Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIA

(Cumberland County)

Default RIA

I know there has been a few threads on Rock Island Armory, but just a question to anyone that is familiar with them - would you trust your life with it as a carry weapon ???? I want another 45, and I will probably just save a few more bucks and get a nice Kimber or Colt - but at $ 375 new for a Rock Island Armory Compact - I am having trouble resisting. But when I do carry, I obviously want to trust the weapon !! It wouldn't be my primary carry, but I want to be sure even if I only carry it sometime

(Bucks County)

Default Re: RIA

I have read nothing but good things about them. Thinking of picking one up myself. Lots of info here: http://forum.m1911.org/

(Centre County)

My understanding is that RIA - Which is made by Armscore of Phillipine - is much more close to original GI issued 1911 from WWII era. Because Phillipine was an Allie during WWII, US gave them whole bunch of surplus arms, including 1911's. Phillipino millitaly, then issued 1911's to their solders. Obviously, somewhere along the way they started to manufacture their own 1911's to replace worn or dmg'ed weapon. And Armscore is contracted to do so. And armscore 1911 is much more closeer to original GI spec then any other 1911's is what I was told.
    Now, I'm not sure of your prospective, but original GI issued 1911 was good enough to surve our boys for the past 100 years almost, and faithful copy of that gun sure sounds like good enough to trust my life with.

Just heads up on kimber - one slipup with reassembry, Kimber can/have become inoperable(due to shwaltz safety).
    Simple series 70 is the way to go IMO for carry gun.
    Now, I myself will likely never going to buy RIA, becuase my 1911's are mostly a range gun, and I like to have all the upgrade(grip safety, commander hammer, etc... But not because I think they are undependable

EDIT - After looking some example of what people do with their RIA, I may consider buying officer model as good base for some simple build.
    Look at few examples of RIA and some small budget and imagination can do that I found...

Last edited by Mity2; March 1st, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

I have two, both function flawlessly, and yes I would trust my life with them. I have several different carry guns, depending on what I'm doing, how I'll be dressed, summer or winter, etc. and they are in the carry rotation along with some revolvers and other semi-autos.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all, and nice pics mity2 ! I'm almost sold on it - if I can't find a Springfield Champion or micro for $500-$550, think I'm going to go for the RIA !

(Philadelphia County)

My Rock Island 1911A1 (GI model) was my first 1911.
    I wasn't expecting much when I bought it due to the price, but it has been flawless.

Have approximately 1,000 rounds through it and has been ultra reliable (with the exception of ammo and mag related issues).

I cannot vouch for commander or compact sized Rock Islands (or 1911's in general) but have heard it takes alot more to keep a non 5" going.

If the smaller sized RIA's run as good as their 5" Government, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

Understand that the standard USGI sights are hard to pick up and the standard hammer and grip safety can give you nasty hammer bite.

If I wasn't keeping my Rock Island as a "plain jane" GI model, those would be the first 2 things I would change.

Enjoy the world of the 1911.
    They sure are addicting.
    Last edited by he11zna; March 2nd, 2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Goverment has an "N"!!!

(Centre County)

Here's a follow up to my first post.

Here is the RIA Gov't Model (Before)

Here it is (After)

Here are my 1911's (Top-RIA Gov't modified, Middle-RIA Tactical, Bottom-Taurus)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Bought my RIA fullsize "tactical" in May of 07. 95% of the time it is the gun that is on my right hip. I've got somewhere around 2000 rounds through it My only problem was the slide stop would occasionally catch on a bullet as it was feeding from the magazine. 5 minutes with a file fixed that.

My wife bought one shortly after that. Her's had a few malfunctions, a new guide rod and some time with a dremel and a felt bob took care of that.

I could have sent either of these guns back to Ivan and the boys and had them fixed free of charge, but I'm a DIY'er.

mine: (2 drops of WS goes a long way)

Hers:

I've been considering purchasing a compact or two as well.

Nice shootin Irons Gents! I have been looking at The RIA as well, you have made up my mind
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

thinking about selling my glock 19 to get one of these and use the extra cash to get it decked out....good idea? bad idea? glock much better and i would be wasting my money?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast