Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Flattened primers with SKS... how flat is too flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're already over the max published load, in a semi auto that uses an op rod.
    Well I realize that now. I'll just have to make a note that the Speer reloading manual is wrong.

The reloading info says you're running a compressed load, which will also increase chamber pressure.
    It's not even listed as compressed in this manual. I was able to fit the powder in my case with room to spare. I'm not sure how it's compressed. Strange.

So for the record, flattened primers are always a sign, and it's usually of BAD thing to come. PLEASE get help with reloading if you want to continue doing so, you MUST know when your load is too hot and what the signs are, even if they fall into the "normal" specs for that cartridge.
    That's why I asked. I've only fired about 10 of these rounds, so it's not like I've been shooting hundreds of them. I had no intention of continuing to shoot them until I received confirmation from more knowledgeable people.

Default Re: Flattened primers with SKS... how flat is too flat?

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    Well I realize that now. I'll just have to make a note that the Speer reloading manual is wrong.
    I think that's a good idea, and I'd just be careful to check other manuals for some other reloads. You might should contact speer and let them know about it, it could save someone's life, or firearm at least. I'd be happy to do it, if you would give me the reloading manual and edition. They may be aware of it already if it's not a brand new one, but it's still worth mentioning to them.

It's not even listed as compressed in this manual. I was able to fit the powder in my case with room to spare. I'm not sure how it's compressed. Strange.
    Yeah, some manuals don't always list compressed loads. Sometimes the powder will sit in the case with room, but when you have to seat a bullet into standard COAL, the amount that's seated into the case will still compress the powder. If you seat the bullets slowly, you can usually feel the powder crush and settle a little, sometimes not. I don't reload with that particular powder, so I don't know how close it is to being a compressed load or not, but sometimes different brass will have slightly different capacities due to differences in brass thickness (or steel), etc. So it could be the case that in the brass you were using it wasn't.

That's why I asked. I've only fired about 10 of these rounds, so it's not like I've been shooting hundreds of them. I had no intention of continuing to shoot them until I received confirmation from more knowledgeable people.
    I'm glad to hear you haven't fired more of these rounds and that you're stopping. There's a lot of people that don't know how dangerous it is to shoot over pressured rounds. Some people would continue to shoot however many they reloaded, and just plan on not doing the same reload their next batch; when they really should have just pulled the bullets. So I'm glad that you aren't going to continue, and just wnated to make sure that you stopped shooting those reloads. I don't know you, but I still wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you or someone else. This isn't an SKS, but kind of gives you an idea of what can happen when reloads go bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12