Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Finally got to shoot my gun

A few weeks ago I bought my first gun. A Springfield XD-9. Got it used, only 100 rounds through it. The deal was too good to pass up. I've been dying to shoot it. Had only held the XD in the shop prior to purchase. Like I said, I had to move on the gun for the price.

I've done a ton of dry fires, handling the gun. Preparing myself, getting familiar with the weapon. Dropped my paperwork off at the Sheriff this week for my LTCF as well.

Got 4 boxes of ammo with it in the purchase. Finally it's nice out, so I went to the SGL PSR this morning.

Wow, I love this gun. It feels awesome to fire. Really comfortable. Minimal recoil. Considerably less than the Glock23 .40 I fired a couple weeks ago. Went awesome.

Cleaned the gun nice and good when I got home. Can't wait to get back out and run more round through her.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Finally got to shoot my gun

Sounds good! Congrats on the new pistola!

(Berks County)

I feel your excitement! I had my "first" pistol out to the range for the second time on Thursday! Wait till you get your LTCF, then you will have the piece of mind being able to take it wherever you go (where it is legal to do so).

Good luck and enjoy!!

Welcome to PAFOA, and Congrats on applying for your LTCF

The XD is a great gun . . . it will serve you well, Mine eat anything I feed it without issue.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Jefferson County)

Congratulations on your first gun. Sounds like you made a good choice.

.40 has a good bit more oomph than 9mm so in comparable guns you will feel more recoil from the .40. Starting shooting, I think you made a good decision to go for lower recoil--it's easier to work on the fundamentals of shooting when you're not fighting heavy recoil.

I'd also suggest you take a good beginner pistol shooting class before you learn bad habits.

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 05:56 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys. I'm looking for pistol classes in the area. So far I'm coming up empty.

I actually wanted to get a .40 but the price on this gun was too good to pass up. But I'm glad I got it. It feels great and it's easy to shoot.

Only had a couple minor issues with the gun yesterday. One failure to eject, and twice the slide did not lock open when the mag emptied. But all three where when my wife was shooting it. I have a feeling she is not seating the mag proper, or with enough force. She sorta just taps it in there. Not sure if that had anything to do with it...but overall no issue.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm looking for pistol classes in the area. So far I'm coming up empty.

I actually wanted to get a .40 but the price on this gun was too good to pass up. But I'm glad I got it. It feels great and it's easy to shoot.

Only had a couple minor issues with the gun yesterday. One failure to eject, and twice the slide did not lock open when the mag emptied. But all three where when my wife was shooting it. I have a feeling she is not seating the mag proper, or with enough force. She sorta just taps it in there. Not sure if that had anything to do with it...but overall no issue.
    The problems that came up with your wife shooting were probably related to limp wristing since it was only when she shot it. It's pretty common for new shooters--both of those problems arise when the slide isn't traveling far enough rearward while cycling. Again, not sure how XD's break in so it could still be at least partially that.

It always sucks having a nice gun that you want to shoot but cannot. I had to wait a month before the weather down here was warm enough to go out and shoot my Glock.

Hokkmike Guest

This is what it is all about....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast