Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIA

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: RIA

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Thanks, I think so too. Making it a fun project gun. Gun cost me $ 390 total shipped new. So far I have added Raasco Applejack grips at $ 34, a Pearce slide-in finger groove $ 10, a wilson combat extended slide release for $ 11 from a guy on gunbroker, a wilson extended thumb safety $ 30 from Leesport gunshow today. I have some brushed stainless t-15 torx grip screws on the way, and then a 3 hole trigger and grip safety in the brushed stainless and I think I will be set for a while - lol. Here's original, then with the grips and grooves, then with the slide release and safety - took a little gunsmithing to get the safety and slide release to fit and I'm no gunsmith or carpenter, so I'm proud of myself And yes, everything works !!!
    Dayum! You should be proud! That is a great looking boomstick ya got there!

I wanna get on the RIA train now. I just bought a Kel Tec a few weeks ago, the girlfriend is gonna be pissed when I tell her I'm buying another gun! Oh well.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Dayum! You should be proud! That is a great looking boomstick ya got there!

I wanna get on the RIA train now. I just bought a Kel Tec a few weeks ago, the girlfriend is gonna be pissed when I tell her I'm buying another gun! Oh well.
    Ahhhh, buy the gf something nice to keep her happy and your all set - or do what I do, only tell the lady about every 3rd or 4th purchase
    I did some research on the RIA's before buying, and only the classic gun snob had anything bad to say, and then usually only that it was "made in the Philipines ! After getting it, I am amazed at the quality, fit and finish. It is my first gun with a parkerized finish, and the way RIA does it, it's very nice. My buddy also told me to oil the finish up on a parkerized gun and he was right - after oiling a bit, it is like glass - well, dull glass ! Couldn't be happier with gun, just want to replace the sights. If your ready for one, go to gunbroker and look for Bellshire Hardware in Nashville - Phil. He has compact, commader, full size - from the $ 390 delivered I paid for the compact to about $ 439 I think it was. He ships superfast ( two days from order to at my ffl ) and is a great guy - good luck

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Ahhhh, buy the gf something nice to keep her happy and your all set - or do what I do, only tell the lady about every 3rd or 4th purchase
    I did some research on the RIA's before buying, and only the classic gun snob had anything bad to say, and then usually only that it was "made in the Philipines ! After getting it, I am amazed at the quality, fit and finish. It is my first gun with a parkerized finish, and the way RIA does it, it's very nice. My buddy also told me to oil the finish up on a parkerized gun and he was right - after oiling a bit, it is like glass - well, dull glass ! Couldn't be happier with gun, just want to replace the sights. If your ready for one, go to gunbroker and look for Bellshire Hardware in Nashville - Phil. He has compact, commader, full size - from the $ 390 delivered I paid for the compact to about $ 439 I think it was. He ships superfast ( two days from order to at my ffl ) and is a great guy - good luck
    We'll see about that. Her birthday is 2 weeks after Valentines day, so she's been getting plenty of nice things.

You're in Mechanicsburg? I'm in New Cumberland, and Shiremanstown. If you ever wanna go to the range let me know.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    We'll see about that. Her birthday is 2 weeks after Valentines day, so she's been getting plenty of nice things.

You're in Mechanicsburg? I'm in New Cumberland, and Shiremanstown. If you ever wanna go to the range let me know.
    Sounds good - I belong to HH&A - will let you know ! Keep buying her things and you can keep getting toys

(Cumberland County)

Buddy of mine went to the Leesport Gunshow with me last week and loved my compact RIA so he's on board and ordering one from gunbroker where I got mine ! Got the new grip screws today and love them too- here's the latest addition
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I have two, both function flawlessly, and yes I would trust my life with them. I have several different carry guns, depending on what I'm doing, how I'll be dressed, summer or winter, etc. and they are in the carry rotation along with some revolvers and other semi-autos.
    That's my experience as well. My dad has one and I've taken it to the range and it's never given me a single problem. The bullets go where I want them and every time I pulled the trigger it sent another bullet downrange.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry one.

(Berks County)

I just got an RIA tactical about a week and a half ago. Already put about 100-150 rounds through it with no issues, magazine supplied with it worked like a charm, but the two cheap colt mags I bought along with it fail to lock the slide on the last shot, so I bought two more Novaks to take care of that. Today I just put twenty rounds of Winchester PDX-1 .45 cal 230 gr with no issues whatsoever. I know twenty rounds isn't definitive, but it still surprised me that the profile didn't affect feeding at all. All in all, I LOVE my RIA and would advise anyone wanting a 1911 without breaking the bank to get one too.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by whitefeather1911 View Post
    I just got an RIA tactical about a week and a half ago. Already put about 100-150 rounds through it with no issues, magazine supplied with it worked like a charm, but the two cheap colt mags I bought along with it fail to lock the slide on the last shot, so I bought two more Novaks to take care of that. Today I just put twenty rounds of Winchester PDX-1 .45 cal 230 gr with no issues whatsoever. I know twenty rounds isn't definitive, but it still surprised me that the profile didn't affect feeding at all. All in all, I LOVE my RIA and would advise anyone wanting a 1911 without breaking the bank to get one too.
    Nice - congrats ! Still love mine. Post some pics if you have a chance !

(Berks County)

Took a while to find the camera (I am no Ichiro Nagata, so quality and imagination go right out the window.) I found that the PDX ammo seemed to like getting stuck sometimes if I didn't pull the slide back with a lot of momentum, and then the bullets started being pounded back into the casing. So I bought some 230 (and 185) gr. Golden Sabers and these have not shown any issues. I just ordered some Houge grips for the RIA and am also saving up to get some Hi-Viz sights (down the road as the factory sights work just fine.) I also bought two more Novak mags as the gun only came with one and the cheap Colt mags I bought failed to lock the slide and took some tugging to get out.

On a sad note, the attachment...attacher thing keeps stating that there is a database error and I can't upload the pics....any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I checked the size and they are all within specs...

(Cumberland County)

I just tried to upload some pics for another thread and they failed too - so looks like it's the site not you ! I'm going to wait until tomorrow and try again, you might try then.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast