Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Attic Find"

(Centre County)

Default Re: "Attic Find"

Light oil or Weapon Shield with 0000 steel wool will take off the rust without hurting the bluing. You just rub them very lightly. Then clean the bore and see what it looks like. If no major pitting or rust then you should be good to go. I don't think you'll have any problems with the Model 95, it is probably a full choke barrel and the barrel is "modern" steel vs. damascus so modern loads will be ok, I'd just use low brass to start.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Hunted squirrels/turkey with a mossberg 640 22mag. Great rifle. Only drawback was the action (bolt handle, etc.) was so far forward you couldn't properly mount a scope and get the correct eye relief, so you had to crane your neck to shoot it. But it shoot very well.

Hokkmike Guest

Love the .30-30!!!

(York County)

That Winchester model 94 is beautiful.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    i found these in my grandfathers attic the other day and hes just said he had no use for them so here ya go. I dont know anything about them so thought id post them and see if anyone sees anything interesting about them, ive never heard of some of the companies. I have more pics if anyone wants to see

Top to Bottom

Savage Arms Stevens model 95 12 gauge

Harrington and Richardson Arms Co. 12 gauge?

The Hamilton Rifle 22cal

Winchester model 94 Classic 30-30

Mossberg 640KC Chuckster 22 magnum (wasnt aware Moss made rifles)

I'm with Jah on this one I hate you!!!!!!!

Yes shoot them for G*D sake,

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: "Attic Find"

If you are going to shoot them and keep them clean/covered, I wouldn't wory about the rust. If you clean them as you normally would any firearm, giving the outside a light coat of oil to keep the finger prints at bay, the rust won't get worse, and it definitely won't affect how they shoot.

Trying to get that rust off may further damage the finish and furniture. They aren't high value items in that rust removal and investing time and money into them won't give you any kind of return on investment.

If I were you, I'd clean them up and shoot them and leave the existing rust alone 'cept for giving it a good coat of oil from time to time.

I have several old shooters from my grandfathers collection and access to more, and we don't let the rust get in the way of enjoying them.

Keep the stored in a clean dry environment, keep them cleaned and oiled and they'll last 10 more lifetimes.
    "Send Lawyers, Guns and Money, the shit has hit the fan." - W. Zevon

(Elk County)

The Mossberg 640 Chuckster that I own is a one-hole gun at 100 yds off the bench, using the old Lyman 4X All American that came on it. Cover the group with a dime on my good days, nickel on my bad days. My only issue with it: The location of the bolt handle. You need "ape arms" to work the bolt from the shoulder.

Mossberg was noted for their 22LR and 22 Magnum rifles from the 1930s to the late 1980s when the company decided to exit the rifle market and concentrate on shotguns. The guns were simple, rugged, dependable, and accurate. Mossberg's slogan was "More gun for the money" and never truer words have been spoken.

I see Chucksters priced from $175 to $350 depending on condition and degree of either wishful thinking or avarice on the part of the seller. I bought mine for $175 including a MINT Lyman 4X, and I thought that was a steal. You could not pry my 640K from me for $375.

Clean 'em, shoot 'em, keep 'em, cherish 'em, and pass 'em on to the next generation in your family, Mike.

Noah

(Lehigh County)

Is that Hamilton a model 27 if so I hate you too lol just kidding. Do not shoot modern .22 out of her stick to CB caps. The barrel is brass wrapped in lead wrapped in sheet metal its built like a BB gun. Me and my dad are working on restoring his grandfathers Hamilton parts are very very very very hard to find so treat her gentle. We have been searching for parts for years and still have not found everything I would love to own another one lol wink wink
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Lehigh County)

Sorry one more post out of me on the Hamilton back in the day certain magazines would have adds for soap and lotion companies and other stuff if you sold enough of their product they would ship you your very own Hamilton rifle for free!!! They sold for like a buck or two back then too if you decided to just buy one.
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

(Philadelphia County)

I am with the majority: that Winchester is beautiful and I hate you, too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast