode after the first would be more accurate given an easier trigger pull.

The decock/safety on a DA/SA allows it to be used as such or "cocked and locked" with the safety on giving the user more options.

Hope this helps and if you are lookign DA/SA I would not count out a Sig Sauer.

(Centre County)

I have Beretta 96D(DAO), and LOVE it!

I was skeptical with DAO(and 40S&W for that matter) at first, but as I shoot more and more of it i can't help but to liking the long, smooth, and light, and very predictable DAO trigger!

Its like DA wheelgun trigger, and I for one, think its perfect for CCW trigger.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Delaware County)

my CZ-85 is sa/da and I absolutely love it...no decocker though..just a safety.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I have Beretta 96D(DAO), and LOVE it!

I was skeptical with DAO(and 40S&W for that matter) at first, but as I shoot more and more of it i can't help but to liking the long, smooth, and light, and very predictable DAO trigger!

Its like DA wheelgun trigger, and I for one, think its perfect for CCW trigger.
    I too am skeptical about DAO, but your explanation of a predictable trigger pull has me rethinking.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    my CZ-85 is sa/da and I absolutely love it...no decocker though..just a safety.
    Andrew, so on your CZ-85, can you have it cocked and locked? Or does the hammer have to be decocked to engage the safety?

(Lawrence County)

All,

Thanks for all the great info. So on a SA/DA where the manual safety is also the decock lever, is it possible to be cocked and locked?

BTW: Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm not really set on any caliber or manufacture. I think the only parameter I have set is to consider a pistol made here in the USA first. (But that is not set in stone, my current "go to" shotgun is a Benelli )

KTN65

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KTN65 View Post
    I too am skeptical about DAO, but your explanation of a predictable trigger pull has me rethinking.

Andrew, so on your CZ-85, can you have it cocked and locked? Or does the hammer have to be decocked to engage the safety?
    it can be cocked and locked. =) only way to decock it is to fire it or manually lower the hammer which is very unsafe!
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast