Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Berks County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Hmm. Interesting. Someone, somewhere, on one of the PAFOA threads was saying that the new Yugo underfolders are no longer being built on the RPK receivers. Being in possession of one, I immediately went in search to see if this was true. Sure enough, it is.

According to a poster on www.ak47.net, the model "M70AB2" is the one you want to get. It uses the RPK 1.6mm reinforced trunion receiver, and is built like a tank. The newer model is "M70AB2T," and it uses a standard slab side 1mm receiver.

That being said, most AKs are built on a 1mm receiver. I have the M70AB2T and it runs just fine. But, I'd RATHER have the 1.6.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375 - Surplus City (Or, Topic Change to CMP and Plans for the Roadt

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Hmm. Interesting. Someone, somewhere, on one of the PAFOA threads was saying that the new Yugo underfolders are no longer being built on the RPK receivers. Being in possession of one, I immediately went in search to see if this was true. Sure enough, it is.

According to a poster on www.ak47.net, the model "M70AB2" is the one you want to get. It uses the RPK 1.6mm reinforced trunion receiver, and is built like a tank. The newer model is "M70AB2T," and it uses a standard slab side 1mm receiver.

That being said, most AKs are built on a 1mm receiver. I have the M70AB2T and it runs just fine. But, I'd RATHER have the 1.6.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I no longer see the appeal to the Yugos without a thicker receiver.

They lack a chrome lined barrel, have handguards that are rather proprietary and if they are build on the same or similar receiver as a WASR and are still charging a premium, I no longer see the "value" in it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I no longer see the appeal to the Yugos without a thicker receiver.

They lack a chrome lined barrel, have handguards that are rather proprietary and if they are build on the same or similar receiver as a WASR and are still charging a premium, I no longer see the "value" in it.
    I absolutely agree. CAI did themselves a disservice with this one, taking a known and sought-after quality product and deliberately making it inferior, while maintaining a high price. Yet one more reason to avoid CAI kits.

And no worries about the thread hijack, I hijacked it myself a long time ago.

Default Re: $375 Garands, to CMP, to PSLs, to Yugo AKs. ADD Hijack Warning

Another Hijacker here...

I guess those of us with the original B1 & B2's are Lucky, In the end they will end up being worth a little more as CAI just made them more desirable.

I Guess CAI wouldn't be CAI without screwing up everything they touch.

As for the Garands..I'd stick with CMP - at least there, you know what you are getting.

TJ
    Recoil Happens

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Ok, I just got home from Surplus City. The manager says they're not South Korean, but South or Central American. I can't speak for certain to this, but on one I looked at, it looked like Asian writing engraved into the receiver. This was the only one with this engraving. They're not bad, I suppose. They definitely need some TLC. As it is, I'm going to go the CMP route.

Good choice. Thanks for the report on the Garands at SC.

Noah

but South or Central American.

ehh......

They're not bad, I suppose.
    If possible I'd ask to be able to disassemble the rifle before I bought one.

Unless I missed it:

Take the Op-rod and slowly roll it across a flat surface like a table and see if it's warped/crooked. Look at the end of it. If it looks like Jeffery Dahmer chewed on it pick up another one.

Check the gas plug/screw and the immediate area and see if theres any cracks/warpage excessive wear to the metal. Most important -cracks.

See if theres any evidence of Welding in the slot where the charging handle/oprod assembly rides particullary in the rear and at the same length where the chamber is.

Inspect the rear lugs on the receiver for newer welds and/or cracks

From experience I know that quite a few places when the barrel wore out or blew up they slapped the old gas systems back on the new barrel without any real QC other than the headspace. BTDT.

one more thing. check out the FCG bottom plate for welds as well , should look like toothpaste smeared on the inside.
    Last edited by Stooperzero; March 4th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    ehh......

Take the Op-rod and slowly roll it across a flat surface like a table and see if it's warped/crooked.
    FYI,
    Op rods are crooked by design... If you have one thats straight, then there is something wrong.

Toujours prêt

does surplus city have any colt le trade-ins on the rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    FYI,
    Op rods are crooked by design... If you have one thats straight, then there is something wrong.

You know what I mean.

I ordered one from sportsmansguide a few years back and it looked like a shark bit it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    FYI,

More inportantly check to see if the op rod has the relief cut at the junction, if not replace it with a modified unit.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567