Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default suggestion--services section

Maybe like a services offered (for small businesses or tradesmen), and a service needed section. Lets say somebody wants a ceiling fan installed. They can go to the services offered section, and look for a local member who is an electrician. Or they could post in the service needed section, for someone to install a fan. Since this forum seems like a community, members could help out members. It would also help some people that are out of work, slow at work, laid off, ect. Just throwing it out there....

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: suggestion--services section

No replies to this suggestion yet, I'm surprised.
    I think it's a good idea, but I'm not a moderator. The guys have plenty to do already but this is something that I think could benefit a lot of members if done properly. Of course with 27,660 members you'll have 27,659 opinions of how it should be properly done.
    I have first hand (or should I say 27hand) experience with a professional helping a fellow PAFOA member. I thought I was going to have to replace one of my indoor plumbing fixtures but 27hand was gracious enough to tell me what to look for to fix my problem and saved me a lot of $$. I owe him a debt of gratitude. I know that's not exactly what tcc722 has in mind but it's very closely related. We have a very diverse group here and I know that there are members who would gladly trade services or professional advice to help each other out.
    Administrators & moderators, what do you think about this suggestion?
    I think it has merit and may generate more interest than expected.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Philadelphia County)

In my opinion this is another area where this just isn't the purpose of the forum.

We're a forum about gun ownership and that's what we try very hard to stick to.

We're not a swap meet, we're not a job board, we're not a camping board, we're not a computer help board, etc.

While I understand such things would have value because many users are interested in those things, it is out of the scope of what we are attempting to do and will simply continue to dilute our purpose.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Centre County)

You can also put your request/help needed/barter offer/etc. in the Lounge section. I've seen this type of stuff there before and the thread can be added to as people see fit. Just my 2 pennies.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You can also put your request/help needed/barter offer/etc. in the Lounge section. I've seen this type of stuff there before and the thread can be added to as people see fit. Just my 2 pennies.
    ^^^^^ I agree. You will get responses. Despite the restrictions, the forum members are willing to help each other. There have been numerous posts asking for help in computers, cars, etc.

(York County)

I do see it a lot in the lounge, and thats what made me think of suggesting a services section. But I understand how that really doesn't fit into a 'firearms' forum. It would also open the door for other non-firearms related sections people would want. Makes sense. Thanks for the reply though.