Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Non-plated bullets for .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    The last little piece of advice I'll give you (and all others that haven't) is to be sure to go to Missouri Bullets' website and hit thier "technical setion" and read what they have to say about "Hardness Optimized Bullets". See http://www.missouribullet.com/technical.php
    Be sure to check out the prices at missouribullet also. I've have great results with bullets and their shipping is fast. (Usually received within a few days of ordering.)

I have used a 200 SWC with a charge of Unique giving 950 fps for years in 45 ACP. A little more cleaning but lead is easier to remove than copper anyway. You will get more velocity with a lead bullet vs an equivalent weight and design jacketed bullets. saves a bit on powder.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I shot Bullseye for a number of years with a 215 gr Lachmiller SWC over 5.0 gr Bullseye, with good results.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Lawrence County)

Depends on your ventilation.....

I shot thousands of .40 and .45 lead rounds at an indoor range and never seemed to notice the smoke.........later, the visual distraction of the smoke (due to being able to attend to more visual inputs) and the coughing began to bother me....so I went exclusively plated.

Lycansonownoleadthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Can anyone confirm that cast bullets with Alox as a lube instead of the lube type that goes in the ring of the bullet will not smoke? I always thought it was the lead that smoked, but I had someone tell me the other day that its the thick luge thats in the groove.....
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Can anyone confirm that cast bullets with Alox as a lube instead of the lube type that goes in the ring of the bullet will not smoke? I always thought it was the lead that smoked, but I had someone tell me the other day that its the thick luge thats in the groove.....
    Yes an LLA lubed bullet will smoke some when shot Same with a traditional lube in the groove same with a jacketed bullet ,They all have some smoke some some more than others, It can depend on your operating pressure, the powder your using ect.IMO its the powder that causes more smoke than the projectile. But again yes LLA will smoke some.

Tim

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    "Smoke" is a combination-of-indgredients product, and it is dependent on a series of variables: powder choice, powder amount, heat and pressure of burning in the bore, bullet type, bullet-base shape, bullet material, bullet hardness, how well and how fast the bullet upsets to fill the bore, whether it s\is being fired in a revolver, melting point of the bullet material, cleanliness of the base of the bullet at loading, tye and amouont of the lube, shape, size and spacing of the grease-grooves, and probably a host of other things, maybe even whether it is being fired on Tuesday or not (but that may be open still for discussion),

There seems to be a bit of confusion here about which is which.

Aloz/beeswax 50/50 mixture and most waxy-types of lube are generally applied by pressure, forcing the lube into the lube grooves of the bullet in the same operation and die that resizes the bullet. The grooves on these bullets are clearly defined and the lube can be of different colors. Alox/beeswax is generally dark brown, graphite lubes are black, some of the commercial lubes are blue, red, green, orange, etc.

Then, there are other bullets cast to (barrel) groove size that do not generally have deep and clear gease grooves running around them. They are often "knurled' in a light crosshatched pattern, and they are lubricated with a molydenum disulfide or "moly" coating which dries on the bullet. They may often be referred to as 'tumble-lubed' bullets and they frequently present a slightly waxy or dusty appearance.

If you have a bullet that upsets properly to fill the grooves of the barrel, leading and smoking are reduced. Your lube is sensitive (amount of smoking) to the pressures and temperatures of the powder used and the cartridge configuration. Everything has tradeoffs to get less smoke, less leading, better accuracy, cleaner gun, more efficient powder burning, better velocities, greater accuracy, less deformation of the bulet, and on and on....

Each type and make of lube has its adherents, and the claims vary. In my experience, I have settled on the time-tested Alox/beeswax as the best compromise all-around, for all my shooting needs. I see only miniscule advantages in using some other lubes, and **FOR ME**, the percieved gains are not worth the labor and effort to change-over for this bullet and back for that.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12