Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default 22LR Target Pistol

I've been reading some great posts on PAFOA about pistols and have done a LOT of outside reading research about my next purchase. I am an average pistol shooter and want to get better - so I figured the best way would be a decent 22LR pistol for cheap plinking and target practice. I have read many BLOGs, stopped by a number of local stores and have come up with the following choices, each with their own pros/cons. I was planning on the $200-300 range and want an accurate pistol worth the investment.

Ruger MKIII - Obviously well established in the market and a great reputation but the most expensive I have looked at ($300-400+). Downside price and have heard assembly/dissasembly tricky.

Berretta NEOS - Easy to use maintain. Accuracy? Very different look and feel than Ruger - Found one used for $200 but that sold from the local shop before I could post this - so most I see new are about $300

Smith&Wesson 22A - Saw a really nice one at the outdoor show this weekend. Easy mounting of optics/upgrades - New $223

Chiappa 1911-22 - I have read a lot about this recently. Was not familiar with the company before but have read it is a decent gun. New $259

Any insights would be great.

(Centre County)

Default Re: 22LR Target Pistol

Well, I'm partial to Rugers so I say spend the little extra and get a gun that will outlive you and probably 3 or 4 generations. Don't go by everything you hear about disassembly, if you go by the book everything comes apart and goes back together just fine. There are differences between taking down a Mark III and a Mark II and I think that is what gets people into trouble. I've owned probably 7 or 8 over the years (from stock fixed sight models through the long barrel target models with adjustable sights), and all have shot very good and retained their value. Currently I have 2 Mark III's in the 5.5" bull barrel with adjustable sights (one is threaded for a suppressor) and I'm quite happy with both. Both shoot everything I feed it (so far).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

I have the MKIII and love it. Don't know about current pricing but that sounds high. Have you tried Bud's?
    (Just checked, $259 at Bud's but out of stock.)
    Yes it is a bit of a pain to disassemble the first few times but it gets fairly easy with experience. (I know this is heresy to some but I don't clean it every time I shoot it!)

When I chose it I was told by the clerk that it was a better choice than the S&W, for what that's worth. He thought the Smith was more fussy about ammo I think. As for quality and accuracy there's no problem.

I also have a Ruger Single Six which is a nice SA revolver for target shooting.

Good luck in your quest!
    Last edited by RickD; March 1st, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Allegheny County)

I have a MKII 22/45 (bought used), and it shoots great. From what I can tell there's not much difference between a MKII and a MKIII, and it's probably easier to find a used MKII floating around out there.

Mine's got a bull barrel, and I put a set of fiber-optic sights to help my eyes out a little. It's very accurate, not at all picky with ammo, and disassembles just fine. The first couple time I cleaned it, I had to have the manual out to make sure I did everything right. After that, it was just like any other :-)

Good luck! and hope you enjoy whatever you eventually get!

(Monroe County)

I own most of the guns you mentioned and they are all great guns in thier own way but , you might want to also consider a revolver, a rervolver will dramatically expand your shooting expereience because you will be aBLE TO SHOOt many different types of .22 ammo , e.g .22 shorts, .22 cb's, .22 subsonics etc , all great for just a day plinking in the backyard or just removing pesky critters retc.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    . . . it's probably easier to find a used MKII floating around out there.
    Exactly what I'd recommend. I've seen used MkIIs in as-new condition priced from $185 to $250 depending on the dealer and if the pistol was blued or SS, or what barrel length or weight it had. Why buy new when a little patience and and enjoyable search might save you some $$$.

Elk Co Ammo and Arms in St. Marys has three or four used Mk II or III pistols at any given time. I bought a nice blued Mk II there about a year ago for $200, looked new. Wicked accurate, and pretty gosh-darned reliable, too.

Disassembly of a Ruger Mk I, Mk II, or Mk III pistol is not difficult. The only trick to reassembly is making sure the hammer spring yoke is correctly aligned. Once you've done it, it's a piece of cake. And if you do it the first time using illustrated instructions, it's also very simple.

Noah

I have a ruger mark I that I got from my grandpa that he bought new in '68 and it's really accurate. If I was buying new i would get a browning buck mark. A friend of mine bought one and it's a very nice gun and really accurate.

(Chester County)

+1 on the Ruger. Reassembly isn't at all "tricky" once you've done it a couple times. Follow the directions and you're good to go. I love shooting mine.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Gotta Go Ruger

Another vote for Ruger's MKIII. Solid, heavy like a bigger pistol, so practice keeps you used to the weight of a bigger handgun.

Watch disassem. and reassem vids. on Youtube. Good ones there. It isn't hard to do, just a little tricky the first time.

I have a MKIII Hunter and 5.5" Bull Barrel. Both have been excellent with one exception. The Bull Barrel needed the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor right from the start. That gun would not eject the old cases no matter what I tried until I replaced the extractor with the Volquartsen. Since then it has been trouble free. Google it and you will see what it is. If you get a Ruger it is a good idea to have the Exact Edge on order or in your range bag.

Also the Ruger Single Six revolver is an excellent 22lr choice!

LTC

(Clinton County)

I have a MKII also, very reliable, and accurate, yes cleaning can be tricky untill you've done it a few times,if I'm in a hurry and dont feel like going thru the tear down process, I just take the grips off and flush good with 2&2 gum cutter, then oil good, never had a problem with it and it eats everything I've put in it, hope this helps.
    P.E.t.A.=people eating tasty animals!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast