Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Is the Glock Inherently Unsafe?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Is the Glock Inherently Unsafe?

Nope. As the article states... The biggest safety problem inherent to any Glock is the Glock user.

Good read.

Glocks are no more dangerous than any other gun out there as long as the golden rules are followed:

1. Keep your damn finger off the trigger unless you intend to shoot

2. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times

3. Always make sure to check and double check there is no round in the chamber before cleaning or disassembling

It ain't rocket science kids, it's common sense, something that a good portion of the new 'nanny state' feels is a human trait they don't seem to need any more.

Hokkmike Guest

Thanks for sharing the interesting article. the two points that caught my attention are:

1. Glocks are "relatively" inexpensive. That has not been my observation.

2. Glocks are more prone to "kaboom". From the context it means, I take it, to blow up in the hand. With what frequency does this occur? Is it a design related problem? (the article leads you that way) Is Glock the "Toyota" of handguns?

My Walther PPS .40 has a similar design to the Glock - and it is pricey as well. No positive safety, no decocker. My opinion is that it is not unsafe but also that it is not a gun for a beginner.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Nope. As the article states... The biggest safety problem inherent to any Glock is the Glock user.

Good read.
    Indeed, this. A Glock, IMHO, has the ease of use of a revolver combined with the capacity & functionality of a semiauto. In exchange for this, it gives up the 'safety' of your typical semiauto.

A bad combo for an idiot, a fine one for someone who has knowledge of & respect for the firearm.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Lackawanna County)

is it that time of year again? this subject seems to be an annual thing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    1. Glocks are "relatively" inexpensive. That has not been my observation.
    relative to 1911s, SIGS, XDs, M&Ps, etc. they are generally less expensive.

whether they are "expensive" or "inexpensive" on an absolute level depends, i suppose, on how wealthy one is. to me, $400 to $500 is not cheap. but it is still less expensive than what i would pay for most glock competitors--which makes it *relatively* inexpensive.

2. Glocks are more prone to "kaboom". From the context it means, I take it, to blow up in the hand. With what frequency does this occur? Is it a design related problem? (the article leads you that way) Is Glock the "Toyota" of handguns?
    yes, that means blow up in your hand. you seem to hear about more glock KBs than with other types of guns. this does not necessarily means glocks KB at a higher rate than other guns, though. there are *a lot* of glocks out there, so you would expect more KBs in absolute terms than with less widely owned guns. further, anytime one does KB, a bunch of glock haters make sure to post the story/pics all over the internet.

KBs generally are directly caused by ammo issues (weak case/too much powder/too high pressure). however, glocks do have a not fully supported chamber. this means a little bit of the brass at the "back" and "bottom" (relative to being in the chamber) is not supported by the chamber. if the case is too weak or the round has been loaded too hot, the case cannot, without the support of the chamber, contain the explosion (of the gun powder when the round is fired) and the gun KBs.

this is *not*, however, a design flaw. it is a feature. it helps glocks reliably feed just about any ammo you put in them. and, as long as the ammo is within spec, it does not cause a problem.

a fully supported chamber would make glocks more tolerant of out of spec ammo, but would also make them feed less reliably.

imho, glocks (especially the 17 and 19) are, in fact, the toyota of handguns. er, well, the old toyota of handguns...toyota seems to be having some issues lately. not sure if toyota is even still the toyota of vehicles any longer.
    F*S=k

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mumit View Post
    has knowledge of & respect for the firearm.
    If I knew how to rep. I'd rep ya.

I am pretty new here, and I am a new first time pistol owner also. I have been carrying mine for about a month and a half. I made myself familiar with my guns controls before I ever touched it.

I don't have a Glock, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one. It is the gun owners ultimate responsibility to have "knowledge", and "RESPECT" for thier weapon of choice. When I handle my pistol, I am absolutely focused on what I am doing....thier is no room for error.....PERIOD!

If somebody shoots thier nut sack off or god forbid shoots someone else, I think chances are pretty close to 100% that it was from thier own negligence. NOT the "guns fault"!

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

However, glocks do have a not fully supported chamber. this means a little bit of the brass at the "back" and "bottom" (relative to being in the chamber) is not supported by the chamber. if the case is too weak or the round has been loaded too hot, the case cannot, without the support of the chamber, contain the explosion (of the gun powder when the round is fired) and the gun KBs.

imho, glocks (especially the 17 and 19) are, in fact, the toyota of handguns. er, well, the old toyota of handguns...toyota seems to be having some issues lately. not sure if toyota is even still the toyota of vehicles any longer.
    I believe my PPS does have a full supported chamber. An interesting sidenote, there are 36 pages of Glocks for sale on GB.

(Monroe County)

it has a "trigger" that if it gets touched, shit goes KABOOM! i demand a recall on this product, it is highly unsafe
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast