Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default .22lr AR upper/conversion?

with rising ammo costs in .223, im trying to see what are my options in .22lr for my AR.
    Not being a expert, i was under the impression that, in order to shoot .22lr out of the AR, i would have to buy a whole new upper chambered for .22lr. (which costs a couple hundred)

However, i was told by a friend of mine, Lordiego , that all i need is actually a simple conversion kit, no new upper needed. Which i hear is far cheaper.

Outside of google info, does anyone have any specific links, or knowledge, of what i can do in order to make my .223 fire a .22lr?

Thanks for all the help.
    Drakin

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: .22lr AR upper/conversion?

I hope Danp chimes in on here. He's got a .22 conversion for his .223 m-16. So far as I understand, .22 and .223 is essentially the same diameter (give or take .003) and .22lr will fire without a problem out of a .223 upper. You might loose a bit of accuracy with the extra .003, but if you are firing .22s I doubt you are going for the tack-driver effect.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I hope Danp chimes in on here. He's got a .22 conversion for his .223 m-16. So far as I understand, .22 and .223 is essentially the same diameter (give or take .003) and .22lr will fire without a problem out of a .223 upper. You might loose a bit of accuracy with the extra .003, but if you are firing .22s I doubt you are going for the tack-driver effect.

im assuming there is no FFL, with it being just parts?
    Last edited by DrakinClaw; September 6th, 2007 at 04:50 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    found a link

im assuming there is no FFL, with it being just parts?
    The only thing I've heard (no personal experience) is that they're dirty. Ciener recommends firing a couple .223's every few hundred rounds to clear out the gas system.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    The only thing I've heard (no personal experience) is that they're dirty. Ciener recommends firing a couple .223's every few hundred rounds to clear out the gas system.
    good tip man, but cleaning is not a worry, im stringent on cleaning my rifles every other time they go out.

The ceiner kit just drops into your .223 upper.

It is the only kit (currently) that has 30 rd mags availible. black dog machine makes 30 rd mags that can be found for around $25

I actually just bought one and i'm currently in the process of building a dedicated upper for it using a spare ruger 10/22 barrel

(Luzerne County)

I have and run a Ciener kit.....LOVE IT!!! I get a few hundred rounds off before I start getting any jams or FTF due to getting dirty. I shoot the cheap Rem golden value box ammo. It's already paid for itself. Shooting 22s out of a 223 barrel is fine, I have an M16 upper I picked up to make a dedicated 22. It has a slower rate of twist (1:12) which stabilizes the 22 bullet better (most 22s are around 1:14 or so). Thank PA PATRIOT for the tip/idea, he recomended it. I also have an Oly kit which is the same as the US mil kit, it was on back order for 6+ months and just arrived a few days ago. I'm probably going to put it in the classifieds since the Ciener came in first and I am already using it. Black Dog does or will shortly make hi cap mags for the Ciener and Oly 261 kit.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

I paid $125 from midway for my kit

I finished building my dedicated upper. Other than one OOB (common to the Ciener) it is working great, and sounds great w/ a can.

vid from the supressed shoot today courtesy of Lucas.. (Im the one in shorts.) The rapid fire @ about 22 seconds is my supressed AR w/ the Ciener)
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...100_0035-1.flv
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Washington County)

$125 for a ciener kit is a pretty good price. their website is showing $139, but out of stock. $139 is about as good as I could do, so after me shipping it, you'd be just as well to order it direct from brownells.

I have a kit, and I've ordered several for other customers and everyone's been happy with them. The run well right out of the box. They are a bit dirty.

From what I read, a dirty gas system isn't a problem as the first .223 will clean that out. The problems can arise if the are where the locking lugs lock up gets too dirty. If they don't lock up right, the gun can fire out of battery, etc.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

$125 is the dealer price. Though the week after I ordered mine they went on sale for $125.

If anyone's intrested in building a dedicated upper here are some pics of the modified 10/22barrel and ciener kit.

I ended up just copying The new Kuehl Precision setup. It was actually rather easy using the Ciener chamber adapter as the basis for the Kuehl copy. I just bored out the original on the lathe, and turned the ruger barrel to fit inside. It's a standard factory ruger 10/22 barrel cut to 10". The barrel is only pressed in. I made the barrel adaptor (sleeve) and left a .004" interference fit between it and the barrel. I also cut a shoulder into the barrel so I could just press untill it hit the shoulder. I don't recomend using ruger barrels though as the breech face is hardened (I destroyed a carbide insert)

No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast