Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Night Sight Trouble

So last night after reading the thread on 1 eye vs. 2 eye an interesting thing happened..

I was sitting at home and all of a sudden the lights went off (someone hit a pole I think). I cannot surf the net or read on here.. what better time would I ever have to practice the 2 eye open approach than this??

So I have my glock 33 next to me and the sights are glaring. I hold it up at my reference point in my living room and much to my surprise I cannot do it! Well I could do it but only after I close my less dominant eye and then affix the points with one eye. I sat there for a solid 10 minutes playing with it and got maybe a little bit better but off to the side I could always see another set of points.

Has this happened to anyone else? A fix besides a lot of practice?

Also to note, I have perfect 20/20 vision and also did not have any problem with practicing with 2 eyes open in a lighted environment
    Last edited by svltrack; March 6th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Night Sight Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post
    So last night after reading the thread on 1 eye vs. 2 eye an interesting thing happened..

I was sitting at home and all of a sudden the lights went off (someone hit a pole I think). I cannot surf the net or read on here.. what better time would I ever have to practice the 2 eye open approach than this??

So I have my glock 33 next to me and the sights are glaring. I hold it up at my reference point in my living room and much to my surprise I cannot do it! Well I could do it but only after I close my less dominant eye and then affix the points with one eye. I sat there for a solid 10 minutes playing with it and got maybe a little bit better but off to the side I could always see another set of points.

Has this happened to anyone else? A fix besides a lot of practice?

Also to note, I have perfect 20/20 vision and also did not have any problem with practicing with 2 eyes open in a lighted environment
    its all about practice, only thing that might make it easier in the dark is a difft color front sight.

(Chester County)

Or Heinie type (2 dot) sights, or rear sights with no inserts.

(Lancaster County)

It might help if you practice in a dimmed room, if you have a dimmer switch. Or practice at dusk outside as the sun goes down. Id start when its still almost full light and work your way down to full dark. Another idea would be to practice during a full moon. I do not know a quick fix for this i had to practice a lot! And i still think i suck, i feel it takes me a sec to adjust. My guess is from all the years of 1 eye closed shooting. Good luck!