Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default DC (Gun Ban) Appealed to Supreme Court

Guys, I'm really surprised that this case isn't getting more attention. This is huge.

If the court takes the case it will be the first time in 70 years a 2nd amendment case has been heard. The last one in 1939...

The case revolves around the Appeals Court (not sure of the number, but it handles DC) heard an appeal by law abiding citizens who broke the law by having firearms in the city. One is a cop (retired???). They lost the case in the local courts. They appealed to the federal courts and won. Now the city is going to petition the Supreme Court.

One way or another this will have nationwide ramifications.

More info in the link:

"The District of Columbia has too many handguns," Fenty said. "Putting more handguns, even quote-unquote legal ones, into the quote-unquote law-abiding citizens could get into the hands of people who are going to use them in the commission of crimes."
    Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: DC (Gun Ban) Appealed to Supreme Court

I think one of the key things to remember about this case is that it is the second time in history that a court (The Appelate court that ruled on this case last) ruled that the Second Amendment is an INDIVIDUAL right (which it is), not a COLLECTIVE right.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

I doubt SCOTUS will hear the case. They would not see any precedent that needed to be established. The Appeals court prohibited an outright ban on handgun gun ownership. A Federal Court in CA did the same thing to San Francisco's handgun law last year. I suspect they will pass and let the appeals court decision stand.

(Berks County)

lets not get too happy ppl

Last few gun cases that came in front of the court they did NOT have the second amendment as an individual right....

if stare decisis rears its ugly head the DC ban might just become a NATIONAL ban.

and yes I am paranoid tyvm.

(Philadelphia County)

People, like myself, in Philadelphia really need to pay attention to this, as this could lay the floorplan for the anti's here to do what they already want to do!!!

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    I doubt SCOTUS will hear the case. They would not see any precedent that needed to be established. The Appeals court prohibited an outright ban on handgun gun ownership. A Federal Court in CA did the same thing to San Francisco's handgun law last year. I suspect they will pass and let the appeals court decision stand.
    If they pass and allow the lesser court's ruling to stand-they in effect are affirming the ruling that it is a individual right.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If they pass and allow the lesser court's ruling to stand-they in effect are affirming the ruling that it is a individual right.
    Thats exactly what I believe is going to happen. They'll look at the previous ruling and deny the request. SCOTUS has been taking fewer cases over the years and i doubt they'll waste time on something that has already been ruled upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Philadelphia County)

i have a conceal carry permit in Philadelphia and I'm following this case very closely. the Philly politicians would love to get control of the states gun laws and really stick it to the law bidding gun owners in this city