Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Flower Show at Pennsylvania Convention Center-Philly

My wife and I were going to attend the Flower show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia today. However, as we entered the center there was a sign saying that "due to new security risks" those attending would be subject to a search. I wasn't about to go back and leave my gun in the car--the parking place we used takes your key and attendents have access to the car while you're gone. And I wasn't all that excited about going to the flower show anyway--so we just left. And besides, I don't ever leave my gun in a parked car in Philly.

But afterwards it occurred to me that I should have gone on in to the center far enough to see if they really were searching every one of the thousands of people attending. Did anyone go to the flower show this week? Were they searching everyone who entered? If so did they make any provision for people carrying to check their weapons?

(Adams County)

Default Re: Flower Show at Pennsylvania Convention Center-Philly

Yep, if I were already there and willing to accept not being able to enter anyway, I would have proceeded and let them refuse my admittance. You don't have to allow a search, they don't have to allow you to enter, and you can spend your money anywhere you desire.

Good thing you didn't lock it up in the car, because we all know you could get arrested for having your weapon stolen from your car in Philthadelphia.

As mentioned, I would have just continued on to see exactly what happened at the "checkpoint"...and then decide what to do

Besides, you had already paid for parking...which ended up being wasted since you did not attend the show

(Delaware County)

My wife & daughter went yesterday, carrying all sorts of illegal contraband you're not supposed to bring in (their own food and drinks). They were not searched or even challenged. They got there at ~8 AM and said hardly anyone was around yet so they would have been more likely to have been checked out because of low entry volume.

Of course, a maniacal looking PAFOA member, bristling with firepower, might have been a different story.

(Chester County)

When my mother and I went to the Auto Show, there were similar warnings. I CCed my Mil-pro without a single issue. I made my mother carry the other assorted contraband - she wasn't hiking around the convention center without a drink, and she OCed her Dasani. (Without a holster, I might add. Unsafe water handling, right there.) Not even a peep from security. I wouldn't be concerned, I think they are just covering themselves should they need to collar someone for stealing, or something of that nature. There is no way that they have enough security staff at most of those events to perform large numbers of random searches.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Monroe County)

Smile Re: Flower Show at Pennsylvania Convention Center-Philly

I had no issues when I went. Walked in, got our tickets and went to the show. I've gone to the show for the last 10 years with no issues.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartos View Post
    My wife and I were going to attend the Flower show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia today. However, as we entered the center there was a sign saying that "due to new security risks" those attending would be subject to a search. I wasn't about to go back and leave my gun in the car--the parking place we used takes your key and attendents have access to the car while you're gone. And I wasn't all that excited about going to the flower show anyway--so we just left. And besides, I don't ever leave my gun in a parked car in Philly.

But afterwards it occurred to me that I should have gone on in to the center far enough to see if they really were searching every one of the thousands of people attending. Did anyone go to the flower show this week? Were they searching everyone who entered? If so did they make any provision for people carrying to check their weapons?

flower show with the wife? take out your wallet, retrieve your man card, and hand it over.

i would have gone in anyway, just to see if they realy were searching. they were probably profiling, and only targeting those who looked fishy. here in NEPA, i've brought guns into venues that also did searches, but i never was. i went to see TOOL a few years ago at Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre; the only thing they were concerned about is if my phone had a camera.

(Philadelphia County)

Flower show is nice, but I no longer go because I get some sort of 'information overload' in places with that many people in such a small place.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by KnightZero View Post
    When my mother and I went to the Auto Show, there were similar warnings. I CCed my Mil-pro without a single issue. I made my mother carry the other assorted contraband - she wasn't hiking around the convention center without a drink, and she OCed her Dasani. (Without a holster, I might add. Unsafe water handling, right there.) Not even a peep from security. I wouldn't be concerned, I think they are just covering themselves should they need to collar someone for stealing, or something of that nature. There is no way that they have enough security staff at most of those events to perform large numbers of random searches.
    I have to stop hanging out on this site. Besides getting smarter about all gun stuff, I found myself wandering why I had not heard of the "Dasani" brand of firearms.......... Please tell me I wasn't the only one..........

(Montgomery County)

Well, my husband and I went that Tuesday, arrived about 10:30am. There were Staff with wands at the entrance to the flower show area, right at the convention hall. This is after you had paid your ticket and walked past the coat checks and seminar rooms. I am not sure what would have happened at that point?? It was too crowded for my comfort - maybe 8am is the better time to go!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast