Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: long guns

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs down long guns

I don't understand how rifles and shotguns are sold between individuals. If it transferred through a FFL is there a background check done on the purchaser?
    thanks

Thumbs up Re: long guns

FTF sales of long guns are legal and require no background checks, if you do it at a FFL, they will run a background check on the buyer.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: long guns

It think it might be easier to put a list together of all the situations where background checks are not required.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mdervish View Post
    I don't understand how rifles and shotguns are sold between individuals. If it transferred through a FFL is there a background check done on the purchaser?
    thanks
    There isn't one required.

Hopefully you can be a good judge of character but that is about all that is required. Some people ask to see their LTCF, others ask for their drivers liscense.

(Jefferson County)

Any transfer through a FFL is actually a transfer from a FFL just like buying a gun from the dealer. For the FFL to act as a middle man he must add the gun to his bound book, thereby becoming owner of it. For that gun to go to the actual transferee a 4473 and a background check must be performed. This just isn't PA's law, but rather it is US law governing commercial transfers.

PA doesn't require long guns to go through a FFL for F2F transfers. US law requires an FFL to be involved with any interstate transfer, so you end up needing to do the 4473 and background check. This 4473 procedure has been the law since 1968, the background check has only been law since the late '90s.

For private sales of long guns in PA, both are PA residents - either of the following are legal procedures:
    1. the buyer hands the seller the cash, the seller hands the buyer the long gun.
    2. the buyer mails/wires financial funds to the seller, the seller ships or mails the long gun to the buyer's doorstep.

No FFL is needed..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Sorry this is a little off topic but related. Why do PA residents get so uptight when selling long guns. FTF is legal and you are under no obligation to make or keep records (bill of sale). Why support the anti nutjobs by doing so.
    If someone was going to do something illegal with it they would steal one first. I know in OH it is legal to privately sell handguns or rifles FTF. It seems the only qualification out there is the right amount of cash in hand. My OH relatives all think I am crazy for having to FFL transfer handguns when buying or selling.
    I am considering a move out there in the near future.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    Sorry this is a little off topic but related. Why do PA residents get so uptight when selling long guns. FTF is legal and you are under no obligation to make or keep records (bill of sale). Why support the anti nutjobs by doing so.
    If someone was going to do something illegal with it they would steal one first. I know in OH it is legal to privately sell handguns or rifles FTF. It seems the only qualification out there is the right amount of cash in hand. My OH relatives all think I am crazy for having to FFL transfer handguns when buying or selling.
    Its because many folks here in PA have been falsely mentally conditioned due to the requirement that handgun transfers be recorded. Also, the influx of folks from neighboring liberal states where every aspect of life is regulated doesn't help either. ...that mindset tends to pollute the clearer waters of PA thinking with the murky sludge of NY, NJ, and MD.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Its because many folks here in PA have been falsely mentally conditioned due to the requirement that handgun transfers be recorded. Also, the influx of folks from neighboring liberal states where every aspect of life is regulated doesn't help either. ...that mindset tends to pollute the clearer waters of PA thinking with the murky sludge of NY, NJ, and MD.
    ^ This.

I like the BOS theory because 1.) It gives me some records to follow in years to come... how much I sold it for in what year, etc... 2.) It releases liability for older weapons when you state they are buying "as is".. so when they shove a 16ga shell into a 12ga and blow the gun apart, and blame you for not telling them, you can say they assumed all liability when buying said weapon. 3.) It's just nice to have a record of your transactions.

I really don't see how it is supporting the anti-nutjobs though? Selling a gun to another owner definitely is not supporting the anti's...

Some people don't do it, some do. Doesn't really matter... all personal preference.
    III%

(Warren County)

BOS is also a CYA document for buyer and seller.

If the gun is hot / maybe used in a crime before coming on the market, a BOS will keep you outta the pokey , hopefully.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Centre County)

Sorry this is a little off topic but related. Why do PA residents get so uptight when selling long guns.
    I wonder the same thing myself.

I almost bought a rifle from someone on this forum until they said I had to get it transferred through an FFL. I immediately changed my mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast