I didn't need a sponsor when I joined last year. Just handed in the application and a check. You get a receipt that allows you to use the ranges until your membership is formally voted on at the monthly meeting. Once approved you'll get a membership card in the mail.

Like Mike said, no need to be a member to enjoy the organized shoots. But if you don't have a private range to practice on, the annual membership fee is quite inexpensive.

I haven't gotten into too many of the rifle shoots yet, but the pistol shoots are friendly. There are shooters of all different skill levels, and no one is looking to make anyone else seem like an idiot.

The practical pistol shoots are typically 4-5 stages that usually incorporate movement while firing, firing from various positions and from behind "cover". If you're just getting familiar with your handgun, the pin shoot may be a better starting place. You just stand still and try to blast the bowling pins off of the table. If you haven't tried it, it isn't always as easy as it sounds. The practical shoots are probably the best defensive scenario training you'll get for 5-10 bucks though.

Now if you could just let me know your secret to getting your girlfriend into shooting with you. I've been unsuccessfully trying to get my wife into it for a couple of years now.