Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Mosin modders in here.

I'm considering changing out the front site on my mosin. While I know that many of you prefer to leave these guns original, I am enjoying "personalizing" my first rifle. ATM makes a pretty dandy front site that attaches with 2 set screws.
    http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOI0400

Directions indicate that I need to remove the front base to install this. Has anybody used something like this without removing the front base? I see on 7.62X54R.net how to "drift" off the top of the front site. It says that the base is "staked" on. How would I remove the staked base, and do you think that would be necessary for the new front site? If major gunsmithing is required to remove the front base, I will probably just leave it alone.

-Thanks

(Washington County)

Default Re: Mosin modders in here.

I think that front sight post is for those who are shortening barrels, which is sometimes done when sportsterizing.

I would ask one thing... why put that chunk of ugly plastic on your rifle? The stock one is held there a lot better than 2 screws ever will, without drilling and tapping.

(I dont mind modifications of almost any rifle... but this one boggles my mind).

After posting to this thread, I have discovered Mojo sights. I think I will be installing Mojo irons (which utilize the factory base) instead of the previously mentioned front sight.

I don't know about you, but my brother's mosin shot a little high and to the right when he got it, so we just put some of the electrical wring shrink-wrap stuff over the front sight and cut it down and drifted the sight until it shot POA.

Might be worth looking into if you want to save some money.

(Erie County)

Usually if they shoot high right its because they are sighted in with the bayonet on and without it, thats where they shoot.

(Lycoming County)

one problem i have ran into with the mosins is how you can't change the front sight for elevation. i have considered trying to modify them to accept an ak or sks style front sight pin as they are adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by idpasharpshooter View Post
    one problem i have ran into with the mosins is how you can't change the front sight for elevation. i have considered trying to modify them to accept an ak or sks style front sight pin as they are adjustable.
    If you have some free time, this is a guide to make that front sight adjustable:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ight/index.asp

Otherwise, the heat-shrink tube method I mentioned above works pretty well for those that don't want to do any permanent modifications.
    ETA: This method is mentioned at the bottom of the how-to article linked to above.
    Last edited by jokusfocus; April 4th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.