Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Montgomery County Courthouse - this is about as good as it gets

I had some errands to run today, including a quick trip down to the courthouse in Norristown to pay a fine from a PD charge last year. I open-carried to the courthouse and went inside to check my weapon. Voice recorder on in case TSHTF, I waltzed in, and this is the precise exchange that followed.

I walked in and stayed to the left to speak to the guard by the X-Ray machine.

"How are you doing, I need to check my sidearm."

He told me to go around the metal detector and pointed out an officer to speak with.

"Do you have ID?"

"Yes I do." I took out my driver's license and handed it to him.

"Can I see your permit to carry?"

"I walked in here on foot openly carrying, so you don't need to see my license."

"Ok, then you can't take your gun up into the courtroom."

"I don't want to anyway, I just want to check it."

"Oh, alright, right over there, then."

The officer motioned me to another gentleman sitting at a collapsible table. This officer took out a form, filled in what I was checking (gun, 2 full mags, and a chamber round) and had me write my name, address, the date, and sign it. They had me place it all in a locker, locked it up, and handed me the receipt. They then had me go through the metal detector, sans weaponry, and wanded me because I forgot to take off my watch. I went on my merry way.

I specifically made a side-trip down to the sheriff's office to tell the Acting Sheriff's assistant that they did a wonderful job upstairs on my way in - very professional, entirely courteous, and exactly by the book with pretty much no hiccups of any kind. I asked her to pass the message on to the acting sheriff with my regards and thanks.

When I left, they had me re-write and re-sign the paperwork to make sure I was the same guy that came in, and unlocked the locker. I asked if they were OK with me racking it there as opposed to outside, and they agreed as long as I kindof did it in the corner. I accidentally pointed it at one of the officers for a second as I was chambering (don't worry, I made sure the safety was on), but it's difficult not to point it at someone when you're basically surrounded by people. He said, "Don't point that thing at me!" with a grin on his face, so no harm, no foul this time.

We all wished each other a good day, and off I went. Amusing, at the beginning of this exchange, the first guard asked the others why I needed to check my weapon, since he thought I was a cop. I guess I look the part.
    Junior

Default Re: Montgomery County Courthouse - this is about as good as it gets

I don't get this part:

"I walked in here on foot openly carrying, so you don't need to see my license."

If you showed him your LTCF he would have let you carry into a courtroom???

(Montgomery County)

Great. I'm heading over there in half an hour too.

(Allegheny County)

I was thinking the same thing

to goons thought

(Montgomery County)

Question Re:"Montgomery County Courthouse - this is about as good as it gets" - Well, Yes & No

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    [snip]

[snip]
    Obligatory "it a LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS not a permit" for the terminology police.

[Open carry check-in] This is being debated around here based on the specific phrasing of the governing law, but yea.

Can't take it in no matter what.

[snip]
    The officer motioned me to another gentleman sitting at a collapsible table. This officer took out a form, filled in what I was checking (gun, 2 full mags, and a chamber round) and had me write my name, address, the date, and sign it. They had me place it all in a locker, locked it up, and handed me the receipt. They then had me go through the metal detector, sans weaponry, and wanded me because I forgot to take off my watch. I went on my merry way.
    [snip]
    When I left, they had me re-write and re-sign the paperwork to make sure I was the same guy that came in, and unlocked the locker. I asked if they were OK with me racking it there as opposed to outside, and they agreed as long as I kindof did it in the corner. I accidentally pointed it at one of the officers for a second as I was chambering (don't worry, I made sure the safety was on), but it's difficult not to point it at someone when you're basically surrounded by people. He said, "Don't point that thing at me!" with a grin on his face, so no harm, no foul this time.
    Did they have a proper clearing station, or at least a sand bucket? Otherwise, it should not be being cleared OR RE-CHAMBERED in that kind of environment. That is exactly the kind of thing that leads to an ND and if you "accidentally point[ed] it at one of the officers for a second as I was chambering", maybe killing/injuring someone.

[snip]
    I specifically made a side-trip down to the sheriff's office to tell the Acting Sheriff's assistant that they did a wonderful job upstairs on my way in - very professional, entirely courteous, and exactly by the book with pretty much no hiccups of any kind. I asked her to pass the message on to the acting sheriff with my regards and thanks.
    [snip]
    That can go a long way toward future good experiences for everyone. Thanks.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Delaware County)

Default Re: "Montgomery County Courthouse - this is about as good as it gets" - Well, Yes & N

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    Obligatory "it a LICENSE TO CARRY FIREARMS not a permit" for the terminology police.

[snip]

Did they have a proper clearing station, or at least a sand bucket? Otherwise, it should not be being cleared OR RE-CHAMBERED in that kind of environment. That is exactly the kind of thing that leads to an ND and if you "accidentally point[ed] it at one of the officers for a second as I was chambering", maybe killing/injuring someone.

That can go a long way toward future good experiences for everyone. Thanks.
    That's why, after he said permit, I said license. I was hoping I could subtly correct him without being a douche, but I somehow doubt he caught on.

No clearing station or sand bucket or anything. Just a blank concrete wall by a window with an air conditioner, behind the guard's respective desk areas and XRay machine. Thanks for the tip, though - next time I will make sure to politely ask where the clearing station is.

I really want to help people to understand that we're not crazies. Well, most of us aren't, anyway.
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: "Montgomery County Courthouse - this is about as good as it gets" - Well, Yes & N

I'm a crazy, fyi

(Montgomery County)

That's why, after he said permit, I said license. I was hoping I could subtly correct him without being a douche, but I somehow doubt he caught on.

No clearing station or sand bucket or anything. Just a blank concrete wall by a window with an air conditioner, behind the guard's respective desk areas and XRay machine. Thanks for the tip, though - next time I will make sure to politely ask where the clearing station is.

I really want to help people to understand that we're not crazies. Well, most of us aren't, anyway.
    No clearing station/bucket = Lock it up loaded. They are asking for a problem. No excuse: a "Homer paint bucket" and a bag of sand at Home Depot is < $10.

Good ambassadorship is a good thing.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    I'm a crazy, fyi
    I'd be careful admitting to that... remember...they are "monitoring you on the email"

(Northampton County)

LOL, they were going to let you take it into the courtroom? That's classic

And then you pointed at the deputy while chambering. They should hire you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast