Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default I want a new carry pistol (opinions wanted)

I know there's a ton of these threads lately, I'm just jumping on the bandwagon!

I currently carry an XDm9, but I'm thinking about replacing it. I have a CZ85B (9mm) for target/range use, and I have developed an attraction to hammer fired pistols, but I want to keep that CZ for the range. I would like something a bit smaller than either of those for carrying (not that I have trouble w/ the XDm, it conceals fine)

So here are my specs:

1. 9mm (don't want to stock another caliber)
    2. $700 +/- price tag
    3. 14-15 rd. capacity or more (+1)
    4. Hammer-fired
    5. External Safety, frame (not slide) mounted
    6. 3.5"+ barrel length
    7. DA/SA (can have de-cocker, but must be able to be carried cocked
    & locked)

And what I have found so far, along w/ some quick observations:

1. FNP-9/17 (like the different trigger/safety combos)
    2. HK USP (or compact) - (don't like the safety lockout) (pushes the
    $ limit)
    3. Taurus 809B or BC (also has safety lockout) (concerned about rep)
    4. CZ75 Compact (I really like CZ, accurate, too)
    5. CZ P07 Duty (not full length slide rails like the CZ75)

Please give me input (reliability, concealability, accuracy, etc.) on any of these pistols if you have one (or more).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Default Re: I want a new carry pistol (opinions wanted)

No Berettas?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No Berettas?
    Unless I missed something, they all have a slide mounted safety, which requires an upward thumb push instead of down, the turn the safety off.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Unless I missed something, they all have a slide mounted safety, which requires an upward thumb push instead of down, the turn the safety off.

Ah, missed that. I'm only familiar with one Beretta, Mrs Curmudgeon's 8045 Cougar. That slide mounted safety is also a decocker, and I tend to look at it as a decocker, not a safety, although it does both.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Columbia County)

The HK USPs certainly are big guns, which don't jive with wanting something a bit smaller... but very sexy.

Here's a quick review I did of my CZ P07: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/74...ge-report.html

(Dauphin County)

Max384, thanks for the link to your P-07 review. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Does your P-07 have what CZ calls the "Omega" trigger? You didn't like the safety, huh? Does it feel flimsier that the decocker?
    As the to HK USP, there is a compact model that is more than 1" shorter in length, 1/2" shorter in height, and about 1/2# lighter than the XDm, but still holds 15+1. That's probably the HK that I would go with.

ETA: Sorry Max, just saw that the HK USP compact only holds 13+1, so it doesn't meet all of my specs. You right, the full size is only fractionally smaller than the XDm.
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; March 6th, 2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: correction

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Max384, thanks for the link to your P-07 review. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Does your P-07 have what CZ calls the "Omega" trigger? You didn't like the safety, huh? Does it feel flimsier that the decocker?
    As the to HK USP, there is a compact model that is more than 1" shorter in length, 1/2" shorter in height, and about 1/2# lighter than the XDm, but still holds 15+1. That's probably the HK that I would go with.

ETA: Sorry Max, just saw that the HK USP compact only holds 13+1, so it doesn't meet all of my specs. You right, the full size is only fractionally smaller than the XDm.
    I really don't know if it has the omega trigger. That's honestly the first time I've heard that term. The decocker on the CZ feels great, nothing wrong with it at all... the safety feels very flimsy though.

I didn't notice that you were also looking at the USP compact. I've never actually seen or handled their compact.

(Susquehanna County)

Why? Did your XD stop working? Is it failing to fire? Has it gotten too fat to carry comfortably? Has it lost its' reliability or somehow broken down?

I know more guns, more fun is one way of looking at things. But, if your current carry gun is a winner in all respects why change just for something new unless there is real improvement?

Especially since this is a carry gun, you're not only changing the gun, you're changing holster, magazines and mag pouches and your method of carry also. Which also means re-training with the new gun and all the accessories. That's fine if you are determined to become an IDPA 5 Gun Expert, but, might just confuse issues otherwise.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

No Berettas?
    Or Sigs? A used P-6 would meet all your requirements, the factory reconditioned German LEO's are usually pretty nice guns
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Jefferson County)

Ah, missed that. I'm only familiar with one Beretta, Mrs Curmudgeon's 8045 Cougar. That slide mounted safety is also a decocker, and I tend to look at it as a decocker, not a safety, although it does both.
    Yea I wish you could find a 92G (French-specific 92FS where that is only a decocker, and always springs back to the fire position) anywhere. Of course, you can still use it as such and that's what I think I'm going to do with my 92FS--just have the extra motion of turning the safety off after decocking.

I'd suggest a 92FS to the OP, but for carrying I'd look into the polymer framed Berettas before it just for cutting down on weight. A 90two or PX4 would fulfill all your requirements besides a frame-mounted safety. DA/SA pistols are generally intended to be carried with the hammer down, so I would check the pistol's manual for a suggested mode of carry before I carried a DA/SA "cocked and locked" like you specified. The DA/SA pistols I'm familiar with engage some sort of hammer block, lock the firing pin in place, or do something else that keeps the hammer from moving the firing pin when you use the decocker.

tdyoung58:
    Sig P6's only hold 8+1, pretty far away from the specified 14-15. Sig does make a lot of higher capacity pistols that would easily meet most of his requirements.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast