Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Any tips for staining my wood stocks.

Was going to stain my forend and stock of my 870 a dark black. Kind of thought a dark black wood would be different. Any tips or things I need to know before I go hog wild on it.

Will any wood stain work, or should I use a specific type of stain that you get at a gun shop?

Then I plan on cutting my own barrel down and voila. I have a Zombie Gun I made myself.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Centre County)

Default Re: Any tips for staining my wood stocks.

Make sure everything (grease, oil, poly, etc.) is off the stock. Then go to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and get some Min-Wax stain. You should be able to find ebony. Try it on a small section on the inside of of the forearm first to see if you like the color (the more applications the darker it will get). Then if you're happy do the outside. After if dries, finish it with whatever you want (poly, linseed oil, tung oil, etc.).

There are other liquids that will turn wood black, but IIRC some are really nasty and are bad health hazards if not used properly. I would stay with a commercial wood stain.

To get the finish/oils/grease out of the checkering, use a small stiff nylon or brass brush to work the solvent in and around the checkering and then rinse it off and let it dry, or if using a towel, use one that won't leave a bunch of lint.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

I just used to burn mine with a propane torch until it was black. ...including any old finish that was on it. Then scrub it down with steel wool to get rid of the fuzzies and crap, then a moist rag to get excess carbon off. ..then repeat a few more times until it was effectively burnt black/charcoal colored. ...just crispy'd the surface without actually catching it on fire.

My old beat up Marlin 60 was given that treatment.. It was beyond refinishing, so I just burnt it black. Its ugly as sin, but it beats the old messed up finish that was on there.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Some hardwoods used on firearms almost REFUSE to take stain.
    Use rubbing alcohol to open the grain first, before staining.
    You may want to sand with 400 wet sand paper after that ( the first wetting of alcohol), as the grain will "whisker". Then use some more rubbing alcohol. This may need to be done 3-4 times before it stops "whiskering". It takes about 10-15 minutes for each coat of alcohol to dry completely before sanding.
    Next, use a good stain, like Min-wax. Ebony will stain almost black.
    You will not want to wipe the stain off agin, as it may take off too much. Like I said, some woods almost REFUSE to take the stain. If you wood does this, stain it, leaving the stain on to dry, and SPRAY on the finish sealer, like varnish, polyeurothane, etc. After a couple of nice coats to seal the wood and the stain, LIGHTLY sand with 400 wet or even 600 wet or dry paper, being careful not to sand back to the stain, Re-spray until you get the amount of coats you wish. Remember, several light coats is better than one heavy coat of finish. Let the finish dry between coats. Use Johnsons paste wax to do the very final finish after it has driesd a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Make sure everything (grease, oil, poly, etc.) is off the stock. Then go to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and get some Min-Wax stain. You should be able to find ebony. Try it on a small section on the inside of of the forearm first to see if you like the color (the more applications the darker it will get). Then if you're happy do the outside. After if dries, finish it with whatever you want (poly, linseed oil, tung oil, etc.).

There are other liquids that will turn wood black, but IIRC some are really nasty and are bad health hazards if not used properly. I would stay with a commercial wood stain.

To get the finish/oils/grease out of the checkering, use a small stiff nylon or brass brush to work the solvent in and around the checkering and then rinse it off and let it dry, or if using a towel, use one that won't leave a bunch of lint.
    heres the color you are talking about. palm sander (forget the grit #) one coat of stain, two coats spray poly. (this is on pine)
    FJB

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the tips. Now to get started. Once the stocks are done, I'm putting the magazine extension I want on it, and cutting the barrel off just above it. Then I think a flourecent front sight will go on the barrel rib.

This should be interesting. Never tried this before.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lebanon County)

If you don't see a shade you like in Min-Wax or if your local wood stuff store doesn't handle Min-Wax you might find that Watco dark walnut or black walnut will be suitable. You should be able to find Min-Wax, but if not the Watco is a good oil based stain that's easy to work with and isn't obnoxious smelling.
    I'd like to be able to offer more help but those are the only 2 stains that I've worked with that I'd recommend.

(BTW, thank you for the cinnamon sippin' whiskey recipe! I've made a few batches of it. That is some seriously good stuff!!!)

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Erie County)

If you want it black', Just paint it! This is Rustolieum Texture.
    Mod Santa Fe,Golden State Arms 303 Brit.jpg