Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: moving guns to PA

Shhh...big brother is listening!

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

Hey bud,

I moved here from California over a year ago and transported my guns with me in the truck.

PA HAS NO REGISTRATION. Just bring em in.

The thing your friend needs to be careful of is which states he transports THROUGH. The Federal protections concerneing ransportation of firearms stop once you get off the Interstate.

Someone: Wasn't Maryland known for arresting people if they pulled of and had guns that weren't legal for MD?

Just tell him not to pee until gets to Pennsylvania
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Centre County)

I believe that the Federal regs cover someone moving from one state to another no matter what route you take. Here is what the reg says:

27 CFR Chapter II Part 478.38:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

A synonym for "Notwithstanding " is "Despite". This tells me that no state can tell you that you cannot transport your legal firearms through their state while moving your domicile to a new location.

That being said, if the place you are moving TO has laws pertaining to your firearms, you are obligated to meet these laws or the laws of the local you are moving to.

In the case of PA, if you can legally own the firearms you can legally bring them into the state without doing any kind of paperwork.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Adams County)

Thanks a bunch gentlemen.. I think I will move them up and drive the speed limit..

Thanks
    Mike

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McQ View Post
    Thanks a bunch gentlemen.. I think I will move them up and drive the speed limit..

Thanks
    Mike
    You'll draw too much attention to yourself if you drive the speed limit.

Just kidding. Check your lights and turn signals before you hit the road too.
    Keep it legal and good luck.

(Beaver County)

Since this thread is many years old, I was curious if anything has changed? Can I simply bring my firearms from NY to PA? As for handguns, I have a LTCF from center county as a non-resident. If I read correctly, I must wait 90 days after moving to PA to get my resident LTCF card, yes? Do I have to take any instruction classes? I will be in either Allegheny, beaver, or Washington counties.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    Since this thread is many years old, I was curious if anything has changed? Can I simply bring my firearms from NY to PA? As for handguns, I have a LTCF from center county as a non-resident. If I read correctly, I must wait 90 days after moving to PA to get my resident LTCF card, yes? Do I have to take any instruction classes? I will be in either Allegheny, beaver, or Washington counties.

Thanks
    Bring one, bring all. Nothing has changed. Not so sure about 90 days. You need to prove residency, which only requires a DL or other state/county issued ID. AFAIK you can get your DL as soon as you can get your documents together then apply for your LTCF. No training of other BS. Just $20, simple one page form, standard background check, and a valid ID.
    https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...Residents.aspx

(Centre County)

As God's Country said, all you need to get your LTCF from the county where you are going to reside is a valid PA drivers license or ID. Head to the county sheriffs office and fill out the application, pay your money and get your picture taken and in most cases walk out with your new license. Nothing else to do (training, etc. unless you want to).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Bring one, bring all. Nothing has changed. Not so sure about 90 days. You need to prove residency, which only requires a DL or other state/county issued ID. AFAIK you can get your DL as soon as you can get your documents together then apply for your LTCF. No training of other BS. Just $20, simple one page form, standard background check, and a valid ID.
    https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...Residents.aspx
    Yep. Nothing to do, except get your DL. Then get your LTCF. Check your county sheriff website about how they want payment. And whether you need references. None required in Erie County (now).

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    As God's Country said, all you need to get your LTCF from the county where you are going to reside is a valid PA drivers license or ID. Head to the county sheriffs office and fill out the application, pay your money and get your picture taken and in most cases walk out with your new license. Nothing else to do (training, etc. unless you want to).
    He already has his PA LTCF issued in Centre County. Why would he need to get a new one before that one expires - same as when you change your address.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast