Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Snyder County)

Default Help on picking some new guns...

So I am looking to buy two new guns in the near future. One for me and one for the wife. She wants a .22 to start with. She has shot all of my guns, but wants to start with a .22 of her own. I think she would prefer a DA revolver. She really likes my Taurus Tracker with the 7" barrel, but I want to get her something just a little different than I already have.

As for me, I am looking for something a that I can carry all the time. I have my XD40 as my favorite carry gun, but it is just a little too big in the summer and at work. So I thought about getting a Keltec P11 9mm. But I have also considered the P3AT for better stopping power.

What do you guys think?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help on picking some new guns...

my .02 cents - if the wife wouldn't mind a a .22 that's not a revolver, the ruger mark II and III are excellent guns - i have both..............for a revolver, i'm still a big fan of ruger, although i had a new england firearms 9 shot that i loved and was accurate beyond belief...........

carry gun? i've heard nothing but good things about the keltec - i actually have my eye on one now that i'll pry end up buying............ or, consider a sub-compact glock 9mm or .40.............(yes i'm a huge fan of glocks )
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Lancaster County)

I carry a PF-9 EVERYWHERE I wrote about it in another post I copied it here

Before I turned 21 I bought a Keltec sub2000. I shot 2000+ rounds without a jam. That earned my respect. After I turned 21 I got a PF-9. I've only shot a little over 200 rounds but no problems yet. I used 200 Winchester 115gr. FMJ target rounds and 14 Federal 124gr. JHP rounds (a buck a pop I just want to make sure they work). I fell in love with my PF-9. I can carry it anywhere. I usually just stick in my pocket (no holster).May sound unsafe but its DAO and the trigger pull in almost an inch with quite a bit of force. I haven’t shot myself yet. Anyway it doesn't print to badly in jeans or even dress pants and fully loaded it only weighs 16oz. so light you can almost forget its even there. I'd recommend it for carry mostly for the convenience. I do plan to get something a little bigger to carry in the winter. The weapon is very simple and I feel at the moment of truth I won't have a problem using it because it has no safeties. I feel confident I could take down a threat with eight rounds of the right 9mm ammo. But it packs like a .380. As far as DAO’s long hard pull, it took a little getting used too but it’s not a competition gun it’s for carry. As far as accuracy, pretty impressive for a 3.1’’ barrel. If there is any other questions I’ll do my best to help.

The count is 300 rounds no jams
    Chill out it's a gun not a pipe bomb

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    So I am looking to buy two new guns in the near future. One for me and one for the wife. She wants a .22 to start with. She has shot all of my guns, but wants to start with a .22 of her own. I think she would prefer a DA revolver. She really likes my Taurus Tracker with the 7" barrel, but I want to get her something just a little different than I already have.

As for me, I am looking for something a that I can carry all the time. I have my XD40 as my favorite carry gun, but it is just a little too big in the summer and at work. So I thought about getting a Keltec P11 9mm. But I have also considered the P3AT for better stopping power.

What do you guys think?
    Ive done a bit of buying and selling but I'm settled on my current handgun list:
    SigSauer 226R in 357Sig
    SigSauer 220R in 45acp
    Kimber Ultra Covert 2 - 3inch in 45acp
    Walther P22 Military

All four each serve their own purpose.
    the Kimber is great for Concealed Carry
    Either Sig is great for Open Carry
    and all four and great for the range.
    Obviously the .22 is super cheap for target ammo.
    NRA Basic Firearms Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

"....the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

(Luzerne County)

IMHO, A Glock 19 (9mm) for the mrs, and either a Glock 21,or an XD tactical(.45 ACP) for you. Get a .22 just for plinking.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by SSGF109 View Post
    IMHO, A Glock 19 (9mm) for the mrs, and either a Glock 21,or an XD tactical(.45 ACP) for you. Get a .22 just for plinking.

Yeah, I am looking for a .22 for her for plinking. And I already have and carry a XD40.

(Washington County)

For a plinking .22 - most DA revolvers would do the trick. S&W K-22's are pretty sweet. I have several H&R's as well. They can be had at decent prices, and a 9-shot capacity makes for more shooting and less reloading.

If you already have a .22 revolver, I'd go with a Browning Buckmark for a semi auto.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Montgomery County)

My wife and I both carry the XD 9mm, I carry the 4" she the 3". We recently bought a Walther P22 which we really enjoy shooting. Got a sweet deal on it at French Creek Outfitters. It's not as easy to disassemble as the XD but also not a problem.

Gun for the wife? I'd let her pick.

In the category of "can't go wrong" .22's: Ruger MKIII and MKIII 22/45, Buck Mark and S&W 22A. Each is reliable, shoots accurately and consistently. Each has it strong points.

I'm not a big fan of the P22. I have one. It's fun to shoot, light and has a real leg up on "cool" factor. Accuracy and materials of construction put it a step below the Rugers, Buck Marks and 22A.