Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Glock 27 or Sig 239 for ccw

Just as it reads. Please say why you would recommend one over the other. Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Glock 27 or Sig 239 for ccw

glock: capacity, weight, size, trigger, ease of operation, low maintenance....though i still always recommend it in 9mm

(Bucks County)

I carry both glocks and sigs (neith of those you mentioned) depending on the clothes, season, etc.

I'm personally more of a Sig guy, but the Glock will give you DOA with little trigger pull - a great advantage in a sudden draw. The Glock is lighter (and that 27 is smaller) making it more comfortable to carry, but the Sig being heavier and bigger will be a more stable platform against recoil.

Best thing I would suggest is just going to a shop/range that will let you rent them, try them both out, and see how they feel in a holster concealed to figure out which is best suited for you personally.

sigs are great guns, but they are heavy, and hold less ammo... so for a CC gun i'm not a fan of them

(York County)

I have to agree with XD45 and 31B. Sigs are heavier, hold less ammo, and maybe a little larger. With all that said, I've always chosen Sigs over Glocks. ALWAYS. Just because they fit more comfortably in my hands, I am extremely comfortable with their controls & operation, and I tend to shoot them a bit more accurately. That's just my personal preference, as you can probably tell by my screen name.

If you're wanting a DAO, the P239DAK is a more recent addition to the Sig lineup providing a 7.5 lb DAO, although a bit more compared to the G27 5.5 lb pull. But it does has a bit more grip to hang onto than the G27.

Best thing to do is start shooting both, a lot. Then decide which you're most comfortable with. They are both GREAT guns and neither would be a bad choice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    glock: capacity, weight, size, trigger, ease of operation, low maintenance....though i still always recommend it in 9mm
    I haven't picked up a 239 recently, but if you look at the two manufacturer's websites, at the respective technical specs, the Sig 239 is really more like the Glock 23, not the 27, in size. With the Sig, you get a lot of size and weight but only a single stack product.

For anyone actively shopping, I would definitely advise picking up a G23 and a Sig239 and holding them side by side and make A/B comparisons. And then, having selected the Glock, get a G19 instead.

(Allegheny County)

Try the Glock first, well... try'em both first. Glocks to me are like bricks and i hate them, they do not fit my hands, but in others they do, it's a love hate relationship.

That's just my standard glock warning after having shot them and finding a lot of people hate the grip. I do hope to look at the G21SF when I can find one.

(Bucks County)

Grip ergonomics are indeed subjective, to a large degree. For example, whatever grip angle you're used to...different grip angles will seem uncomfortable (at first). However, we should distinguish "what I'm not used to" from "bad." Thus you see a lot of comments by 1911 shooters that the Glock has a "bad grip angle," but that's simply a statement of preference, not fact.

Triggers are all about individual preference, though is generally factual that one trigger pull all the time + a short trigger reset = easier to learn.

Grip ergonomics are all about individual preference, though it is generally factual that a lower bore axis = less perceived recoil, and it is absolutely factual that lower bore axis will give you, for the same overall size, more grip handle and less receiver, hence more of a grip to hold onto and higher capacity.

Personally, and subjectively, I didn't care for the Sig's high bore axis (felt uncomfortable to get a good grip on), and the thumb swell on my Sig 228 got in my way. Also, the decocker was near enough to the mag release button that decocking tended to accidentally drop the mag. Of course, the 228 fit and finish oozed quality. Still, it has less grip to hold onto than the G19 and 2 fewer rounds, so it lost the struggle for holster time with the same-sized G19. That was my experience; other's will differ.
    Last edited by dgg9; September 6th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a Sig 229 that I love to death, but I would never carry it any other way, but OWB. I also have a G23 and a G27 that I love CC'ing. Try both on and see which one feels better for you to have with you all the time, or it defeats the purpose of both. Personal feeling is all that matters. Hell, in the Army, I had to try to CC a 1911 government model IWB, until they got me a better CCW. Both are great firearms.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Northampton County)

The Glock will be less expensive than the Sig. I like the way Glocks carry in that they don't have pointy bits (hammer or beavertails) sticking off the back. I also like their clean exterior. That's just me & this is very subjective.

I think a Glock 23 would make a nice carry piece. If you wanted to go smaller check out Kahr arms' product line. They also have a clean profile.

The Sig however is a better quality gun in my opinion. I carry a Glock 20 & don't even own a Sig. Sigs are great guns I just don't own one.

If you get a Glock,you may want to look into some mods such as guide rod (original rod is junk) and stiffer recoil spring. Actually...I feel that most pistols are undersprung from the factory. That's just me and I'm sure some will disagree. I also have a Lone Wolf barrel in my G 20 as I don't care for Glock barrels. I think my next mod will be a stronger firing pin spring.

If you can get a good price on a used but not beat Glock,you can upgrade it & still have less $$$ into it than a Sig.

You may want to also look at the Springfield XD line. The XD .45 compact is close in size to a G 23. It's just a half inch longer.

If you want all steel, you can check out the CZ compact guns. Good guns & moderatly priced....CZs tend to be very good shooters. I own a CZ 97B. This model is a bit big & heavy for carry but I've done it. With CZ you may have to replace a junk plastic guide rod. I did on mine. The drawback to CZ is there are less holsters made for them than Glock,Sig or Springfield. And....you're back to pointy bits sticking off the back end.

Don't limit yourself to just 2 choices. Whatever you get,become familar with your carry piece & pratice with it.
    Last edited by reverserboy; September 6th, 2007 at 04:39 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast